Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Carroz - Advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi
Just wondered what experience people have had of the above resort, am looking to arrange a weeks skiing there first week in Feb., looks like the resort is at a lower altitude than some of the other resorts but does that effect the amount of snow it get's. We are a group of eight, looking to fly to Geneva, was just interested in getting any feedback or comments for people who have stayed there.
Thanks
Chris
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snow is usually ok especially further up. There is a link to Flaine but it is not always open. When I have been in February I found it very crowded with very long lift lines. It is very handy for Geneva and is a nice village.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bluestar-ale, I really like Les Carroz as a village, and a place to ski. It's pretty reliable for snow, as is most of the Grand Massif, due to the proximity to Mont Blanc, and in early February you should be fine. You need to be aware though that w/c 7/2 is a French half term (all of Feb is a French holiday week with 14/2 the most manic as it's also UK half term) - if you can travel 31/1/09 that would be better in terms of cost and crowds. We have accommodation in Samoens and Morillon, also Grand Massif - pm me if you need help with finding a property Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chris - I'm going to be totally biased here................it's great!!

Now for a more objective oppinion - whilst the village is at 1150 being part of the Grand Massif means that you are in the 4th largest ski area with 265km of pistes to explore. You can also get to Flain which give you good height if that's your thing. Snowfall is usually good, due to being in the shadow of Mont Blanc...but that's not the whole story....most of the Grand Massif is pasture land so you don't need much coverage to ski as you're not trying to cover rocks.... that aside if you do some research Les Carroz has a better snow depths than Les Arc, Meribel and Val D'Isere for the past 5 years.....

Queues aren't as bad as a lot of the "big name" resorts during the peak weeks.

Less than an hour from Geneva too!!

Some great Chalets (ok a great chalet see my sig)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have no chalet there but we spend 2 weeks in Les Carroz in March 08 and have skied there before when the wheather/avalanche risk were bad in Chamonix, which used to be one of our more regular destination before mini pp arrived.

The village charm in my view is OK but not fantastic. It has a small'ish town centre and has relatively limited night life although there are several bars in town centre for a quick beer before going home. Otherwise the town is wide spread and as is true in lots on resorts, on several levels so what may look close on the map may not be do-able in ski boots. The free bus service does not reach all parts of the resort so check before booking accommodation. The restaurants are unremarkable with the exception of Les Molliets which is a must if you in the area. Its at the bottom of a piste with the same name and having eaten there several times both at lunch and dinner times we've always had a great time. It is however out of town so in the evening you either have to drive or cab it. There are at least 2 standard resort supermarkets but if you are self catering i would pick all my stuff up from Sallanches which down in the valley.

There is no doubt that LC is part of a great ski domain so you want be disappointed with the piste skiing, but as pointed out earlier the links between domains are tenuous. Offpiste is fine with some easily accessible tree runs that are great and relatively safe after big snow falls. However for an accomplished offpiste skier you should make the effort to drive to chamonix/courmayer which under an hour away.

We chose LC because its a family friendly resort at a very reasonable price. Its a kind of place where you can afford to rent an entire self catered chalet and have room to spare. The lift passes are relatively cheap as are mountain restaurants. Would we go again; yes. Would we go again if we had no family probably not for a full week.

Hope this does not come across too negative but i thought you needed a more objective opinion.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have no chalet there but we spend 2 weeks in Les Carroz in March 08 and have skied there before when the weather/avalanche risk were bad in Chamonix, which used to be one of our more regular destination before mini pp arrived.

The village charm in my view is OK but not fantastic. It has a small'ish town centre and has relatively limited night life although there are several bars in town centre for a quick beer before going home. Otherwise the town is wide spread and as is true in lots on resorts, on several levels so what may look close on the map may not be do-able in ski boots. The free bus service does not reach all parts of the resort so check before booking accommodation. The restaurants are unremarkable with the exception of Les Molliets which is a must if you in the area. Its at the bottom of a piste with the same name and having eaten there several times both at lunch and dinner times we've always had a great time. It is however out of town so in the evening you either have to drive or cab it. There are at least 2 standard resort supermarkets but if you are self catering i would pick all my stuff up from Sallanches which down in the valley.

There is no doubt that LC is part of a great ski domain so you want be disappointed with the piste skiing, but as pointed out earlier the links between domains are tenuous. Offpiste is fine with some easily accessible tree runs that are great and relatively safe after big snow falls. However for an accomplished offpiste skier you should make the effort to drive to chamonix/courmayer which under an hour away.

We chose LC because its a family friendly resort at a very reasonable price. Its a kind of place where you can afford to rent an entire self catered chalet and have room to spare. The lift passes are relatively cheap as are mountain restaurants. Would we go again; yes. Would we go again if we had no family probably not for a full week.

Hope this does not come across too negative but i thought you needed a more objective opinion.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy