Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hireing From Ski Republic

Poster: A snowHead
We'll be hiring skis for 2 under 10s this year in Val Thorens. By far the best deal is Ski Republic.
The only time i've hired skis, the quality has been dissapointing and what i receieved was never the brand, type advertised.
Has anyone hired from Ski Republic before, for adults or children?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Big stand at the ski show today.

Heard some "stories" last season about how they were upsetting the locals.

Just ask them what happens if they fail to deliver? Do you just get your money back, or do they pay your costs for hiring from elsewhere instead??
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
RobW, I heard the same stories about some unpleasantness from the 'locals', it was either here or on Natives.
Megamum, the 2 minimums and myself are after 4 days adult ski hire in Dec and 8 days boot and ski hire in April for the minimums.
I did speak to them on the stand on Saturday, they claim guaranteed model skis and non stinky dry hire boots! but I think you can take what they say with a pinch of salt. It's going to be actions rather than words that are the decider. So thats why I'm after anyone with past experience.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm considering hiring from them for the children this Chistmas - as they seem cheaper than most other companies.

Does anyone know if you pay for the whole package when you order on line or just a deposit and then the rest when you get to resort at pick up time?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi, BMF_Skier, we used Ski Republic last year and had a generally positive result. We were a mixed ability group, and for the beginners and intermediates the whole thing worked perfectly. Everyone got the exact skies that we had ordered for them. No one had any major problems with the boots, all were decent enough. The guys in the shop were helpful and very patient (they had to deal with a bit of a drama-queen when we where there.) The only real problems we found was that the upper end selection was very limited and that the skies were not in great nick (it was March.) I would have no fear with using them again, particularly for the beginner/intermediates or if the ski you want is shown in their selection. This is just our experience though, but generally not too bad at all and certainly much cheaper
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
When our group went to Les Menuires in March this year the guys who hired equipment were v impressed. Good boots, well maintained skis. They popped back half way through the week, to change some poles that lost the strap and offered freshly waxed skis to replace the ones they were using... Seemed very helpful when it came to selecting skis etc. Overall seemed good vfm.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=37864 is the thread about the problems some shops had
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I used them in Val D'Isere this April
Only complaint was that the shop was tiny and it was a bit of a hassle with 4 families picking up skis
Otherwise, ski quality was good, price was excellent. griffterski I think we paid the lot up front on a credit card.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BMF_Skier, we used them three times last year and they were ok. Early season we got brand new skis. Later on we got the make/model of skis ordered. We didn't hire boots. The 2 for 1 deal meant that it wasn't worth lugging skis to the resort if it meant paying carriage on them.
Changed skis mid week after heavy snowfall without fuss. The web site seemed a bit of a faff when ordering IIRC.
Credit card payment up front. (no debit cards)
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The 2 for 1 deal meant that it wasn't worth lugging skis to the resort if it meant paying carriage on them.

How much do they charge then?? I understand that their 2 for 1 offer only applies to a week's rental. So it must be a real bargain if a week's hire works out less than easyjet's return cost of £33 per pair of skis....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict, just checked last rental confirmation. £64 for a weeks rental (for 2 peeps) and no skis to drag through the airports. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I used them last Easter in Tignes for a mixed ability group. Had no problems, everything was there waiting for us when we arrived at about midday on Saturday. the pricing structure was a bit strange in that they were doing 7 days for the price of 6 but 8 days (we skiied Saturday to Saturday inclusive) was the 7 day price + 1 day. Whan I emailed them they agreed to do 8 days for 6 - no doubt persuaded by the size of the group! Some of the party returned after 2 days and they were happy to change uncomfortable boots. Don't know about top end equipment, but would certainly use them again.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski republic had all new equipment last year as it was their first year, they have sold most of those skis now on ebay in France (for surprisingly high prices too) so I think they will be buying new again this year.

It is fair to say that you may find yourself on some other shop's less new equipment if you arrive at peak season with a difficult size request, certainly in Tignes they share kit with all the other local Favre owned shops including Precision, Skiset and a couple of others I assumed were independent. And at the end of the week they all go down to Seez to be farted and so forth for the next week.

I personally swear by them and unreservedly recommend them to all my friends.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Kaiser wrote:
And at the end of the week they all go down to Seez to be farted and so forth for the next week.

I saw a load of skis be unloaded in seez on sunday, couldn't really understand why as I couldn't see any slopes. Is there a 'rental ski tune-up centre' there or something? Wasn't from a ski republic shop either.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So generally positive feedback.
If it means better quality ski hire then I'm all for it!
Good services means recomendations, and more business.
BTW, the 2 for 1 offer, applies to even short term hires.
Thank you.
ski holidays
The shop I saw last year at the start of the season had "brand new" skis in but they all seemed to be the previous season models, anyone else notice that? Granted that wouldn't matter to most people but for people after the top end there were some limitations. Also, although damage insurance is free, I believe theft/loss insurance isn't (and is that more likely needed?) - anyone confirm that? A lot of bad blood between other businesses last season (non Favre, Precision etc) and as RobW says some other "stories" but I've no proof one way or another. However, if they establish the business, continue to offer good service, drive prices down and offer an alternative to the airlines ski charges rip off then good luck to them.
snow conditions
bertie bassett wrote:
Kaiser wrote:
And at the end of the week they all go down to Seez to be farted and so forth for the next week.

Is there a 'rental ski tune-up centre' there or something? Wasn't from a ski republic shop either.

Yes there is, and I am keeping fingers crossed that my skis will be going there for free on a regular basis this year thanks to my new pal on the inside!! Cool Cool
snow report
[quote="kkev"] Also, although damage insurance is free, I believe theft/loss insurance isn't (and is that more likely needed?) - anyone confirm that? [/quote]Correct, theft insurance is not included, though most of us would be covered under travel insurance, I would think.

Just got back from Courchevel 1650 and had a good experience hiring from Ski Republic. They seemed to make an effort with boot fitting, checking that they fitted properly. The skis were well maintained, with great bases. 6 of us got the skis we booked and 2 got "equivalent" skis, which were fine. I hired Rossignol Zenith Z3 skis, which are 45 euros per week at 2for1 prices. Other Courchevel hire shops were charging 80 euros or more for the same skis.
snow conditions
From local experience:

+ Cheapest prices, but only by a couple of euros. Buy-2-get-1-free is fine, but their basic prices are almost twice as expensive as the other local shops so it's mostly a gimick to drag punters in. If you have an odd number in your group, prices would work out more expensive (at face value, never tried to book in such circumstances)
- Very small shop
- Shop closed for long periods during the day, so no chance of getting any help if you have problems with your skis
- limited workshop on site, we've had reports of them not being keen on waxing your skis mid-week as it's a hassle for them
snow conditions
Ski Republic are good but you can find better deals elsewhere if you go online & pre-book.
Just hired skis & boots for the kids with Valthosport in Val Thorens - 40% off their normal rates, pay 20% deposit now, the rest when you've finished.
All good kit - even 4 buckle boots for 6 year olds!
Even with the 2 for 1 offer, I saved 30Euros in total compared with Ski Republic
The best bit was the shop was only 25 metres away compared to a long hike to the top of the town.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy