Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Think I have made a decision...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Thank you so much for all the advice you gave me on my last post, I really appreciated it. I've looked around and taken your advice and looked at the K2 one luv skis, but when I went into snow and rock at the weekend they suggested the burnin luv skis.

I have been trying to find a practical comparison between the 2 online for the level of skiier but can't seem to find one. I'm having difficulty knowing which one would be better for my level, I don't want the one luv to be too intermmediate, but then don't want the burnin luv to be too advanced! I ski mainly blues, some reds and the very very occasional black! I am looking to improve though this year and get some lessons.

I've found some 'one luv' skis for about £200 with bindings, so don't want to spend too much more than that on skis but want something that will suit me. Any other suggestions readily accepted!

Thank you so much again for anyone who replies..it's extremely helpful to me!

Oh also...does a 149cm ski sound about right...I'm 5'5?
xxx
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My g/fs looking at pretty much the same skis, The burnings are narrower more on piste nailing it about..where as the One luvs are a wee bit fatter and give you a bit more scope and probably a bit smoother and less effort.

They both cover the small skill range I think, so i think it all depends on you style
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
loopy85, 149 sounds like a snowblade to me - I'm 5'6" and skiing a 167. (Cue dozens of people berating me for having skis which are far too long. Laughing )
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
5'5" = 165, therefore 155-160 more likely to be right IMV. 167 also a possible choice, but 149 does seem short.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
loopy85, My skis - Elan Wave Magic - are supposedly more advanced than I am (I sound about your level), and I have also tried the top of the range in the same group. I noticed very little difference between them. Given this experience it seemed that skis of all levels were skiable at our level (provided we can flex them), its just that the top end ski has more to find when you get good enough for them. I have not regretted buying the more advanced ski that I own, and somehow I doubt that you would find the burnin luvs to much to handle if you are looking at another ski in the group - I guess they just may have more to offer when you get good enough to find it, and like me they will probably last you longer.

On the basis of my experience, I am going for a short break by air in Dec. and we are going to hire for ease of transport. I have no hesitation in picking an advanced ski on the basis of my experience with the Elans.

Mind you I am not petite and suspect that I will not have an issue in flexing a advanced ski, that might be more of a consideration for you, but I doubt it would be an insurmountable problem given 1/2 hr on an advanced ski.

Why not try them at a snowdome for 1/2hr to make sure?

N.B. Please note that I'm def. not an expert when it comes to skis - the above is just my own view based on my own experience, but I do think I am similar to you in expertise level.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
loopy85, I doubt you'd out-ski either the One Luv or Burnin Luv, it's just whether you want all-mountain flexibility or not that is the issue. I think 149 will be too short for you. I am only 158cm tall and use 155's, although my beginner skis were 147's. The longer ski will give you greater stability in long/carved turns and also help when you are trying a bit of off-piste.

I agree with the suggestion to try them out at a Snowdome but you may not get a choice of lengths in the demo skis - they are usually in the 161 to 171 bracket.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
loopy85, I'm 5'6" and have 159's. I would seriously advise against the 149. I tried a shorter ski and had real problems with 'twitching' which I was told was a result of the ski being too short (either that or they were trying to make me feel better) Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agree with those who say go for a longer ski - I'm just 5'2" and have 157's which are fine. I haven't got the K2's but several people I ski with have and really like the One Luv's - they are all intermediates skiing mainly reds and don't find them limiting. so I don't think they'd disappoint, especially at that price. I would agree with Megamum - if you can get yourself to a snowdome and try them out - you should then be able to try the lengths and decide whether you can spot the difference.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This might help...

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=43326
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
5' 5" = 165cm
I'm about 5'9" which is about 175cm and am happily skiing on 160's, but I reckon I could easily go a bit longer without too much problem, I would tend to agree with Schuss in Boots, and the others that you could no doubt handle something on the longer side of your comfort zone, maybe something around nose height?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, Ah, but the big problem with your advice is that we don't know how big loopy85's nose is... Toofy Grin Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
loopy85, how heavy are you? I'm about 8 1/2 stone and after testing both the One Luvs and Burning Luvs I bought the Ones. The Burnings would suit someone heavier but I couldn't make them work (I have no muscles rolling eyes ).

Do they come in 149s? I think they would be too short for you. I was torn between 153 and 160s. The 153s actually measure 160 tip to tip as they size them only on the bit touching the ground. They're sort of twin tip looking but they ignore the curly bits rolling eyes . I'm 5' 6" and bought the shorter ones (recommended by instructor) but I think the 160 would have been OK too.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jkust remember.. at some point you will start to go faster than usual for you... and if your skis start twitching all over the place it isn't half off putting Shocked I'd avoid going overly short.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
maggi, I'm pretty much the same height & weight as you & I love my Burnin Luvs! So I guess it's just down to personal taste... Toofy Grin

maggi wrote:
[ I was torn between 153 and 160s. The 153s actually measure 160 tip to tip as they size them only on the bit touching the ground.

Yes, I was going to mention that as well. I've got the 160s but they are actually a shade taller than me (& I'm 167cm). I think the new season Burnin Luvs are 158 & 163, so perhaps the 158s would be the ones for loopy85.

And personally, I would advise against going too short - I was persuaded to test various Salomons in 148 & 150 at the Xscape the other week, & wow did they feel short... I felt generally unsteady & I had to really give some thought to stopping as well. Then again, perhaps that's just because it's not what I'm used to. But as scarpa says, you will improve, & you will outgrow your skis more quickly if they are too short...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
loopy85, If you ski blues some reds and the occasional black unless you are going to ski the season it's unlikely you will need a off piste ski so go for the one luv in a 160. I know two ladies that have them. One lives in Austria but only skis about 28 days in a season, the other is my daughter and she skis about two weeks a year. They have had them for three seasons now and are nowhere near out skiing them.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy