Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

what length of ski for young children?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
just wanting to know what size skis our kids should be in
we are just renting and not considering buying, but each time we go skiing (snowdome) they seem to get different ones.

the 4 yr old can just about manage linked turns from the top of the slope now.
she is 106cm and about 15kg. i think she has had 90s and 100s.

the 6 yr old is 118cm and 18kg.
he can do confident linked snowploughs and parallel traverses, at fast and slow speeds with excellent control
he is usually given 100cm skies which we usually change and ask for 110cm.

what would be the best sizes for them?

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
blueberry, when I asked easiski about this, she said little ones should have skis no higher than chest height, and that kids often came to her with skis much too long. But obviously strong and competent kids could manage something a bit longer. I bought 60cm skis for my grand-daughter, following easiski's advice. But they weren't easy to find.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
i think the first year we tried them out skiing (would have been 2 and 4) the little one had titchy 60cm skis

but now they are able to get around and we are hoping to be off on all the blue and green runs, not stuck on the nursery slopes this time.

do you think the shorter the ski the easier?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
slikedges wrote:
I was told a rough guide of less than 8yr.s chest or shoulder and more than 8yr.s chin or mouth. Above 12yr.s size as you would an adult. It depends on their physical size for age and ability. Yours sound like competent skiers so whilst for most kids the advice is to lean towards shorter, yours may well handle something with a little growing room!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
slikedges, self quoting rolling eyes rolling eyes Confused wink Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, everyone knows the more times you say something the better it gets rolling eyes wink Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
slikedges, any thoughts about boots for the 4 yr. old? Aren't skis tertiary at this point? Should these kids really be in rear entry boots?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

any thoughts about boots for the 4 yr. old

One thing that's always amazed me about skiing with kids is how rarely they moan about the boots. In the hire shop, get measured, try a pair on, fall over, stamp about a bit to see what a big noise you can make, and whether you can stand on your brother's toes, and off to go. I suppose their feet are more pliable - which obviously means it could be damaging to have the boots too small, but then they're only in them a couple of hours a day. When I compare hiring ski boots for my 4 year old daughter to trudging round the shops looking for school shoes which met her exacting requirements of style and colour.... rolling eyes
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any thoughts for my daughter who will be 3 years 1 month and is already 100cm tall? It will be her first trip. 14 nts to Tignes. She is already very sporty and can swim alone and does Micro Sports every week. She keeps asking when we are going skiing too!! Bless her...

Cant decide between a 67cm (Rossi and Dynastar) or K2 do a 76cm ski....??

I'm buying as I have another daughter that will grow into them as well and as we do at least 3 weeks a season they will pay for themselves no problem.

Do I go shortest you can and get the 67's or as she is the size of a 4 year old go for the bigger ones?

Cheers...Alex
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks for the replies.

i'll take more note next time where the skis come up to on them, and maybe try the 4yr old out on the 90 rather than 100cm skis.
we'll have a couple more trips to the snowdome to consolidate before we are away to the real stuff, so i might try diff skis each time, and decide what is best before i pre-order the hire skis on line for the actual holiday.

we are ok for boots - have just bought some salomon T2s for the little one, we must have tried on every tiny boot in the shop before we found some she was happy with. everything rubbed or pressed somehwere..... she does have quite dodgy shaped feet though and badly pronated ankes with very high insteps. last year we got nasty blisters on the tops of her feet and they looked terribly sore but she didn't complain too much about it luckily. i am hoping primarily the fact they are new boots not old worn out hire boots, they will have much better padding in them which will help to relieve the pressure points.

can i also ask while i'm here - what length ski for adults - unless i need to look somewhere else or at an old thread?
i am 156cm, 60kg, just learnt to carve last season and happy on red runs. i can get down blacks but with no style, and not really bothered about going off-piste. i've been using 145cm recently which seem ok but never really tried anything else.

thanks
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy