Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les arc 1800

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, thinking of going to les arc 1800 either new year which will be a little cheaper or the school holidays in febuary. Which would be best for snow, que`s etc? Thanks
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It will be busier in half term, but in a typical year snow depths are likely to be greater in February. I've skied in Les Arcs for the last few New Years and the majority of the pistes were open albeit with thin snow cover a couple of times when the season got off to a poor start. My preference would be for New Year as I'd rather risk poor snow than the certainty of a very busy resort. Not entirely sure about prices, but I'd guess slightly cheaper at New Year.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar, Everything I had heard about Les Arcs was that New Year was just as busy as 1/2 term and is a huge holiday? I hear that Xmas week is actually a quietish one?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
thefatcontroller, last Christmas seemed significantly quieter than the New Year week. I've avoided most of February for the last few years but my impression was that it was a bit busier than NY.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies. What kind of nightlife exists in les arcs 1800?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
paulrfair wrote:
Thanks for the replies. What kind of nightlife exists in les arcs 1800?

Usual mixture of bars, some quiet, some rowdy, a bit of live music, choice of restaurants, a couple of late night clubs which run until the early hours, a cinema, usual kind of stuff.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
paulrfair, have you got kids or going with teachers?

We had a big group 40 or so in 1800 about 5 years ago for new year week - groups of 5 or 6 in separate shoeboxes and it worked really well. Everyone met at 09:30 at the bubble ready to split into groups, and then we have a 'post-match' beer spot (usually the bottom of charmettoger) and then could arrange the evening entertainment. Busy, yes definitely but still skiable..

If I was going with kids I might leave it til easter, If I was going with teachers I'd definitely do new year in preference to 1/2 term. I'm going to be in Les Arcs for the season and seriously considering going home at 1/2 term as I dislike that level of busy-ness, my sisters family might have other ideas however...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went to 1800 last easter, and it was very quiet. Night life was almost non existant.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Going with the missus and our seven year old who are both up to red standards. Dislike the crowds myself, but stuck with school holiday times and my wifes holiday times. Just worried about snow conditions over new year. Im going skiing again in march so new year would suit me, but i think the missus would prefer feb?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Poor snow can significantly reduce what is skiable in Les Arcs. Personally I would go for February when it will not only be more likely that there is enough snow but is much more likely to be sunny. I was there the third week of February last and didn't find it all that crowded.

If you ski with a ski school, of course, you bypass all the lift queues anyway.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
paulrfair wrote:
Going with the missus and our seven year old who are both up to red standards. Dislike the crowds myself, but stuck with school holiday times and my wifes holiday times. Just worried about snow conditions over new year. Im going skiing again in march so new year would suit me, but i think the missus would prefer feb?

I will be there over half term staying in rob@rar's apt, I will be with the handbrake (wife wink ) and 9 year old son, if you fancy meeting up with a fellow snowHead for a ski or a beer or two give me a shout.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Like rob@rar, we've been in Les Arcs over New Year a couple of times, and would put it as one of my favourite resorts. Would agree about the thinness of snow at New Year, and this is the case for a lot of places at this time or year. Would also say we had the pleasure of feet of freshies on New Year's day. snowHead It is quiet over Christmas, and does tend to busy up over New Year, but cannot honestly say we had unbearable waits for chairs or gondolas. This is pretty much what to expect in any French resort over this time of year in our experience. We DID however make an enormous error one lunchtime one year and waited the best part of an hour to get served in the Arpette restaurant - I think it was being used by a tour grp or hotel on a voucher basis, and we hit it at the same time Sad
The first year we did full board, and were a bit apprehensive about having to come in over lunchtime, but in fact it was quite nice to come in an have a warm up and good face stuff in the hotel before heading out again. Les Arcs is so well designed that you seem to get from sector to sector quite quickly , and they have lots of nice picnic tables and toilet areas on the piste too, so there's none of this trying to find loos or places to eat if you want something a bit more civilised than perching on your skis. Cannot comment on the eating out, as have always been in a hotel.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MarjMJ wrote:
We DID however make an enormous error one lunchtime one year and waited the best part of an hour to get served in the Arpette restaurant - I think it was being used by a tour grp or hotel on a voucher basis, and we hit it at the same time

It is often very busy there. Eat by noon or after 3pm during school holidays.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
72 or is it 78% of those who ski in Paradski are French. The great thing about the French is they love their lunches. You then learn to ski in Les Arcs and La Plagne over lunch as the slopes are very, very quiet but don't tell everyone. SShhh Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
rob@rar wrote:
MarjMJ wrote:
We DID however make an enormous error one lunchtime one year and waited the best part of an hour to get served in the Arpette restaurant - I think it was being used by a tour grp or hotel on a voucher basis, and we hit it at the same time

It is often very busy there. Eat by noon or after 3pm during school holidays.

Good advice it would seem, I haven't yet managed to get served in a Les Arcs piste restaurant without a significant wait Skullie
latest report
Boredsurfing, People move around quicker in Les Arc on the faster lifts hence they get to the restaurants quicker. In La Plagne would will in most of the people sitting up on slow lifts NehNeh NehNeh NehNeh

Fav restaurants. Les Arcs..

La Ferme in Villarogier
In Arc 1600 behind the chairlifts there is a grat restaurant where a very buxom lady serves great 'sandwich American'.

La Plagne

Bottom of the red into La Roche. Great Restaurant
La Ferme Du Caesar in Montchavin
and the restaurant at the top of the first chair out of Montchavin

Always end up in one of these for lunch Toofy Grin . Getting hungry thinking about them
ski holidays
There's a review of La Plagne restaurants from last season here
snow conditions
Boredsurfing, Your dedication to duty in trying to eat in all of them to review for snowheads is to be admired Toofy Grin
ski holidays
paulrfair, We stayed in 1800 (in rob@rar, very nice apartment) half term this year and are returning again next year. We had excellent conditions and it did not seem overly crowded don't think we ever were stuck in a queue that took very long to clear pistes were a little crowded on some of the motorway sections but we had a great time.
latest report
Quote:
="Gregd

I will be there over half term staying in rob@rar's apt, I will be with the handbrake (wife wink ) and 9 year old son, if you fancy meeting up with a fellow snowHead for a ski or a beer or two give me a shout.

Hopefully we have different half-terms or it could be a little cramped Laughing
snow report
kevinrhead & Gregd, yes different times Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Eat by noon or after 3pm during school holidays.

Good advice for any resort really. We tend to ski over French Lunch hour - all that nice empty piste to ourselves snowHead Laughing snowHead Toofy Grin snowHead
snow conditions
MarjMJ, SSShhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh wink Laughing
ski holidays
I've not read the other replies so dont know if im repeating but.... I went to 1800 the first week of jan this year and then again at easter. Easter was busier than jan but it still wasn't 'busy'. Night life is good: chez bou bou's, red hot saloon, benji bar, the J.O., apokalypse, and ofcourse Le kebab for those 4am apres-apres ski munchies! The first time i went i was with 300 students, so ofcourse night life was gonna be good as we were gonna be making it! but the second time i was only with two girlfriends, and if im honest the nightlife was better!
Go go go.... I LOVE 1800!!!

Oh P.S. Go to Casa mia restaurant..... one of the best meals i have EVER had! Its at Terrasse du Miravidi, turn left coming out of the door oF chez bou bou's go over the bridge (not down the stairs) and its on the right. yum yum YUM! NehNeh
ski holidays
claireSKI wrote:
Oh P.S. Go to Casa mia restaurant.....

I agree, I've had a couple of very nice meals there.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy