Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Which board

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I am 5ft 8" 173cm and 10 1/2 stone size7 feet What size board should i buy? 1 weeks riding experience please help
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Next trip find a resort/chalet that's a manufacturer's test centre and ride as many as you can until you find one you really like.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would suggest 155cm, plus or minus a few cm (if you see yourself riding freestyle, i.e. doing tricks, you may want around 153, but if you're thinking of advancing towards more off-piste conditions, you could go as high as 158-160). As for width, you basically want it to be as narrow as possible with no serious chance of toe or heel drag. If possilble, put bindings on the board at whatever angles you feel most comfortable at, and put on your snowboard boots and strap in. With walls not too far away from you for balance, lean nice and far forwards and nice and far back. If your toes/heels do not touch, but come close when you're really leaning, you're set.
Also, if you are looking for a board on the cheaper end, try to go for sandwich/sidewall construction over cap construction (in sidewall boards you will see a metal edge, then a sort of wall, then at about a 110 degree angle to this is the top of the board, like this ==> ./''''' In cap constructions, you will see the metal edge and then the topsheet of the board just starts and sort of curves up to the flat top of the board, like this ==> .(''''' ). While expensive cap construction boards can be good, the cheap ones tend to fall apart fairly easily. Cheap sidewall boards are in general more durable.
As a last point, it is better to go for a lesser know company's intermediate board than a well know company's begginer board. You are just paying for the name. Begginer boards are nice at first, because they are so soft and forgiving, but you quickly grow out of them because they vibrate or "chatter" at high speeds, and are generally too soft to really put your weight and power into them.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Unless you are planning to spend a month or more on the slopes this year, I would recommend finding a good shop near you in Manchester that rents boards. For my first few years I rented boards from Boardwise in London. They were much better than the stuff in resorts because the rental stock was always sold off cheap at the end of the year and then they buy new gear for the next season.

With 1 week's experience, you will be improving so fast that after another 3 weeks you will have completely out grown the board that is right for you today. If you buy the board now that will still be testing you after another 3 weeks of riding, you may find it hard to ride now and it will inhibit your improvement. Having ridden a top end board before i was ready (thankfully not having bought it!) I know that they can be a pig to ride if you do not have the necessary technique. I doubt that anyone will have sufficient technique after 1 week.

Buying a board is not a good financial decision for most of us. If you only ride two weeks a year, you will be yearning to replace the board long before it has paid for itself. Buying a board is an emotional decision (and one that I recommend when the time comes) and if I was you I would wait until you have started to reach your potential and you know what sort of board you are aiming for.

Of course, if you're loaded and just want to spend, and can afford to replace the board in two years time, then all of the above can be ignored!

Does that help?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks guys i went for a 153 as suggested by ponder. Tony good sound advice but unfortunately im a bit impulsive i bought a intermediate board, i have skied for years and found boarding quite easy to pick up so i "should" be ok after a couple of days riding on it. Also i probably will buy a new one in a couple of years but thats the reason i am not loaded. I intend to keep skiing aswell as riding therefor i dont imagine myself ever being described as an expert rider so the board should see me right for a while.
once again thanks guys.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
hey anyone here know of the rossignol nuts 160?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My brief look on the net has revealed that is is a beginners board.

quote from the site linked below.

"THE MUTTS NUTS" A perfect board for those of you just starting out. Its forgiving enough for the newcomer, whislt being livley enough to see you through to the next level.

http://www.edge2edge.co.uk/snowboard_all_mountain.htm#nuts
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy