Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Footwear

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

I am off to Borovets in January can anyone advise as to what is the ideal footwear to use before & after skiing i.e snow boots/shoes etc

Thanks
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Glover1, we tend to wear ordinary walking boots
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oh my god, would you like someone to help with the tying of the laces too? rolling eyes
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Walking boots/ trail shoes should be ok. Obviously some sort of waterproof ones. I have a pair of Merrell boots and a pair of Keen boots for such occasions.

Wouldnt recomend ones with the Vibram sole tho unless they have deep and large lugs. found this out in Whistler on ice. A good sticky ruber type sole is best for ice.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've worn skate shoes every winter, only women wear snow/walking boots.
My ex brought sandals for NYE one time, not a lot of sense in that head.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I wear trainers. At no time in resort has this been inappropriate. If you slide, controlling it just improves your balance.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Come on!! You need help deciding what shoes to wear? Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Glover1, you want warm dry feet in slippery conditions. What would you normally wear in those circumstances? (Hint: not DMs)

stab, my but you do talk sh't sometimes, really. rolling eyes
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard, its my standard answer at the moment. It will change I'm sure.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Everyone, trainers!!! Whats the matter with them? if your feet get cold wear a pair of socks!!! if you fall over in them then a sturdy pair of walking boots would make no difference!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I just wear my normal trainers.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You could have a look at North Face Chilkat Boots. I tried a pair on in Cotswold Outdoors a few weeks ago and they were really comfortable. I would have bought a pair but I invested in a pair of Columbia Ice Dragon boots which I bought from an American website a few weeks ago when the exchange rate was still reasonable.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
3 inch stilettos, I find this is the optimum height to ensure maximum ice penetration preventing slippage in the street whilst enabling enough comfort to spend a night in the bar.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Walking boots are fine if you have them. In case you were thinking of buying Moon boots or such like.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Just for you:

http://www.fieggen.com/shoelace/lacingmethods.htm

You probably knew this already being a boot man.
ski holidays
Does anyone wear walking boots these days? A good pair of trail shoes are compatible with pretty much anything in summer and something a bit more robust that'll take a crampon if you want to play in snow and ice.
snow report
Patent leather thigh high healed boots for me....my wife tends to wear moon boots and frankly looks ridiculous..
snow report
I've got walking boots, trail boots and some Merrell snow boots. I'd say the grip on icy frosty pavements is by far the best with the purpose-designed Merrell things, but then again, I wouldn't want to walk miles in them as they aren't supportive like walking boots. The walking boots are usually good (Meindl ones), as are the trail shoes/boots (Inov8). That said, I'll probably wear the Merrell ones as they are easiest to take on and off at the airport for security checks...
ski holidays
I always take one of my Leki walking sticks which is useful in slippery conditions. It is also useful for beating off dogs and women
latest report
I tend to wear my walking boots, but after seeing the ex go A over T on a plate ice car park a couple of years back and really do himself a mischief I put cat tracks on over them if I can forsee any chance that I will walk on anything but snow. I have also taken a ski pole with me when attempting the same carpark on the odd occasion.
ski holidays
I'll second the walking boots - better grip than those daft furry things.
ski holidays
I'm looking for a pair of Merrell boots with a non-vibram sole as I've been told these are better on ice than vibram. If anyone's got a pair could they let me know where from as all I'm finding is vibram. Thanks Very Happy
ski holidays
I would wear snowchains, but i'm unsure as to whether Easyjet will let me take them on the flight [/sarky]
latest report
flip flops should do it shouldn't they? If your toes get cold, you could just rub goose fat over your feet to protect them from the beer that people will be spilling on them!
latest report
Swirly, kitten heel slingbacks for me, quick release mechanism comes in very useful for late night fumblings...
ski holidays
stillettos are best for power and control in this terrain.
snow report
would stillettos not just sink into the powder... what you need is something with a wider base...

ski holidays
Just use your normal shoes.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Us SCGB members get carried everywhere in sedan chairs by our servants.

cannot see the problem really.
latest report
Wear any shoes but put on a pair of brode. EG Yaktrax
Perfect for snow, lethal on terrazzo. Happy
cheers
bob
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy