Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Toussuire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're looking for a reasonably priced family ski drive holiday with a bunch of weary adults and snowboard/ski mad kids. Have been reading about La Toussuire, has anybody got any recommendations or comments about this resort, would really appreciate any feedback before we book?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BeckyBB, I've skied in St Sorlin D'Arves at half term in 2006 and 2007, trip report is here. The Les Sybelles area which they are both part of is large with 300km of pistes but not challenging and the lift system is not the fastest. Not as busy or expensive as the better known French resorts. St Sorlin is quite a pretty village. La Toussuire functional and Le Corbier (the other resort) pig ugly. I would think there would not be too many English visitors in La Toussuire, a search will show up other threads.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Dear Colin,
Thanks for your comments, it's really helpful to get some feedback. Any rcommendations regarding family accommodation?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BeckyBB, Not for La Toussuire I haven't stayed there but I could help with St Sorlin. I think Frosty was a La Toussuire fan might be worth trying him if search doesn't come up with anything.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BeckyBB, I've been here many times and learnt to ski there. Its not a super pretty town but the views from the top are very good and its generally doorstep skiing to much of the (cheap) accomodation.The skiing is set up quite well, particularly for intermediates with everything in La T in a large bowl which you only leave to go to neighbouring resorts. Les Soldenelles is the nicest place to stay and is virtually (but only just not quite) slopeside ski in/out. Les Soldenelles has a pool and very good food, its a solid three and half star hotel. Its sister hotel is Les Airelles opposite actually on the slope, no pool but still good and even more convenient, both hotels have family suites that connect (I think). Then its basic two star, pensions and lots and lots of self catered, the tourist office will aim you in the right direction. The slow lifts that Colin B refers to are, surprisingly, the new drags between Le Corbiere, La Toussuire and St Sorlin (there used to be a bus link only) all the others I remember being ok, normal chairs etc. Prices have gone up a little but I found it (06) still cheaper than most other places I visited in France that year. they opened a small modern bowling alley three years ago which together with the new lifts was the most radical thing to happen here for years, until monsieur Vidal won the Olympics in Salt Lake. I plan to revisit this year in January.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 15-07-08 8:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BeckyBB, If you go to La Toussuire and want lessons, go to see Marilyn and William at the ESI and tell them Charlotte sent you. They're lovely people. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
BeckyBB, if you go the ESF route then I found Nadine Bonnel excellent. If you don't mind a basic, very old but charming chalet then ask the tourist office about Madame Augert's chalet next to the piste above Raviere (sp?). I stayed here with a bunch of friends a few years ago, its probably the oldest place in La T but practically in the piste. Its not luxurious and as long as you have no complete beginners I'd say its a good place to stay. Also I think you can buy a day ticket to the pool and spa in Les Soldenelles if your not staying there too if you want to swim after skiing.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski,

What is the ESI? I think I got the Ecole du Ski bit but I was expecting an F next! Where abouts is it and can you prebook online before we get there? Any advice about prebooking ski hire at all? Sorry for bombarding you with questions, just a bit enthusiastic having got the flights and accommodation sorted! Thanks! wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
scoobstedmunds, the I stands for Internationale - http://www.esi-toussuire.com/
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pam W Thanks for the translation, sorry bit late when I was last on and slightly brain dead! Does anyone know what the english is like in the ski school classes? My kids have done ESF before and been fine, but they had only English children in their classes. I get the impression there might be more French children at La Toussuire. I'd still like my 7 year old to have lessons, but the older 12 and 14 would probably prefer not to anyway!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
scoobstedmunds, I'd ring the school and ask - use the intro from Charlotte, above. In our local ski school classes practically all the kids are French, and it might be the same in LT - then even if the instructors themselves can speak some English, logically most of the chat will be French. My daughter, at 5, coped fine in a completely German class in Austria, but it depends on the child - I don't think my grand-daughter would have done (she had 1 to 1 private lessons at Christmas - doting grandmother!). If your son has done ESF classes before and enjoys his skiing he'd probably be fine.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy