Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resort recomendation for transition from Greens to Blues

Poster: A snowHead
My husband has just learnt to snowboard this year and whilst we were out in jackson found the difference between the green and blue runs there a little over facing. The problem being to get to the easier blues you have to do a fairly scary blue then miles of cat tracks over to the other side of the mountain. Being a skier i'm no good at finding routes for a new snowboarder so he preferred to stay in his comfort zone on the greens most of the time.

So next year we're looking for a resort that will help him make that transition better. We'll be taking at least 2 10 day trips, one over new year and another either feb or march. We prefer Canada/North America. We're not looking for miles and miles of piste, the important thing is that there is lots of nice easy blues that arent just links so he can get his confidence up gradually. Any ideas from a boarders perspective?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would recommend the 3 resorts out of Banff, lots of good transitional intermediate stuff there, plus plenty for more advanced skiers and riders, and stuff to do if you fancy a day off... You have to commute to the mountains but not too long and ski bus is included in the tri-area pass (Norquay 15 mins, Sunshine 30mins and Lake Louise 45 mins) Snow conditions are normally really good though can be a WHOLE new kind of cold in Feb.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Richard_Sideways, i'd just looked at Banff in the Where to Ski and Snowboard guide but it warns of tedious traverses and lots of flat bits . . . is this the case from your experience? Cold doesnt bother us, we've done BC in Feb before and spent a lot of time in Newfoundland.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hey snobunni, can't really help with your enquiry as I'm a Europe-bound skier where I think it's only French resorts which have green runs (and consequently the blues can be trickier)...

Just thought I'd say hello. Are you pilates-ing tonight...?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snobunni, that depends WHERE exactly you're going. True, there are a couple of blue runs at sunshine which involve a traverse and it's not uncommon to see miserable looking boarders there - however Sunshine seems very popular with boarders... so six of one, half a dozen of the other I'd expect.

Lake Louise has magnificent terrain however saddleback could be a bind on a board.

Thems the breaks when you can't ski and you have to stick to a board! Wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hiya queen bodecia, looking at piste maps theres plenty of options out there for him but you can never tell from the maps how much of the easy stuff is cat tracks or peppered with flat bits . . . things that wouldnt bother a new skier but for boarders these things are problems.

I'll check if pilates is on, never sure after a bank holiday, and text you later Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alexandra, thanks. He's turned to boarding as he finds it less physically demanding, he used to be in constant pain skiing, so i have to get him more confident in his boarding otherwise he may be less keen to indulge my obsession for snow.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snobunni, no idea about North America, but Alpe D'huez in France (Grenoble airport) has some great wide blues and greens accessed by gondola that run down the resort, imv it is the best possible circumstances to build up confidence and take the step from learner to intermediate boarder because it really allows you to practice linking turns, going a bit faster, riding straighter etc. Also at resort level is a nice red and blue that s used for the floodlit night skiing/boarding Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Soldeu was made for 2nd week boarders.

Plenty of snow there now and uber cheap too. Grandvilara is also very enjoyable for intermediate skiers and the current snow is offering fantastic off piste for the die hards.

I was teaching my nubie mate to board in Grau Roig 2 weeks ago and the blues were perfect for it. He was on their reds, albeit slowly at first, after a few days.

Its the most under rated resort in Europe.

And if all else fails, you can get pints of San Miguel at €2 a go.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
snobunni, Fernie and Jasper both have runs that may be what you're looking for.

The "blues" in Fernie are generally more taxing, so probably not the best choice for progression, if you're a little timid.

The ones in Jasper offer more transition from just a bit harder than a "green" up to just below "black diamond". Some of the "black diamonds" are so tame I'd expect an improver to be at least edging them by the end of two weeks, if not linking a few turns. Jasper could prove a good choice, and there are few really flat areas or cat tracks to boot.

I've been to both, two/three times respectively, and board.

John.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snobunni,
I'm a skier not a boarder but at the beginning of last year my daughter learnt to board up to recreational slope level at the Snozone. We then went on holiday for a week to Whistler in February. She had 2 or 3 more group lessons while we were there and before the end of the week was able to board from the top of the mountain to the bottom (and enjoy it!) I hope this is of some help.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Iski wrote:
snobunni,
I'm a skier not a boarder but at the beginning of last year my daughter learnt to board up to recreational slope level at the Snozone. We then went on holiday for a week to Whistler in February. She had 2 or 3 more group lessons while we were there and before the end of the week was able to board from the top of the mountain to the bottom (and enjoy it!) I hope this is of some help.

I've been to Whistler on a few occasions, and all things considered, there are better choices for someone in snobunnis position. Sorry to disagree.

John.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
BCjohnny, i think Fernie might overface him (but i'd love it lol) but i'll have a look at Jasper, i've heard good things about it before. Thanks

Iski, Whistlers on the list to look at, thanks for the suggestion.

rayscoops, we were in ADH for xmas, that was his first taste of snowboarding. We loved the mountain but prefer the service and overall experience of Canada/US.

bar shaker, hadnt thought of Andorra, like i said we're really looking for Canada/US but i'll check it out
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snobunni wrote:
BCjohnny, i think Fernie might overface him (but i'd love it lol) but i'll have a look at Jasper, i've heard good things about it before.

Jasper drawbacks are the long transfer and the bus up the hill each day. Nightlife not exactly jumping either, typically Canadian (which for me is no bad thing).

Positives include oft deserted slopes, no lift queues, reasonable prices, local hill feel.

John.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BCjohnny, jasper sounds like our kinda place too then Smile
snow report
snobunni wrote:
BCjohnny, jasper sounds like our kinda place too then Smile

There's some pretty good terrain there for you, too, especially if Eagle East has enough cover. Nearly all double black d's.

And they're banging a new Express quad in this summer, from base to Paradise ridge.

John.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy