Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Obsethed vs Volkl Mantra? Discuss...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
If you were to fit a pair of Marker Duke's to both of these skis which would be the best in the following areas:

- on piste? and why?
- in the POW? and why?
- best combination? and why?

Finally, if you had to choose one to use as your only ski what would you choose?

I appreciate any advice that you can give.

Thanks

Powderhunter
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have never skied the K2s, but I can vouch for the fact that Mantras have amazing grip and performance on pist, hardpack and even ice, on surfaces where the K2s would flap.

Suspect that the K2's softness might make them more comfortable under certain powder conditions.

It depends on what percentage you're on and offpiste, and if you really intend to tour. My mantras are my touring skis. Note that the K2s are probablky about a pound heavier per ski, which could be a factor if touring...

If forced to chose, i would chose a mantra without a doubt.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skibomb wrote:
Have never skied the K2s, but I can vouch for the fact that Mantras have amazing grip and performance on pist, hardpack and even ice, on surfaces where the K2s would flap.

^^^ what skibomb says.

I've also got the Mantra on Marker Dukes, not skiied the K2's. Couldn't say about K2's in powder but can speculate with confidence that the Mantra would eat them alive on hardpack, crud and chop.

I had my hands on the new Obsethed in S&R this week and was really surprised by how soft they felt to bend.....really really soft. Don't they have a bit of rocker on them this year too? So night and day versus the Mantras, these are two very different skis.

Unless I lived in North America and was in the powder everyday (and then I'd be on Icelantic Shamans Toofy Grin) it would be Mantra's all the way...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
On piste - Mantra only skied them on bulletproof glacier but I'd be confident

In proper pow - Obsethed - softer flex, mini rocker (though this might be marketing bollux) I'd guess.

Think the Mantras might be the new B2s or Missions (acclaimed widely, heavily advertised, on the feet of every punter in a season or 2) while the Seths have gone naff as graphics have got steadily worse. wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Not had the Volkls out in proper deep pow yet but with the big 130mm nose they floated along very nicely in the soft stuff, no way you'll sink the tips. If you like to hoon it hard in the pow then these will do it.

If you like K2 skis then would be worth giving the Coomba a try alongside the Obsethed - people seem to really like them.

*shocked* anyone would compare the Mantra with that shoddy B2 noodle, Razz
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
johnnyrotten, Hey.. the B2's took me from being a 4 day skier to feeling that they were noodles at 10 weeks. Great beginners ski Toofy Grin
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is quite an easy one.

Mantra = old Explosive, which has been made since the mid-late nineties. (Very few tweeks over the years ignored).

It's still being sold and is still popular because it is AWESOME.

The Osethed is a seriously progressive ski, the initial change from Seth Pistol to SV were small but the Obsethed now has a mini rocker, not so much that make it a challenge on piste but with Dukes you'll be breaking trail like a freight train.

Both skis really need to be skied hard on piste to get the most out of them. The Obsethed will be far better in pow. The Mantra will be slightly better in nasty chopped up / cruddy / nasty snow.

I've had Explosives and would like another pair just for the quiver, awesome charging ski but I would probably get the Obsethed if I was making a choice now.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
parlor wrote:
The Mantra will be slightly better in nasty chopped up / cruddy / nasty snow.

The Mantra will be heaps better in wet snow.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex, ? A ski the size of the obsethed and with rocker will aqua-plane wet snow no problems. In Europe at least, maybe not in America Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor, different criteria: lateral control (pick Mantra with long contact zone and less chance of being thrown about), overall speed (pick the Obsethed, it will have a shorter contact zone in wet snow and be more flexible so plane quicker).

Which brings me to the other point: Mantra for speed below -15F esp. in fresh snow.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all the input. For me to better understand your views, how do these two compare with last years Seth Vicious? I skied the ones with the red top sheet and had fluorescent orange underneath, I think they were 2007 model. They were really stable, I felt that they could turn a lot easier than I thought they would and I felt so confident quickly stopping or shedding speed. How would that change with these two models and how would that improve with a pair of Marker Duke's or Baron's?

Thanks all.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
PowderHunter,

Don't know that ski but the Duke is a hefty binding with a solid plate...so they may well beef up the ski somewhat... whether that is a good or bad thing for you, is up to you.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy