Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Le Praz, Courchevel 1300

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have got an option on a place in a chalet in la Praz for week of 17th January.

Have been to La Tania some years ago, and seem to remember Le Praz is further down the valley.
Has anyone stayed in Le Praz-- apparently one can ski back to chalet, but to start the day there is a walk to the gondola--they say 5 minutes but that could mean longer--depending on the speed you walk in skiboots... Puzzled

I'd much prefer staying in a ski-in ski out as I am lazy in the mornings Embarassed ...but this is a good deal.

Any advice anyone?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Le Praz is a nice little, traditional village. The main routes to ski back down to 1300 are fairly steep, and can suffer from poor snow because of the altitude, but the gondola up to (and back from) 1800 is pretty quick. The walk to the gonodola is not long, but depending on where you sray in the village it can be up hill a little. I'd say 5 minutes is about right, providing you don't dawdle and you're not at the bottom of the village (in which case closer to 15 I'd guess). There's a very good Michelin starred restaurant in the village if you fancy a blow-out meal.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd add the village is small with little nightlife and only a few restaurants so if you after a party you be disappointed. I have skied back to le Praz but the route down was tricky as the snow was limited and seems to get scrapped off esp on the last corner I have also seen it closed more that open but I don't do mid season. Jan 17th? You may be lucky.

Do let all that put you off if you are a family in a decent chalet you’d have a great time…but personally I’d go to 1650 if I had a choice..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks rob@rar, sounds nice. I do like traditional villages. Hope the walk to gondola wouldn't be uphill...first thing in the morning carrying skis too!! rolling eyes
I do like to keep my energy for skiing... Little Angel
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Julieanne, i can never understand when people insist on "ski in ski out" when they will spend the whole day standing up doing something remotely athletic.

Does a 5 minute walk really make such a big deal to you? If so have lazy mornings, book a ski in ski out chalet and enjoy you holiday.

Are you asking if Every chalet in La Praz is ski in but requires a walk to the gondola? There actually might be more than one chalet in the village. If they say Your Chalet is 5 minutes they might actually mean 5 minutes, or it could actually take you 7 minutes of your day.. you could always look on a map and work it out, or, you could seek reassurance on an internet forum with an impossible to answer question. rolling eyes FYI the week of 17th January is forecast for icy pavements and will make your journey to the gondola treacherous indeed.

My advice would be practice walking in ski boots for 5 minutes a day, if this is horrible dont book it. you could also have a look at www.stupidskiingquestions.com for further information...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cfc5mu0, I definitely don't intend to party! Madeye-Smiley So quiet village would suit. Sounds like skiing down to chalet would be tricky-- steepness wouldn't bother me much but bad snow would...I've heard there are lockers at the gondola station-- maybe answer is to keep skis there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skimottaret, yep-- I realize it's a bit of a "stupid Question"--I mean about the walk...but I was mainly asking about LePraz.
The chalet is with a group, and it sounds quite nice overall. Just that I have been to hotels on slopes which are the ultimate luxury (for me)--but of course at double the price. As I am hoping to go again in March, I need to budget this January trip prudently. Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.courchevel.com/plan-station.php?alti=1300 should help wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Julieanne, I stayed in Le Praz with Nielsons a few years back. A nice enough village, with good access into the 3 valleys. The walk wasn't an issue, and you can always get the gondola back down if you don't want to ski.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
New snow cannons down to Le Praz on the route down from the La Tania side were getting installed this Summer (and to cover their beginners lift) so there'll be 2 cannoned routes down now.

http://www.latania.co.uk/photos/2009/1Nov/WhatsNew/WhatsNew.html

Don't forget there's a free ski bus up to 1550/1650/1850 or the other way to La Tania too, the bus stop may be nearer your chalet!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've stayed in the Courchevel area a few times in January over the years:- the runs down to 1300 have always been open.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skinutter, Elizabeth B, kkev, the ice perv, thanks for the info---sounds encouraging! Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy