Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Return of the Weather Outlook Thread

Poster: A snowHead
I would say pretty good chance of snow on 24th.

Look at wetterzentrale.de and go to GFS on left hand side. Click on niedersclag (precip) for next week and you'll see high pressure which is currently over UK fades back into mid atlantic and low pressure rolls down fom scandinavia into the alps.

http://www.wzkarten.de/pics/MS_065460_g05.png

still dreaming
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ringingmaster wrote:
kitenski wrote:

A hint of maybe something around the week after, but too far away to be meaningful.........

A HINT??? Shocked - looks like knee deep powder to me!!....

Yes, grasshopper Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
ringingmaster wrote:
kitenski wrote:

A hint of maybe something around the week after, but too far away to be meaningful.........

A HINT??? Shocked - looks like knee deep powder to me!!....

Ok, this is the latest wiggly, please let me know where there is anything but a hint? There is no agreement on the models, some are going for zero precipitation, some are not.

ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kitenski wrote:

Ok, this is the latest wiggly, please let me know where there is anything but a hint? There is no agreement on the models, some are going for zero precipitation, some are not.

As I said in the original post - I can dream. Poor attempt at humour I know, but that is the week I will be away!!

That said, the 06Z run shows much more precip than the 00Z run with some agreement between the models.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ringingmaster wrote:
As I said in the original post - I can dream. Poor attempt at humour I know, but that is the week I will be away!!

That said, the 06Z run shows much more precip than the 00Z run with some agreement between the models.

ah didn't realise that, however I still see very little in the 06z...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Well it was far colder today - and not just because of the wind. So I suppose that's a step in the right direction.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tuesday is shaping up to be interesting reading Meteo73 earlier Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kitenski wrote:

I have also realised that I was looking at 746 rather than 745 - it is making a big difference in both temperature and precip.
http://91.121.93.17/wz/pics/MS_746_ens.png
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ringingmaster wrote:
kitenski wrote:

I have also realised that I was looking at 746 rather than 745 - it is making a big difference in both temperature and precip.
http://91.121.93.17/wz/pics/MS_746_ens.png

Indeed, a huge difference!! Where is 745 then, must be the other side of a mountain or ridge????
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kitenski wrote:

Indeed, a huge difference!! Where is 745 then, must be the other side of a mountain or ridge????

I think that there are some mountains in that area somewhere!!! Toofy Grin

The closest place I recognise to 7-45 is Sauze d’Oulx
The closest place I recognise to 7-46 is Montroc

Les Arcs (Where I am going) is 6.8 - 45.6, so somewhere in between.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
amazed how quiet this thread is given that for the northern french alps at least 2 days of fresh snow, circa 30-60cm at 1500m is forecast from this evening, you guys put your skis away and headed off to the beach???? Smile I'm only just dusting mine off from their 2 year sleep Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skinutter, they're all off on their mountain bikes. I've put the car in the garage as we have to drive to Geneva airport tomorrow. Sad But I hope to get up on the first lift for a couple of hours before we leave.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skinutter, this is why March is off peak Smile
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Next week shaping up to be pretty good.....lucky for me! Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The bext 5 days or so look off the scale for epic deepness, hope it lasts for Easter
snow conditions
just in time for my birthday

which i will be spending in London Mad
ski holidays
Arno, you got another trip planned?
latest report
yep - easter
flights booked to lyon. will probably go to la grave
snow report
Arno, nice. I am off back to the GM, 3rd time lucky wink
ski holidays
Looks to be dumping on the Chamonix web cams
ski holidays
Around 15 - 20cms here so far. Maybe a bit more - it's been blowing around, so difficult to be sure.
ski holidays
Looking warm and wet for the (my) week starting 4th April. Sad
ski holidays
Very soggy all round this morning; not much of a freeze overnight by the look of it. The FL had better drop a bit or we will have a fair bit of rain. However, there is a lot of snow on the ground, so it might still be OK afterwards.
snow report
ringingmaster wrote:
Looking warm and wet for the (my) week starting 4th April. Sad

Too far out to be worried (yet.......)
latest report
looked like saturday was going to start up with a fl @ 1600m and drop through the afternoon from what i saw. Definately in for a soaking at 1000m at Praz but thats to be expected at this time of the year so not too worried, plenty of cover even there.
ski holidays
Quote:

Too far out to be worried (yet.......)

Chamonix meteo this morning said the outlook after the weekend was "very uncertain". Normally they just say "uncertain" so I guess that's good news, given the amount of rain around on some forecasts......
snow report
GFS is modelling a lot of snow across the centre of the French Alps down to around 1400 metres tomorrow afternoon and into Sunday. These 3hour charts are useful to gauge the intensity but a 50 cm dump across the Vanoise is looking quite possible. What do I care about Sunday's powder ... I'm not in Les Arcs until next weekend. snowHead Hopefully there'll be some freshish stuff left though. Smile

ski holidays
pam w, Do you expect the warmer weather to have a detrimental effect on some of the Espace Diamant resorts or is there enough snow on the ground? I know Les Saisies will be open for Easter without a problem ( as usual ) but what about Crest Voland, NDB and Praz sur Arly? Is there any chance that Praz will be open after 4 April? Will they use the new chair to get people up to the higher slopes and back? I know your are in the area and local knowledge is always the best Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Warmer weather always has a detrimental effect - but beyond the next few days the evolution of the weather is very uncertain, so it's hard to tell. The best of the skiing towards the end of the season will be at the top of Notre Dame - the slopes up there hold their snow well (ie the slopes round the Lac and Plan des Fours chairs, which are also amongst the best slopes in the Espace Diamant, fortunately). Notre Dame and Crest Voland clse on the evening of 13 April. There seem to be different closing dates kicking around for Flumet (maybe 29 March) and Praz sur Arly - but I don't think they would stay open beyond their stated dates, even if there is still snow. 4 April for Praz, I think. I did wonder if they would use the new chair in conjunction with the old higher one to cycle people round the top of Praz, and I guess they would if the bottom was really bad before 4 April, which seems unlikely now, thankfully. If Flumet is closed there is no way of getting on skis from Praz to Notre Dame de Bellecombe or Les Saisies - would be a case of driving. Definitely at that time of year I wouldn't stay down in the Arly Valley without a car, to get up to N.D de B or Les Saisies. There is still plenty of snow on the ground but you only ski on the top couple of inches! At the end of last season, despite heaps of snow on the ground, the top layer still got very sticky at times on the south facing slopes. I love the slushy slooshy snow but I don't see how anyone can love it so much when it gets so sticky that you just grind to a halt and get thrown forward - it's hard on the knees! It was like that yesterday on some of the south facing slopes but the rest was great. Today will see more snow deposited on the top of the domain, but will start with rain below 1800m - snow forecast and Chamonix meteo agree on that. It didn't freeze overnight last night - again.
ski holidays
pam w, Thanks for that, so Praz/Flumet will almost definately be shut when we are in Les Saisies from 5-12 April. It's what i was expecting anyway. I think I prefer Freeze/thaw to wet/warm so lets hope for some easter sunshine ( hope I haven't angered the weather gods ). On another point...could you recomend any day trips from Les saisies to other nearby resorts for that time of year ( we will have a car )? What is the drive like to La Clusaz or Bourg ( for Les Arcs ). What is Megeve ( and it's surrounding area ) like at that time of year (besides busy )?
snow report
kipper999, If the skiing at Les Saisies is deteriorating too much Megeve will be as bad. the best bet for a visit by car is definitely Les Contamines - the best of the skiing there is east facing and holds it snow very well. Reached very quickly by driving via Hauteluce to Belleville, then taking the gondola up (this route is not obvious from a small scale map, but you definitely don't want to go round via Megeve, which takes ages). Less than 30 minutes from Les Saisies. Yes, you could go to Bourg St Maurice and take the funicular up, but if the weather is very warm you'd probably be better off driving up to Val Thorens.

Flaine is another quite close possibility, and can make a nice change, but I've found the skiing there no better than Les Saisies, in terms of snow conditions. Meribel - also fairly close - will normally be worse, too.
snow report
pam w, if Meribel is close, is Courchevel an option? North facing, so keeps the snow better than Meribel IMHO...

But back on thread, looks like a slow warm up over the next 2 weeks, with perhaps a hint of something cooler for Easter...(based on wigglies for La Tania).

Potentially unsettled as well, typical April showers..........
ski holidays
kitenski,

"with perhaps a hint of something cooler for Easter...(based on wigglies for La Tania).

Potentially unsettled as well, typical April showers.......... "

Lets hope so
snow report
keeping an eye on the w/c 12th April for la tania....hope the control run brings the others along to the party temperature wise Smile

snow conditions
We are also going to La Tania on April 11th. Kitenski I am afraid i am too thick to understand these graphs but would appreciate an interpretation. I have two families relying on me to ensure a good weeks snow!
snow report
philipb, to early to say honestly, but it's either going to be +10 or -5 in La Tania on the 12th April!! More certainty the week before, as the lines are more joined up, and it looks like warming up to the 9th April, the a brief cooler period with some precipitation around..........
ski holidays
Kitenski, thanks for that. I will keep watching this space, the anticipation/worry is all part of the fun!
latest report
philipb, Remember too that the temperature prediction is for a height of (very rooughly) 1500m, so will usually be warmer lower than that, and cooler higher up, even once you are close enough in time for accuracy (i.e. when the lines become virtually merged).
snow conditions
philipb, I am no expert, but you can read all about the wigglies here: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14852

Lastest one is looking nice, but really too far away at the moment Sad

snow conditions
Anyone got any views on weather for the 3 valleys next weekend. From what I can see could be a fair amount of rain lower down this week?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy