Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you know when you need more advanced boots?

Poster: A snowHead
As most will know I am on my first pair of boots, Head 8.8's. As will most first boots they are probably a tad on the big side, but I think I'm skiing OK in them for the level that I'm at.

We see lots of posts about how to tell when boots are worn out, and lots of posts which agree that the snugger and more accurate the boots fit the more control you have over the skis (which I would probably notice if I had the same boot model, but a better fit). What I would like to know is assuming you only look at ability (rather than whether the boots fit or whether they are worn out), how can you tell if you need a higher level of boot design?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, I really found over the past couple of seasons that I just couldn't transmit what I was trying to do with the skis through the boots. I could feel that the pressure at the cuff was not even and led to the ski wandering around at high speeds or over crud. One boot is better but the other (even after some surgery on the plastic) just won't flex properly for me. They were ok for the first 8 weeks but now are just annoying the hell out of me.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Sat 8-11-08 0:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, when yours are the wrong colour and the higher levels are the right colour.... wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Strange, never heard of a female needing a reason before to buy more new footwear.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
When your boots fit and they don't cripple you after 20mins - then it's time for new boots wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, You've really asked 2 questions. When do you need more advanced boots and when are they worn out.
More advanced normally means stiffer with less padding, giving a closer fit between your foot and the boot's shell. Movements are transmitted to the ski quicker and more precisely, but also it makes them less forgiving and also less comfortable. When you ski at higher speeds, forces will increase and the boots will be subjected to more pressure. If they're not up to the job, they will feel as though the available flex has been used up, almost like a car's suspension hitting the bump stops. You'll feel like the boots are vague and not able to transmit your control movements to the skis as you want.
Worn out, excess movement within the boot, they don't feel as snug as before, again leading to a lack of performance. The boots will feel a bit dead and lacking life like they used too.
With the amount of use yours have had, they should still be fine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum wrote:
(which I would probably notice if I had the same boot model, but a better fit).

IMO that model boot is about two levels below where achieving a better fit through significant bootfitter work is really worthwhile.

The liner thickness/shell stiffness/direct control tradeoff ladder Spyderman writes of doesn't even start until you get further up the pricing scale. Below that, it's -all- price point and fashion driven. Again, IMO and YMMV.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
when the smell causes your eyes to water
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Spyderman, That's the explanation I was looking for - I can comprehend the concept of a suspension system that is bottoming out, thanks Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
stoatsbrother wrote:
Megamum, when yours are the wrong colour and the higher levels are the right colour.... wink
So Megamum, do they go with your new ensemble? wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Colour does it for me.......try hiring some "advanced/expert" boots (preferably in different colours) and see if your skiing can cope with the boots. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Windymiller wrote:
When your boots fit and they don't cripple you after 20mins - then it's time for new boots wink

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
New boots? Every 10 years or so Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Boredsurfing wrote:
New boots? Every 10 years or so Twisted Evil

Why? you don't use them wink Laughing
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spyderman, Just change with the 'fashion' Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Megamum, You need a stiffer boot when you don't feel any resistance against your shin when you flex forward. As for fit, obviously the better the boot fits the better it performs. However at your level a generally snug fit will be fine. Discomfort is over-rated! Shocked I change my boots every 5 years or so which is about 150 weeks skiing. Men wear them out quicker! rolling eyes rolling eyes Very Happy
ski holidays
Megamum, why did you buy boots that don't fit?
snow report
You may not need more advanced boots, simply new boots that fit properly. However the trouble with beginner or low intermediate comfort boots is that they have lots of padding which flattens out fairly quickly. My first boots were Salomon Performa 7s in a size 23 (I am a uk shoe size 4 with small heels and ankles). They were bought from S&R. They were fine whilst I was in my snowplough days but after 3/4 years I was quite frustrated at my lack of progress.

It was only last year that it came out in conversation that I shouldn't be able to move my ankles around quite so much in my boots. Also my toes were nowhere near the front. My boyfriend did a shell check and there was probably about 2 inches clearance at the heel when apparently you are meant to have around 15-20mm. We were in Canada and one of the bootfitters helped out by sticking loads of extra padding inside just to see me through the last couple of days.

Before we went to France later that year I bought some new boots after being properly fitted at Ellis Brigham and they said I should be in a size 22 (not 23). Strangely S&R still measured me as a 23! I now have Salomon Idol 8 (as they are one of the few that go that small) and my skiing was turned around overnight! For once the skis went precisely where I wanted them to, so it really does make a huge difference having boots that aren't too big.

The main benefit for me with a higher intermediate boot is that the padding is a bit thinner and also more dense so it won't pack out nearly as quickly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy