Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Taking child on poma

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Our daughter (4 today) is learning to ski on dry slope. She can snow plough pretty well and can use the beginners' tow (the one with the handle to grab, or place in small of your back) but with supervision.

The next step is to teach her to use the poma, or to go up with her on one. I believe you can go up together - is there a technique for this?

Does anyone know if Snowzone (Braehead) lets you take her onto main slope at this level? As I say, she can go, stop and turn - just can't use the poma yet.

Any tips would be appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lorenzo, I think one of the requirements is that you have to be able to load an unload safely from the lift.. not sure though.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lorenzo, stand the child straddling your leg furthest away from the poma. Use as normal and the child uses your thigh as if it were a poma button.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know the Snowzone, but I've seen lots of pomas in France which don't allow 2 people to ride. Instructors seem to just send 4 year olds up on their own (even in private lessons) with some help from the liftie to give them an initial shove, and pick up the ones that fall off. They learn fairly quick. wink
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Lorenzo, As Frosty says...just be aware of the trip hazard with the little one's ski's.Kids tend to get bored very quickly on buttons(mine certainly did)and may start messing about with their ski's.So long as you yourself have strong technique there wont be a problem.Just get a firm grip on her coller and run straight,taking great care as you let the button go at the top.Sorry,no idea about Braehead.
BTW,as I'm sure you can see,kids learn very quickly.Get the first couple of tumbles out of the way...and she will be using the button like a pro Very Happy
I feel a proud parent moment coming Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Lorenzo, I was there last week with the kids (5 8 and 11). Like your daughter my youngest can snowplough etc but had never used a polma. I phoned in advance to see if I could take him on the slope and they said that I could - which I was really surprised at. All that I had to do was lift him up and we both went on together, making sure that he spread his legs and skis wide enough for the polma to go in between both our legs. Sounds difficult but was in fact quite easy and the staff were as always really helpfull.
Good luck
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We get 4yo's using the lift at our local dry slope quite easily. The biggest problem they have is catching the button - to which the answer is a helpful mum or dad. The *really* little ones you have to take up with them leaning on your leg, as described by Frosty.

I'm still at the stage of carrying our little one on the lift - but he is only 19 months.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
With the parents' permission I (and other instructors) take small kids up using the technique described by Frosty the Snowman. I don't think we would allow parents (or other non-instructors) to do it for insurance reasons, although we do let them assist with pulling down and positioning the button for kids who can ride the lift by themselves but aren't strong enough to pull the buttons down.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
our 4 yr old can manage poma lifts ok.
depending on how low the seat is and how stiff the spring is in it affects if she can get on it by herself - pr if we need to pull it down and help position it
but once she's on it and moving she rarely falls off and can get off safely where she wants to.

the smaller size ones on nursery slopes are much easier for her to manage than adult sized blue run ones,

as someone else said, they learn quick. it only took her a few goes to get the hang of it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy