Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A victim of the Krazy Kangaruh?

Poster: A snowHead
We've had lots of fun talking about drinking and debauchery at the famous Krazy Kangaruh above St Anton.

The world's greatest apres-ski venue (arguably) does, however, involve a risk because of the necessary slide home. Some people get seriously drunk. And being drunk in control of sliding equipment is not necessarily a joke.

Here's a report from Travelmole.com about a disastrous crash the other day involving an Inghams rep. Best wishes to her.

Take care about how much you drink before sliding. I had a nasty crash on a pushbike in Zermatt once, after drinking too much in a nightclub.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 27-02-04 10:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David Goldsmith wrote:
Take care about how much you drink before sliding. I had a nasty crash on a pushbike in Zermatt after once, after drinking too much in a nightclub.
Seconded. you see some really 'uninhibited' skiing after lunch sometimes, skiers taking stupid risks. And sledging even without drinking isn't as innocent as it looks. At the tiny Mont Ventoux resort in Provence a couple of seasons back I saw a kid get on his sledge on a slope near a road, couldn't stop, took off from the roadside bank about ten feet up and soared straight into the side of the pompiers (fire brigade) wagon on its way past. Completely KO, but nothing serious fortunately. At least he chose the right vehicle to crash into....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Sad, hope she's alright.
You pays your money, you drinks your beer, you takes your skis/board and you takes your chances. I've had a couple of jars before coming down there many a time, generally stick to the side of the piste out of the way of others. I don't know how some ski down they can hardly walk sometimes.

David,
Why did you take your pushbike to the nightclub, were there no cars in them days? Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
David I saw that too over on the Natives site - awful. I must admit I've had a couple of silly drunken runs home in the past (in twilight / dark) after a session at the KK or the Moosewelt (sp?). Fortunately not with those consequences. I hope she makes a full recovery.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If it had been an ambulance with its doors open it would have been even better.

The worst case of afternoondrinkingskiing I've seen was Zell am Zee at 4:30ish with the top bar emptying and everyone (hundreds) travelling down from there. After the second day of the madness, I always stopped for a breather at that time and skied down just before the final piste patrols whan the slopes were empty(er). I decided I didn't want to end my holiday on the skis/board of a drunken Britain/Austrian/German.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
He didn't say it was HIS pushbike!
(the murky past of DG ?)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Masque wrote:
He didn't say it was HIS pushbike!
(the murky past of DG ?)

I'm surprised he got enough speed up. It must be a buggar pedalling with skis on Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only DG could admit to going to a nightclub on a pushbike. I suppose if he got lucky, he'd have given her a ride home on his crossbar.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB. I agree with you. I was wondering whether bar owners should employ people to discourage potential victims from getting on board sleds etc. after too much drink.

But then I thought...it's more a buddy thing. Look after your drunken friends if they're likely to seriously hurt themselves. That's if you're sober enough to make the judgement, of course.

I once drank with a UK ski binding distributor in a bar above Saalbach. He drank far too much schnapps, to the extent that he couldn't even step into his (Tyrolia diagonal release) ski bindings on leaving the premises. From memory it took him about 20 attempts, each time closing the binding with the boot locked out.

Eventually he made it, schussed the home run, crashing spectacularly from a drop-off into the main street of the resort. Altogether, an unimpressive product demonstration. But he was OK, thankfully.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
What I'm surprised about is that almost no one seems to mention (in this thread, at least) the risks to others. This despite the many posts elsewhere regarding irresponsible behaviour by some skiers/boarders on the slopes.

It's a bit like 'well, piste rules apply everywhere and everytime but for the slide back from the Mooserwirt and the Crazy Kangaroo (or Hans Schnapps in Zell am See)'.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cedric, Well, actually I would have thought most people took that for granted. But if it needs saying, yes of course, drink-skiing puts others at risk..

Interesting point actually ref. piste rules /drinking. Perhaps we ought to have piste police doing spot breathalizers, and radar speed traps on approaches to resort, cunningly disguised as pine trees Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cedric wrote:
What I'm surprised about is that almost no one seems to mention (in this thread, at least) the risks to others. This despite the many posts elsewhere regarding irresponsible behaviour by some skiers/boarders on the slopes.

It's a bit like 'well, piste rules apply everywhere and everytime but for the slide back from the Mooserwirt and the Crazy Kangaroo (or Hans Schnapps in Zell am See)'.

Well that was sort of my point in my statements about trying to avoid being the victim.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skanky - agreed. What I was commenting on is that just about everyone gets righteously angry at skiers out of control and then just about everyone winks to each other about the skiing down from those bars when drunk, in a sort of 'we shouldn't really do it but ain't it fun?' frame of mind.

dammit I'm growing old and too respectable. as if I didn't ski down a bump run trying to swing to the sounds of 'Bomba! un movimiento sensual...' blaring from the bar where I had just downed a couple.

soon I'll start saying 'in my time...'
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cedric : Still, I reckon I'd be safer in the path of a drunken ski instructor than a sober novice 99 times out of a 100 !
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
PG - unless the instructor takes a sudden dislike to you as he comes down!
snow report
He skis into you just because he realises he "doesn't like your face"! For those of you who know the "five levels of drinking" routine.

PG: What about a drunken novice? Skullie
ski holidays
skanky, Ah, well you're safe there, because they can't even stand up Smile
snow report
Just avoid the lone ski... Very Happy
snow report
David@traxvax wrote:
Only DG could admit to going to a nightclub on a pushbike. .

Well I've come home from many a nightclub with an old bike
latest report
Unfortunately David never had much luck in the nightclubs (I think the bicycle clips and cycling shirts put them off). He did meet one girl who said she was on her menstral cycle so David said "Great we can ride home together". Laughing
snow report
Thank you, DB. My regular stretch limousine was unavailable in Zermatt due to the fact that it isn't electric. A pushbike was the only option in the circumstances.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 27-02-04 16:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
It's perfectly obvious that you were too p****d to ride it! So much for your sense of judgement . . . Finally DG shows he's human (just) after all.
ski holidays
Sorry to switch out of humour mode, but this article from Juneau Empire suggests that $150 penalties will be imposed in Alaska for skiing while intoxicated, or skiing in a closed area.

You have been warmed. Austria seems to take the reverse attitude - come to our mountain bars and drink as much as possible before skiing. Or have I mis-interpreted the situation?
latest report
David Goldsmith wrote:
Austria seems to take the reverse attitude - come to our mountain bars and drink as much as possible before skiing. Or have I mis-interpreted the situation?

Austria tends to turn a blind eye to skiing down from the mountain hut under the influence at the end of the day. Almost everybody has had a drink by then and most know the score. It's more to do with the fact that the Austrians like having a good time, hence the reason Austria is the Apres Ski capital of the skiing world.

Austrians themsleves tend not to get so bladdered (as say the English, Germans or Scandinavians) they can also ski/board very well, even after a skinfull. Most would agree that skiing down after too much booze at lunchtime is stupid as other people are not aware of the additional danger you as a drunken skier/boarder present to them.

PS David, This bike crash of yours - did a stabiliser brake or did the tassles on the handle bar get caught up in the front wheel?
latest report
I've always thought the main danger at KK or Mosserwirt was losing your skis because most people leaving were too pissed to know what their skis looked like. Being a smug Fitzwilliam I always padlocked mine, it worked until the evening I couldn't make the combination work. No problem, my trusty Leatherman made short work of the cable, so much for security. I was told the story by one of the guys in the Jennewein shop of the Septic skier in St Anton who took the wrong skis, then took them back to the hire shop & wondered why the Police were called, he was charged with stealing skis and got billed for the pair he lost.
snow report
David Goldsmith wrote:

You have been warmed.

By the care which Alaskan authorities exercise in protecting us, yes.

Also, I hear being warmed in Alaska could be useful.

Sorry David - couldn't resist!
snow conditions
DB wrote:
PS David, This bike crash of yours - did a stabiliser brake or did the tassles on the handle bar get caught up in the front wheel?

I still maintain that it was the skis. Not only do they affect the pedalling, but the fronts stop the front wheel from turning.
latest report
Thanks, Cedric. My typo of the week - I certainly won't edit it out!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
David, you already know my opinion about the ‘land o’ the free’ having more laws that limit or define the actions of it’s citizens than any other country in the World, inc. N.Korea. And that’s before we get to those faux mores propagated by the liars that pretend to speak to or for god . . . . deep breath and pause and release . . . ommmmm . . . I need some snow-time.
ski holidays
Masque, Calm down you've only got to make it through to Sunday. Although on Saturday there's dinner with the lovely Rebecca.... So Be Careful.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy