Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are you looking for shadowing hours or work in the Alps ?

Poster: A snowHead
If you are working through the BASI system and looking to gain your shadowing hours then here is a good opportunity. You will gain your hours (between 30 and 40 per week) with a real Italian ski school and get paid for it at the same time.

If you already hold at least ISIA and are looking for half term work (unlikely but I thought I’d ask, Euro 1,200 per week), contact us via the website.

We may also require more resort staff (reps) for the half term period (some boarding or skiing experience is preferred)

We will supply
Full training - Uniform - Full Area Lift Pass - Hotel Accommodation - Meals (half board in the hotel and an allowance for lunch) - Insurance - Wages in cash - Flight to and from Italy, transfers, etc..

Basically we are looking for people who know one end of a ski or board from the other to join us in the Italian Dolomites during the mid two week in February next year as resort representatives. You will be working with a BASI instructor during school hours and with the resort team outside school hours.

If you just want to ski around and get drunk every night then please don’t call – our clients have paid us for thier ski holiday and we will try to provide the best possible winter experience possible. Good resort staff will not make people have a great holiday (that takes a combination of things working together) but bad resort staff can ruin someone’s holiday very quickly.

If you think you may be interested then please visit the webpage and check out the details.

http://www.folgarida.co.uk/jobs/index.htm

Minimum age 18.
You must be available for interview during November and then for work in Italy for around 2 weeks during February.
You must have a European passport with the right to work in the EU.
Italian language is not required but will be an advantage.
A Driving License is an advantage

There will be interviews in Wigan (UK) at the end of November (Sat 22nd) and in Verona (Italy) on the same date.

Any questions ? please contact us via the website or me via this forum

See ya.

Oh Yeah – I have spoken to Mr snowHead's Admin Chap and made a donation to snowHead's for this and will donate more for each person we take on. Very Happy It's a win win situation, everyone gains
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is it the full ISIA that you require for peak-season teaching? Do you have the equivalent of the Aosta Valley test in Folgarida? I'd love to take up the teaching opportunity but won't complete ISIA for another couple of seasons at least.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
Is it the full ISIA that you require for peak-season teaching? Do you have the equivalent of the Aosta Valley test in Folgarida? I'd love to take up the teaching opportunity but won't complete ISIA for another couple of seasons at least.

No sorry. The Aosta thingy-ma-jig was just the show "some people" that it was still Italy and the Italians were still in charge.

You "can" work in italy for a few weeks with basi 2 (as long as the local ski schools says its OK) but in this resort they can get full cert slovienians (who all speak fluent Italian) who only live a few hours away from resort. So they look for higher. I was working with Istok last year who teaches thier olmypic team and he was teaching snow plough all week - just as he though it was brilliant he and all the other part timers were full cert (ISTD level), MUCH better than me by the way
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Wayne, OK. Something to think about in a few years time when I've finished ISIA. Thanks for posting about the opportunities.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I don't have ISIA - doing some ISIA BASI stuff in Zermat in a few weeks (OMG have read this book so many times)

I can only work there for a around 4-5 weeks a year as I combine running all the reps with the ski school work, so it works out well and keeps me within the law. A few weeks a year is fine for me. I have been working there for 6 years now and it really is a great place (even though even Mr Admin had never heard of it, shame on him Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I skied in Madonna di Campiglio a long time ago so I think I might have skied in Folgarida for a day or two. Sounds like you have a good setup for yourself as you work through the BASI system. Good luck for the course in Zermatt - Teach or Tech?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Passed the tech in April so it's Teach and Off Piste as they run the week after each other.
Me and my mate are doing it together so we have someone to cry with in the bar on Friday(s)
Are you going out there are going somewhere else ?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wayne, planning on doing Mountain Safety in Courchevel in Jan or March, then the Alpine Coach 1 & 2 in Hintertux in May. If all goes well (and I've got my 200 hours) I'll try Teach and Tech the following season. Will try to fit second discipline in along the way as well, hopefully doing that in the UK.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I will see you in may then IF these 2 go OK in Zermat.

Second discipline OMG. I have never been on a snowboard in my life, telemark look cool though. I talked to some guys doing thier telemark isia in Zermat. The were fall lineing the bumps, really impressive to watch

Is Alpine Coach 1 & 2 done in one go or do you have to go back after doing one ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Wayne wrote:
Is Alpine Coach 1 & 2 done in one go or do you have to go back after doing one ?

You can do them separately or both together in on week.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Think I will try them in one go. Think there is training in Tignes before with someone. Not sure but sure I saw something advertised on basi

Never bee to tux but am told it's it's quite nice. So even if fail will be a good "summer" holiday.

Have you sorted any training out for before the tux course
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Wayne wrote:
Have you sorted any training out for before the tux course

Not specifically, I've done a pre-season week of GS or slalom in Tignes for the last half-dozen seasons, although not sure how useful this will be for the Alpine Coach course.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right I will be wtching you then Madeye-Smiley for the right way to do things.

I am "really" bad at gates. Am sort of OK at bumps, off piste and stuff but Gates scare the hell out of me.

Have just check the company server and big thanks to all the people who have answer the original post about jobs and filled in the application.
Lisa will contact you in the next few days.

rob@rar,
See ya in tux then - got to go now
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Wayne wrote:
Right I will be wtching you then Madeye-Smiley for the right way to do things

That really wouldn't be advisable! I love skiing gates, it's bumps that scare me silly.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Wayne,
Quote:

Passed the tech in April so it's Teach and Off Piste as they run the week after each other.

Off topic slightly, but were you in Val D'Isere with Snoworks in April just before you took your ISIA Tech? I am sure there was a chap there called Wayne also who did his ISIA Tech shortly afterwards his Snoworks course......bit of a coincidence if not.....thought I'd ask if you and he are one and the same? Very Happy
latest report
Wayne,

Welcome to snowHead Good to hear from you again and best of luck with your BASI.
Hopefully will see you sometime this season. Is it your round for the beers Puzzled
snow conditions
Hi Stewart

Say hi to mrs stewart from me - I'll pop round your place again in Tignes for a cup of tea on the next PS course.

VolklAttivaS5,
Yes that was me (unless there is another one of us). I put some stuff on PS's website saying I would not have have passed the teach without the PS course and most importantly Lee's great bumps lessons. http://www.snoworks.co.uk/i-skiing/testimonials_waynenaylor.html
Who are you ?? (you can send a private message if you like).
Wasn't sure if I was meant to make up a name for this forum (could have used something like Mr Fallyover) so just used Wayne
ski holidays
Wayne, thanks for posting that, that sort of thing it is exactly what i am looking for next season should i make it through my last couple courses...
snow report
I have looked at your website and it "seems" that you are looking for holiday reps with the "benefit" of some shadowing.

Sorry to be a little dim (as normal) but what is shadowing and why would you want to do it. Puzzled I have in mind someone making hand shapes in front of strong light and entertaining children by the shadows this makes on the wall. I take it that’s it's not exactly this you are talking about.

What is this difference between what you are offering and what all the other tour operators are offering to prospective resort staff ?
Puzzled

As I mentioned the “piste forum” I am asking on behalf of my daughter, not myself. She is a really good skier. Could she be employed as a ski guide to assist tourist around the area as that would be her ideal job.
snow conditions
Alison Arulia wrote:
Sorry to be a little dim (as normal) but what is shadowing and why would you want to do it. Puzzled

In some systems of instructor qualifications you need to shadow a qualified instructor for a number of hours as part of your initial training. The British system, BASI, requires 70 hours of shadowing.
ski holidays
Alison Arulia wrote:
As I mentioned the “piste forum” I am asking on behalf of my daughter, not myself. She is a really good skier. Could she be employed as a ski guide to assist tourist around the area as that would be her ideal job.

No, sorry. We don't employ ski guides.

Alison Arulia wrote:
What is this difference between what you are offering and what all the other tour operators are offering to prospective resort staff ?

Sorry again, I don't really know, as I don't know what other tour operators offer. We offer the the items and roles shown on our website. You would need to check other companies websites to see whats on offer.
snow conditions
Alison Arulia, very few TOs employ instructors. Jobs available are in mostly in catering/hospitality or repping (sales/service). Some companies employ ski guides, but the role is usually combined with that of rep. If your daughter is looking for peak season work she should try the schools operators - PGL, SkiPlan, SkiBound for example. They employ high season reps for one or two weeks at a time to look after school groups - distribute lift passes, liaise with ski schools, run an evening ents programme, deal with problems etc.
latest report
Wayne wrote:
No, sorry. We don't employ ski guides.

I think you should. We really like skiing with an expert who knows all the best slopes in a resort, so we don’t waste half of our trip on looking for the slopes we could have been shown on the first day. I am sure your clients would enjoy the holiday more. It displays a willingness on the part of the tour operator to supply extras to the client that will enhance their holiday. On many holidays we have been on, the social side is just as important as the skiing. Some tour operators employ holiday representatives whose task is simply to help the clients have a more enjoyable experience. In this way the clients build up a loyalty to the company which can only be a benefit.
ski holidays
Thank you for shareing!!. But I note in another thread that you will not join the ski club of GB as you don't like the idea of skiing with an unqualified ski guide. Is you daughter a mountain guide or ski instructor? Slightly inconsistent don't you think?

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=44250&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

Alison Arulia wrote:

I would always prefer to ski with a mountain guide or a top qualified ski instructor for safety reasons

Alison Arulia wrote:

the simple "ability" to personally ski off piste well does not (in my opinion only), qualify you to lead others safely
ski holidays
Quote:

But I note in another thread that you will not join the ski club of GB as you don't like the idea of skiing with an unqualified ski guide. Is you daughter a mountain guide or ski instructor? Slightly inconsistent don't you think?

Wayne, Great spot! Laughing
snow conditions
Wayne, apparently we've decided that 'Alison Arulia' is an insane member of the SCGB posting under a pseudonym in order to make some obscure point about I know not what. Sounds like a plot line from Dallas. Laughing
snow report
Alison Arulia, OK - I'll rise! rolling eyes Why would you think that any young brit would be an expert on the resort? If you want to find the best snow/runs and so on you should pay a professional a proper fee and have done with it!!! Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Lizzard, I'm sure you're right
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy