Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

sella ronda

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm sure it's on here already but can you tell me where the best overall base is? 4 (early 40's)blokes and 4 sons (15-1Cool this year for our January trip. All are fairly experienced and can ski/board most stuff. So we want good base for exploring,decent apres and value for money. Your help please?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Selva, it's the biggest, most convienient and has the best facilities. We're there in Dec and Canazei in Jan.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andyjc, agreed on Selva, although Arabba has more testing terrain but lighter on apres.

In Selva, check the location of accommodation for proximity to lifts, though there is a bus service that runs up & down the main road. It isn't cheap but is good value compared with other resorts with international standing.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok, a quick look tells me that selva/santa cristina,corvara and canazei would maybe suit us. Can anyone give me the pro's and con's of these. What's the best airport for arriving here? transfers, rent vehicles or public? Snow reliability in mid jan,is it usually reasonable?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andyjc, For a DIY trip, Innsbruck is the closest airport, with Selva being the closest of those resorts to Innsbruck. Probably about 1.5 hours drive.

Most TOs fly to Verona, and there are readily available transfers form there for independents, but AFAIK only BA do scheduled flights there.

Canazei is the smallest of those resorts, and is also generally an extra lift away from the skiing compared to the others (i.e. you take a gondola up from the base, then another lift before you can ski anywhere). Santa Christina is the furthest from the actual Sella Ronda circuit, but since you will probably only do that once or twice, that isn't too important.

Snow reliablity is pretty good, but they also have excellent snow making coverage - something like 95% of pistes are covered.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
andyjc, best airports: Innsbruck, Verona, Brescia, Venice, Treviso, in that order, are obvious choices. But also Bergamo, Munich, Klagenfurt, Trieste, Bologna, depending on destination resort, are doable if the price is way cheaper. I always look at flight times too, I'd much rather drive an hour or so longer on the transfer after getting an 11am flight, than get up at 2am for the 6am departure to get to the closest airport, particularly if the cost is a lot cheaper because it's not such an obvious ski airport.

A company called Terravision do transfers to Selva & Corvara from Bergamo, Verona, Venice & Treviso.

There's a transfer service to Canazei from Verona & Venice too: http://www.fassa.com/cms-01.00/articolo.asp?IDcms=25222&l=EN&s=447
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
andyjc, , all 3 resorts have direct access to Sella Ronda and therefore to each other and the whole area. It's more about where your accommodation is in relation to the lifts, if you don't want to faff about with ski-bus or cars & parking. Of course, better located accommodation is usually pricier.

Selva is the biggest, liveliest, has the largest local skiing area with some testing runs, but can be busy as skiers from lower down the valley (S. Cristina, Ortisei) often end up here.

Corvara is next largest, a family resort with it's own quieter but tamer lift-linked ski area shared with La Villa & San Cassiano.

Canazei is quietest has a separate local area (Alba-Ciampac) & Belvedere on the Sella Ronda, and fairly easy access to Arabba.

As alex_heney said, excellent snowmaking & grooming across the area, supplements erratic natural snowfall, pistes are usually complete from Xmas to Easter. I've had anything from slushy pistes amidst grassy meadows on some lower, south-facing slopes to fresh powder every day, so I guess you take pot luck.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks Luigi. Quick look at the airports tells me that Ryanair flights to Treviso are the most available and cheapest during January. Transfer time on Michelin route finder is around 3 hours. Does anyone know if there is public transport to Selva from this airport? Also,what Arabba like? is it worth consideration?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
andyjc, No dont think so but we got taxi to take us there on a return journey! Flew into Bergamo, flew out of Treviso! Same taxi and driver both ways, though 8 persons a taxi mini bus may be your option, could be expensive though as Father will have to pay for their own ankle biters!!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyjc, I can't remember a transfer service from Treviso to Selva, I hired a car last time I did it. You could try a private transfer, between 8 it might not be too much pp.

Arabba is definitely worth considering, more challenging local slopes with longish vertical, easy access to the Marmolada glacier, Sella Ronda & all areas off it. It's not a huge place, never stayed so not sure about the apres, but there must be a few bars for a drink.

DolomitiStars do a transfer service from Treviso to Arabba on Sat & Sun ( Sun flights often cheaper) through the winter, you have to be booked into one of the accommodations on their list, though.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
)Visited the Dolomites in the summer. There was a lovely German (not 2 words I use together often snowHead ) bar, which had a good atmosphere and a lovely amaretto ice cream. That was out of peak season aswell.

I'm hoping to visit the Dolomites for the first time in the winter soon. I would choose Arabba as my base, due to being in the middle of things. Not too far from the Canazei, Selva and Covara. Also Lugazoi (spelling?) and Marmaloda are close by. Unlike Canazei it seemed you could easily ski down to resort.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes Arabba, certainly has most of the tougher skiing, off the main circuit on the side towards the Marmolada - and actually on the Marmolada (but also an extremely tough run plus off piste, off the Passo Pordoi cable car). However, as luigi said, it is small with little nightlife.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has anyone ever picked up any last minute January bargains for Selva?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andyjc, I've done last-minute to Selva twice in March, not always the cheapest deal about though, I'm sure they would come up in Jan as there are quite a few Tour Op chalets, but I think you need to be more flexible about resort if you're looking at last-minute, otherwise you may be disappointed. There are a few chalets in Canazei/Campitello and Arabba too, to broaden your horizons. The beauty of last-minute is that you can go to where the snow is good, though if it's dire in lot's of places, it'll be expensive where it is good.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy