Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bardonecchia/ Ryanair

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are still undecided about where to go in February for a week (7-14).

My partner, who is Italian, has a cousin who has a flat in Bardonecchia and we are maybe thinking of going there in February. The flights with Ryanair into Turin are really very cheap.

I have two questions:

Ryanair, as we all know, charge for checking in luggage. When taking ski boots (in a ski boot bag) - does this mean that you have to check in two bags (therefore, pay for 2 bags to be checked in too). In the past, I have put my ski boots into a big rectangular shaped bag with my ski clothes (I was only going for a few days though and not for a week, so I don't know if this would work for a week long trip). What does everybody else do when flying with Ryanair for a week and taking ski boots in addition to their luggage for clothes. There is a box on the Ryanair site that you tick if you are carrying sports equipment (this includes ski boots) - I ticked this but Ryanair want an extra £50 each to take the ski boots. Can these be taken on as hand luggage? We would not be carrying skis as we hire them.

The other question is: Bardonecchia does not seem that big (100km of piste). What is it like? Is it possible to buy a lift pass that covers both Bardonecchia and the Milky Way area (Sauze d'oulx, Sestriere, etc). We will be hiring a car from Turin airport, so transport between places would not be a problem. Is Bardonecchia reasonably snow sure or not?

Thanks in advance.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No - I used to work at the ski school there. You're best to buy lift passes per day for the area you are going to be at if you have a car

It "should" be snow sure but some reason it's not. If you are flying into turin the aosta vally has more snow sure resorts

There are other alternatives,; the aosta valley is full of small unlinked resorts

I now this forum will, as a norm, advise you to D-I-Y but mid for feb this is not really a good idea this late, some tour operators are much cheaper and much less stess. Crystal still have a few places left Italy and equity do some not too bad deals. If the worst come to the worst you could try us but have a look around and see with operators have spaces

Ryanair - best bet would be to try and book your flights and go through the bookings system right up to where it asks you for the credit card details - at least then you will know the total cost of the flight
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Wayne wrote:
No - I used to work at the ski school there. You're best to buy lift passes per day for the area you are going to be at if you have a car

It "should" be snow sure but some reason it's not. If you are flying into turin the aosta vally has more snow sure resorts

There are other alternatives,; the aosta valley is full of small unlinked resorts

I now this forum will, as a norm, advise you to D-I-Y but mid for feb this is not really a good idea this late, some tour operators are much cheaper and much less stess. Crystal still have a few places left Italy and equity do some not too bad deals. If the worst come to the worst you could try us but have a look around and see with operators have spaces

Ryanair - best bet would be to try and book your flights and go through the bookings system right up to where it asks you for the credit card details - at least then you will know the total cost of the flight

Thanks for getting back to me. I know all about the Aosta Valley - been and go there several times. We are going there over New Year to ski in Pila, Gressoney, Cervinia, etc.

I have costed the Ryanair flight right up to the credit card details and it is quite cheap.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You should ok then. I would book it as soon as decide you want to go as the cost will go up each day. As an example go to bmibaby and try to book milan manchester for the mid feb sat or sun.... over £300 each way plus taxes

I have only skied in the aosta valley a few times and from what I can recall it quite nice so you should have a good time
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jb1970 wrote:
We are still undecided about where to go in February for a week (7-14). My partner is Italian,

Dovunque sei in Italia, se vuoi venire a sciare a trentino e cerchi di risparmiare sui prezzi degli Alberghi, Ski Pass e lezioni di sci, deve solo contattarci. I nostri clienti vengono da tutto il Mondo e li abbiamo accontentati tutti. Se il viaggio in auto sarebbe troppo, possiamo anche aiutarti a trovare il biglietto aereo che parte da qualsiasi aeroporto in Europa.

Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Wayne wrote:
You should ok then. I would book it as soon as decide you want to go as the cost will go up each day. As an example go to bmibaby and try to book milan manchester for the mid feb sat or sun.... over £300 each way plus taxes

I have only skied in the aosta valley a few times and from what I can recall it quite nice so you should have a good time

We are going to the Aosta Valley over New Year. The trip in February is possibly to Bardonecchia/Milky Way area.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jb1970 wrote:
We are going to the Aosta Valley over New Year. The trip in February is possibly to Bardonecchia/Milky Way area.

If you go in Feb you should be OK for the snow. You have put it like this "Bardonecchia/Milky Way" but be aware that there is no link between these 2 ski areas. Also Bardonecchia is not one ski area it is 2, with a bus ride between them.

I'm sure you'll have a brill time the town is quite nice and the ski is good
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wayne wrote:
jb1970 wrote:

If you go in Feb you should be OK for the snow. You have put it like this "Bardonecchia/Milky Way" but be aware that there is no link between these 2 ski areas. Also Bardonecchia is not one ski area it is 2, with a bus ride between them.

I'm sure you'll have a brill time the town is quite nice and the ski is good

I know that Bardonecchia is split into two if you like and is not part of the Milky Way per se! Is the Milky Way (Sauze D Oulx/Sestriere) accessible from Bardonecchia by car?

Also, are these areas (Bardonecchia/Milky Way) suitable for intermediates and experts?

Thanks
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know that Bardonecchia is split into two if you like and is not part of the Milky Way per se! Is the Milky Way (Sauze D Oulx/Sestriere) accessible from Bardonecchia by car?

Yes, no problem. It is only a short drive up the road.

Also, are these areas (Bardonecchia/Milky Way) suitable for intermediates and experts?
In the milky way you will find every type of run you need. The are "really" steep blacks, zillions of miles of reds, etc.

It is such a big area I would suggest you park up at a different section each day and ski that area for the day then next day go to somewhere else. You will quickly ski all of Bardonecchia so having the milky way so close will be a big advantage.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Went to Bardonecchia last year, There is one bar and one restaurant. It is the quietest resort i have ever experienced. We were self catering and it was a two mile walk to the nearest shop to get some basic food/drink. So stock up!!!

The skiing is actually quite good once you get up onto the higher slopes, but the resort is by no means snow sure. I went in February last year and had no snow until the third day, we had to make for higher ground!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
i have been to bardoneccia in the spring and found the snow pretty shoddy. however, the milky way is only about half and hour in the car and easy to get to for day trips.

bardoneccia is an actual town, and a fairly charmless one at that. I think the Aosta valley might be nicer and better snow, or head up to mongeneve which is meant to be a lot nicer now that they have rerouted the highway through a tunnel.

turin airport is very well connected and we were skiing before lunchtime after catching an early flight.

enjoy!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne wrote:
jb1970 wrote:
We are still undecided about where to go in February for a week (7-14). My partner is Italian,

Dovunque sei in Italia, se vuoi venire a sciare a trentino e cerchi di risparmiare sui prezzi degli Alberghi, Ski Pass e lezioni di sci, deve solo contattarci. I nostri clienti vengono da tutto il Mondo e li abbiamo accontentati tutti. Se il viaggio in auto sarebbe troppo, possiamo anche aiutarti a trovare il biglietto aereo che parte da qualsiasi aeroporto in Europa.

Little Angel

So it's OK to tout, as long as you do it in a foreign language! rolling eyes Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
luigi wrote:
So it's OK to tout, as long as you do it in a foreign language! rolling eyes Toofy Grin

Me dispiace ma il mio L'italiano fa schiffo wink

Just enough to pass the basi 2nd language thingy, mind you my English is even badder/worsera
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Booked the flights last night with Ryanair. Edinburgh to Turin (we could have flown from Glasgow Prestwick) but the flight times from Edinburgh are slightly better and its not much further away.

Anyhow - including baggage, credit card fee and priority boarding - £165.56. Hopefully, we can get the apartment in Bardonecchia now!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
For mid Feb that's a good price for flights. You did well. If you don't have an appartment already booked you can sometimes get quite good deals from LastMinute.com or try the local tourist office. I'm sure you have a great time.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy