Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pregnant Skiing

Poster: A snowHead
It's slightly odd from an evolutionary biology point of view. A man can easily father loads more babies and only a few need survive. A mother needs to invest more care in each potential genetic survivor.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
petemillis wrote:
Whitegold, But I assume it's ok for a woman to get stressed out and end up with high blood pressure through chasing around after the rest of the family, going shopping, doing the housework, driving a car, dealing with crap from everybody, holding down a full time job while knowingly pregnant.
What's the relevance of snowdepth to someone taking things easy on gentle greens?

Skiing is a non-essential activity.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's all a question about balancing risks - the problem is that the risks are not (easily) quantifiable.

Skiing whilst pregnant is safe(1)

(1)as long as you don't fall(2)

(2)Falling is probably not unsafe(3)

(3)As long as you don't injure yourself(4)

(4)Injuries whilst pregnant probably won't harm the baby(5)

(5)Serious injuries although they may not cause lasting problems to you, may cause harm(6)to the unborn child(7)

(6)Including death

(7)Assessment and treatment of serious injuries is more complicated in a pregnant woman(8 )

(8 )The treatment may not be risk-free for the baby (5,6)

And that's complicated enough, without adding in confounding factors like your fitness, general health, viability of the pregnancy, and other skiers.

So, asw97uk, are you gonna ski or not?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ski. Take it easy. what more of an excuse for a decadent long lunch, afternoon tea very gentle sliding holiday do you need?
Plus Its the last ski holiday before kids ... things are about to change... a lot. do it!
did I say take it easy? ( If only to make worried dads more relaxed too!)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Whitegold,
Quote:
Skiing is a non-essential activity.
So is doing the housework, running around after the family, getting the shopping, getting jiggy with it and so on. These are all things that could be be done by the man of the house, especially while wife is pregnant - but it seems that all the men of the houses are happy for their pregnant wives to deal with the same old poo-poo all the way through their pregnancy, but then worry when it comes to have a pootle down a green run. If you ask me, it's nothing to do with the men worrying for their pregnant wife's safety, but more to do with the men preferring not to have to think about the wife while on a skiing holiday. They'd rather turn round to pregnant wife and inist that she stay at home resting up (while looking after the house and the other kids of course) and he'll make the sacrifice of going skiing on his own (with his mates) to show how much he's concerned for her. Otherwise, of course, it means that the man might only get to ski half days, or perhaps even miss a day or three, as pregnant wife might end up giving him some feeling of guilt when pregnant wife wants to stay in the chalet or sit down half way through the day.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
petemillis wrote:
up4it, You take care you don't slip over and fall on your little chap while sledging now!

He hated it, cried the whole time, especially when i snowballed him. No injuries though. snowHead

Pregnant skiing - please yourselves but as my Mum used to say "It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye" It was something along those lines anyway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
up4it, My little man hated the sledging first time out. He was nearly three (five now so hopefully better this time) and made a right fuss every time a bit of snow went in his face. Luckily, he's been doing a lot of swimming the past couple of years and is much beter as far as water in the face goes, and I'chucked a load of snow over him earlier and he didn't cry, so hopefully things will be better.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
up4it, I do unreservedly apologise for given you a eletronic sex change - it was quite unintentional - it's just that your comments were phrased in such a way as to be genderless and it sounded as though you were a protective new mum speaking. However, I do stand by my comments - neither kids or pregnant women need to be un-necessarily molly-coddled, I also hope that you'll take your little one sledging again when you have the opportunity - don't let the crying put you off enjoying time with him.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As I have qualification to comment, I would say that I would positively encourage my patients to partake in a skiing holiday if they feel happy doing so. After all it is important for pregnant women to stay fit and exercise. As Megamum succintly puts it:

Quote:

Oh, did I mention you are pregnant not ill

My opinion would be it is reasonable to ski until the beginning of the third trimester, so long as mum is prepared to listen to their own body and take it easy.
During the first trimester the uterus is within the pelvis and therefore would be protected in the event of a fall. Unfortunately early miscarriage is very common (1 in 4 to 5 pregnancies) and virtually never is attributable to anything mum has done. Sickness and tiredness would be the main issues at this stage (having just had our first little one, I'm not sure I would have felt up to skiing until at least 11 weeks - I realised 'morning' sickness is a misnomer - more like all day nausea!!)

The second trimester would potentially hold a little more risk if mum were to have a big fall onto her tummy. But if they are prepared to ski within their own limits, I think the risk would be reasonable - I do think it would be a little foolhardy to throw themselves down new terrain.

I would have found skiing in the third trimester difficult, at the very least due to bump.

Important factors would be to ensure your insurance is adequate. DVT risk is high in pregnant women, so make sure you get some flight socks, stay well hydrated and move about on your journey (including if driving rather than flying). The only other thing as recommended by RCOG is that overexertion at altitudes greater than 2500m should be avoided at least until 4-5 days exposure to that altitude as it can affect placental blood flow, so be careful in higher resorts across the pond.

Enjoy your skiing. I can't wait until April to take our little one on her first mountain trip. Very Happy Unfortunately late pregnancy has meant we've had to curtail our skiing this year. At least we've not missed a big dump in the Alps so far!!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
libby, and others with the qualification to comment - I'm glad to see that our professionals here are not in disagreement with my, and others, comments regarding the fact that careful skiing is likely to be OK while PG.

After some thought I am also going to add the following to support the comments I made and to support others who have made the same argument.

Miscarriages can and do happen, surprisingly fequently. If they are going to happen they happen and you don't have to do anything to bring them on. By now you will have guessed....I've been PG 3 times, but only succeeded with 1 & 3. I lost No. 2 at 10 weeks, and in that time had not done anything (surprisingly you might think having read what I posted before) that would have caused it - lets see - no skiing, no rock climbing, no horse riding, no ice skating, no judo, kick boxing etc. etc. - I was just doing a full week in the office sitting at a desk and looking after a toddler at home, shopping, house keeping etc - sounds easy if you've never done it from the womans perspective doesn't it?

In response to the comments that others have made about not doing anything to endanger the unborn foetus, I say, whether you do anything or not, it will still happen if it needs to. I'm not looking for sympathy - in fact I will cringe at the first person here that says they are 'sorry for me' so please don't do it. The loss of No. 2 didn't change in anyway the approach I had to pregnancy when I carried No. 3 - (I don't think I'm irresponsible for saying that - in fact even today when people ask you that question who in history would you most like to meet - I would have liked to have met No. 2, but I also knew that it was beyond my control). I knew that there is really nothing you can do to - when it happens it happens. When you think years ago the things young women used to do to try and dislodge unwanted pregnancies - the gin & hot bath's, the knitting needles, intentionally falling down stairs, and still women would have unwanted babies. A bit of gentle skiing is hardly likely to have any worse effect and is probably nowhere near as bad.

So there you are that's the last bit of why I felt qualified to comment. I don't mind if you continue to use my examples for discussion within this thread - the issue is interesting and of some importance.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mrs Carroz went skiing (with our now 6 year old) at 12 weeks in Banff, no morning sickness etc felt fine however then had a rather large fall (racing a bloke in a ski race (nastar type thing)) and did her ACL. At the hospital it all became at bit difficult as soon as we told them she was pregnant, they didn't want to do an xray and she could not have any anti inflam / pain killers etc. So it was a bit painful, since have found out she could have had certain things but i have completely forgotten what. It also put the stops on an op to fix the ACL, as you can't have the op while pregnant, and looking after a new baby/ toddler is rather difficult when you can't move very much after the op. So it is still broken and she uses a large knee brace for skiing

Point is being pregnant may have other far reaching influences other than the ones you immediately think of.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
That's a very good point carroz, which hadn't been touched on so far. Thanks for mentioning it - certainly gives pause for thought.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
carroz fair, but I think the main point from the 'go skiing' lobby is don't overdo it. Personally I would put racing in that category. Also interesting to note the difference in protocols between uk professionals (libby et al) and overseas - I wonder if the litigious nature of north america dictates to some extent what they are prepared to administer.

Thinks.... there must be pain relief... 'cos after 9 months or so you can have an epidural! (but I might be wrong! - maybe it once the baby is no longer developing.. hmm.. ).. rambles off into distance....
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mrs P missed skiing with our first but skied while 2-3 mths pregnant with the second.
I was a bit uncomfortable with the decision but acknowledged that it was not mine to make and truth be told she is a very technically competent skier and I cannot remember when she last fell over on piste.
My rationale was very simple. If she fell (or indeed didn't fall but something happened) and we lost the baby while in resort how would we feel? I concluded I would always have the what if we hadn't feeling and so didn't really want her to do it. She took the perhaps more (il)logical view I feel fine I am a very good skier, I won't push myself why shouldn't I enjoy the trip.
Daughter No. 2 was born in October 2005.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
On our first pregnancy my wife was goig to ski as baby would be less than 12 weeks and although there must be a finite risk we thought this tobe so small as to be irrelevant (i.e similar to drive down etc). However we lost the baby before we got there. 3 years later and 2 more miscarriages later wife was 12 weeks pregnant again on our ski hols. We still didn't believe it would be a risk (<16 weeks) but didn't dare, as we knew there was a high chance of miscarriage (for natural reasons, afterall ~30% of conceprtions fail) and did not want to blame ourselves (at all). Baby born OK! Baby would be skiing at 6 months but cannot find boots to fit!
snow report
rainman wrote:
asw97uk, my wife skied when about 21 weeks, in La Plagne. We all had an enjoyable holiday, but it's something she has said she won't do again.

She fell a couple of times, and although she felt more shaken by a fall than normal, there was no damage to either of them. /

Thanks for this and to everyone who offered advice.
I also asked my midwife if she'd ever known anyone lose a pregnancy after a fall of any kind (thinking about slipping in the London snow last week!) and she said not. And she must have been a midwife for a good few years.

I certainly wouldn't have planned it this way (and don't intend to again) but after months of looking forward to it I shall go on the holiday and try to enjoy myself - non-alcoholic apres ski and no sauna-ing notwithstanding Sad
I shall be careful, ski slowly, stick to manageable slopes, memorise the location of all the loos, carry water and chocolate at all times (I do this anyway!), stop if I feel tired and hassle my husband to keep an eye on me, particularly by sitting next to me on the lifts - I've seen good skiers taken out when alighting by adjacent novices having a 'moment'!
I've spoken to the travel insurer - covered until 10 wk before due date.

In terms of risk - walking to the tube station after work last week a group of teens walking behind me thought it entertaining to try to trip me up until I asked them to stop in case I lost the baby (whereupon he did apologise!). Those who wish to take no risks at all with the life of their unborn should add 'walking on the pavement at 6pm' to the list Smile
ski holidays
Good Girl!!! Enjoy yourself hun. wink
snow report
asw97uk, good for you for making that decision. I've skiied pregnant three times, twice with my oldest son and once with my youngest, and the only problem was MrQ falling over while looking out for me. I was well and healthy the whole time and it never occurred to me not to ski. It was a quite a long time ago, so maybe the slopes weren't as busy as they are now. Just take extra care when there are a lot of people around, and have fun snowHead
ski holidays
asw97uk Yeeeaayyy snowHead , have fun!
snow report
pielot, Ditto - that's the way to do it asw97uk,
ski holidays
Get him to carry your gear for you!!!! Little Angel
ski holidays
flashk5, I've no problem with that for advice, best suggestion on here!!! wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy