Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Touring Kit

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Was gonna get some touring gear for getting into it seeing as I may have a job at Glenshee this year... woohoo.

Was thinking Mantra/Dukes or possibly Coomba/Dukes.. any thoughts? Are my alpine boots good to use with these for short tours? Down hill performance is the key-happy to take extra weight up there. Or maybe even Barons as they are a bit lighter but do they have more play in them?

A point in the right direction would be sweeet.. done a fair bit of searching around but not a whole lot applies to me.

(posted a thread on this earlier but it didn't appear to turn up)
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
arv, there was a good thread a little while ago asking the same question (I think I might have started it). I'll see if I can find it, but worth you using the Search to see if it turns up.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ta. I'll search under your name
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
arv, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=934762
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rob@rar, thanks a lot, will have a good read! What did you get in the end?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dukes mounted on High Society Freerides.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
arv, the Zoo say that Barons are fine if you don't need the extra DIN. For Scotland specific I thought Mantras would be pretty cool, maybe even worth saving a few bucks and getting some old Explosives. If you can find them the orange Dynastar Pro Riders would also work well.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Unless you are really heavy and/or real aggressive, therefore needing a din above 12, go for the Barons, they are a real good binding.

I like the mantras, never tried the coomba
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
There is also a lighter Mantra (based on the previous mantra shape) called the polar bear.

http://www.telemark-pyrenees.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=1_48_315_396&products_id=4573

3500g / pair in a 170cm which is only a 200g saving on the new Mantra but the Polar bear has less sidecut. If anybody gets a chance to try the Polar bear please post some feedback, ta.

In a recent german ski mag test (which should be taken with a fist of salt) the Mantra beat the Coomba.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
DB,

What, German V USA..? that sort of thinking.

If I see the Coomba for hire this year...as I did last year... I'll give it a spin in good snow. Most of the K2 range are very heavy so it will be interesting to see how this one pans out
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
JT wrote:
DB,

What, German V USA..? that sort of thinking.

If I see the Coomba for hire this year...as I did last year... I'll give it a spin in good snow. Most of the K2 range are very heavy so it will be interesting to see how this one pans out

I always take mag reviews funded by advertising revenue with a fist of salt. They stated that the Mantra was better than the Coomba in powder which I find hard to believe - perhaps someone who has skied them both in these conditions could comment. AFAIK the Coombas and Mantras are a similar weight.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DB,

Interesting.. I like the Mantra but have used the older 94mm model more than the current model. I find the older Mantra a classic and indeed an all over the place ski The newer model seems bulkier allround...bigger, wider, heavier but still turns on a dime in new deep snow. I am hoping my Gladiators do the same thing......
Can't comment how the new Mantra works on harder snow so if the Mantra and Coomba ski Off piste the same, then I would think the Mantra would shade on it.

The thing is if you try and ski these bigger boards old skool, they will hurt you with their cumbersome size...if you just ride them, then you get the big benefit...IMO. Took me a while to suss that tho'

After K2's Outlaws and the like, the Coomba is on a big diet... and if around the weight of a Mantra then that is good, IMV

The above is with rental bindings of course, which aren't light either
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy