Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
Still struggling to decide on place for March trip
Todays thought is Ischgl
I have had a look at the past trip reports but any other feedback you have may help us decide
The apree ski bit I can take or leave if the weather is conducive to being in the openair at the end of the day great if we have to be inside a sauna and a nice meal win hands down
Thinking of the hotel Albona anyone stayed there

So far in the last two weeks we have considered Italy and Switzerland so today its Austria
Austria has usually been the choice in the past

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 2-11-08 18:09; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ranked no 2 resort by the Austrian.

Consistently ranked above St Anton/Lech.

It is in the same league and standard as St Anton /Lech but with a lot less skiers because it is away from the main road.

If you can't get a good meal out of Ischgl you won't get one out of Austria. Best food in the mountain in my experience. The town is full of 4 to 5 star hotels but food no more expensive than those in France or Italy.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi saikee,

What are the number 1 and number 3 resorts in this top ?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
btud,

The answer is Bergfex

For anyone trying any non-French skiing resort Bergfex is possibly the best site for information. It is mainly an Austria site with English language support. The site in recent years has provided a very good cover for Switzerland, Italy and Germany. It just doesn't have the French information.

You should regard Berfex information and opinion are based on skiers who normally can go to the resort by own transport arrangement (not flying with a holiday package), be selective of the skiing condition, prefer relative free from crowd and good overall facilities. Thus if you can't find a highly rated resort in Bergex featuring in your brochure it is because the TOs want to sell resorts more profitable to them or they couldn't get good deals off the Austrian and Swiss resorts, say like Zermatt, Ischgl, St Moritz....
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We went last year in April, had 3 ft new snow during 3 days. Stayed down road in Kappl, you can get half board for around 45 euro pp pn if you search. Go for it, skiing is great!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ischgl is party central! Defintiely worth a visit, some good terrain and its always fun to start riding in one country (Austria) then hop over to another via ski slope (Switzerland) for a lunchtime beer. However, there are far too many lifts at the resort for my liking, it kind of looked like an amusement park of minigondolas and chairs, but the party scene is great and the scenery is pretty lovely as well. If you do wind up there, dont miss the apres at the "kuhestall" (did I spell that right any of you Germans out there), always good people and good times. Honestly though, the lift system really denigrates the mountain area and I'd probably head to somewhere like Chamonix or Val d'Isere in france. Actually, no...no one come to france in march so I can have all the pow to myself! bergfex is a great suggestion up above for austria and check these dudes out if you do go to france www.action-outdoors.co.uk i booked a couple trips through them in the past (and one so far this season) and it was super cheap and met a ton of cool people.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've stayed at the Albona - not as upmarket as some of the other places in Ischgl, but I would deffo recommend it.
Good value for money, and the food is excellent.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks folks
Booked for March Very Happy
I will have to think of other ways to pester snowheads now I have sorted where we are going
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Garfield, great choice.

If you like easily accessible off-piste then head under the E2 chair after a big dump - it's excellent.

Also recommended on a sunny day - lunch at the tiny food hut at Bodenalp. Nothing fancy but great scenery.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Garfield, we narrowed our choices down to Ischgl v Solden... we opted for Solden in March which I see is number 1 in bergfex Very Happy

cant wait !
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Going to Ischgl first week in Feb.This thread has confirmed that I've made a good choice! First time to Austria.Always been France/Switzerland(20+ years)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi Garfield

I live and work in Innsbruck and know Ischgl extremely well and ski it often. It is in the group of the second best ski areas in Austria, I would say along with Serfaus and Mayrhofen (but that is of course very subjective). St Anton wins because it has the extreme terrain but is about the bottom of the pile for beginners. Après ski take it or leave it …. well in Ischgl it is pretty hard to avoid, the place heaves with après ski and it is sometimes hard to escape the mayhem. The lift system is superb and the ski area really outstanding with a great snow record. Ischgl is not for everyone but the ski area has few equals. The resort is pretty upmarket and hugely popular, accommodation in the centre can be hard to come by, as I mentioned I work from Innsbruck and we place guests in Ischgl. If you want an overview that is written by locals then please take a look at http://www.ineedsnow.com/ski-holidays-austria/ischgl/ischgl.html.

I hope this helps.

Matt
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey Libertine

Solden probably beats Ischgl for après ski, although I would marginally favour Ischgl for the skiing but again pretty subjective really. Solden also has superb glacier skiing. Pack the aspirins, Solden is full-on.

Matt
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks again folks
I will start making a list of places to check out Cool
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Solden definitely doesn't beat Ischgl for Apres Ski. I've been to both and while Solden is good, Ischgl's better.
ski holidays
Well Corky, it is definitely a close one, very little in it. I actually prefer Ischgl myself but the general opinion is that Solden reigns. I live in Innsbruck and Solden is considered the king by the locals, maybe because of its size. Another thing that puts off some of the locals are the prices, Solden is not a cheap drinking resort but Ischgl is expensive for Austria. If you are after apres ski then you really can't go wrong in either - they certainly make my local hill, Axamer Lizum seem like a morgue.
ski holidays
But at least your local is in Austria. Mine's in Brum. I still believe Ischgl is better but you are right, the prices certainly aren't. I also found Solden to be pretty ugly for Austria.
ski holidays
I have to agree with Corky.
I've been to both Solden and Ischgl and the Apres is better in Ischgl.
Probably influenced by the terrible main road running through Solden.

I would say that Solden is great and I would like to go back there one year. But for the last 3 years Ischgl has got my vote.
ski holidays
Jagerbull, Have you been to St Anton and how does it compare? Have heard differing opinions on the apres between Ischgl and St Anton
snow conditions
I've never been to St Anton so I can't compare - sorry.
snow report
You know what, Corky and Jagerbull have it, it is about user experiences and Ischgl is indeed incredible. The main road in Solden is what draws the crowds, but it is full-on rather than atmospheric. My only gripe with Ischgl (and that of the Innsbruck locals) is that Solden broadly delivers a traditional après ski party, whereas Ischgl goes for glitz and a bit of exclusivity and charges for it. It is fair to say that both destinations need aspirins in the suitcase as much as fleece. Viel spass im Tirol.
ski holidays
Boabski, don't know whether Jagerbull has been to St. Anton but I have. I normally ski in Ischgl but took a break in Solden one year and really enjoyed it. Took a break another year and went to St. Anton and was really disappointed. The Moosewirt was pretty good but the Krazy Kanguruh was a major let down, small and lacking atmosphere. And lets be honest there are too many Brits there. Felt like I was down my local. If that's what I wanted I would have gone to Val D'Isere (been there too, the Apres Ski is like my local on a Sunday night).
snow conditions
I don't think the Kuhstall can be classed as glitzy - it has it's own kebab shop!

In fact I don't think Ischgl is that exclusive - OK there are some top notch hotels - but most of the bars are pretty down to earth.
I suppose the nighclubs give an air of swankiness - but they aren't too bad.
It must really only boil down to prices, which are still cheaper than most of the big French resorts.
snow report
Corky, We stick to the Mooserwirt as the KK plays the sort of music you can hear onthe radio at home, whereas the Moos plays cheesy oompa scheisse. Granted, when we did visit the KK Sweden had just won the ice hockey in the Olympics and it was Swedish half term - OMG I have never seen so many good looking girls! Have often wanted to try Ischgl as an alternative to St Anton, but am always drawn back to St Anton.
ski holidays
Sayed at the Albona in 2007, we booked it ourselves and travelled independently. Hotel is convenient for the Gondola -It's abot 75m from the end of the "town Run" (about the worst I have ever been on). Hotel is very good value for the money, you get the impression of a professional family operation-with a lot of pride. Rooms are well up to Austrian standards, comfortable ; Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy meals were memorable. Most expensive rooms face the street which is "alive" until the early hours. Mid-range rooms on the side seem quieter. Basement rooms -----Inghams (from memory).
Others have said most of what there is to say about the skiing- my own recollection ---classy, convenient, well equipped,snow sure but-- I'm 68 and you can ski the whole area in 3 days if you try!
snow conditions
And Niki's Stadl has its own burger bar. Ischgl does draw some well off people who are catered for in upmarket hotels but there an awful lot of 3* B&BS to cater for the masses. It is anything but the playground of the rich.
latest report
feeling so much love for Ischgl just booked down the road at See (much cheaper! £300 for 2 B&B for a week). Got a car so only 20 mins drive away.

The See and Kappl websites show the last skipass as being 6th April, anyone know if this is 'just in case' and whether the resorts are likely to be open after this date?

Happy to go to Ischgl everyday if I have to but always nice to ski your local slopes for a day or two
latest report
According to the record I kept since Mar 08 visit

Resort Total length of piste No. of lifts
Ischgl & Samnaun 235km 40 lifts
Kappl 40km 9 lifts. 15km easy/20km medium/5km difficult
Galtur 40km 10 lifts 4/24/12 km
See 33km 8 lifts
Serfaus-Fiss-Ladis 185km 53 lifts

I was staying near Mathon which is 3 miles from Ischgl. Starting from valley the resorts are See, Kappl, Ischgl and Galtur respectively.

From to Distance (miles)
Mathon Galtur 3
Mathon Mathon 0
Mathon Ischgl 3
Mathon Kappl 9
Mathon See 13
Mathon Serfaus 36

Serfaus is in the next valley and well worth a visit if you have a car. See should be the first one to lose snow as it is low and next to the valley floor. Ischgl main skiing area on the other hand is actually 2 valleys behind the main road.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I completely agree about the food in the Albona - excellent.
Especially the night where they have a 'Farmer's Banquet'. A massive selection of as much meat as you can eat.
And the family who runs it are great.

I think one of the reasons I like Austria so much is that most of their hotels, shops and bars are run by families. It creates a really nice feel to the place.
snow report
Jagerbull wrote:

I think one of the reasons I like Austria so much is that most of their hotels, shops and bars are run by families. It creates a really nice feel to the place.

Agree about the family run hotels
I have been in some places in Austria that have been part of a group of hotels and they were fine but there was something lacking
Only family hotel I have been in that was disappointing was the Gruberhof in Igls but it was cheep and about ok for what we payed
latest report
I can confirm Kappl closes early April. But it is a much, much cheaper place to stay than Ischgl and linked by regular ski bus in day. However if you have a car the big plus is that the car park near the main lift station in Ischgl is free.
ski holidays
Peter Wilkinson wrote:

Others have said most of what there is to say about the skiing- my own recollection ---classy, convenient, well equipped,snow sure but-- I'm 68 and you can ski the whole area in 3 days if you try!

wow dude, you must ski like the wind. I spent a week in Ischgl in march, skied all day every day in incredible snow, and think I might have skied maybe 25% of the terrain. There's some great off-piste there which would be a season job to get to know. Loved the place ...
latest report
Monkfish, Don't know when the smaller areas close. One thing to be aware of is that the Ischgl/Samnaun lift pass is only available to people staying in Ischgl and Mathon (UnLess you buy in Switzerland). If you are staying in See to ski in Ischgl you have to buy the full valley pass, there were quite a few arguments going on at the lift station when we went as people were trying to get the local pass and were being refused.
snow conditions
T Bar got a point.

See, Kappl and Galtur all have their own ski passes. Ischgl ski pass has two main types; VIP ski pass valid for 40 lifts in Ischgl and Samnaun and the Silvretta ski Pass valid for 67 lifts for Ischgl, Samnaun, Kappl, See and Galtur. In 2008 the 6-day Ski Magic (from 22.12 to 4.1 and 26.1 to 28.3) and Ski Classic (other times tahn ski Magic) passes for the two types are Euro 187, 170, 219.5 and 189 respectively. The VIP ski pass does mention for residents stating in Ischgl and Mathon whereas Silretta ski pass can be purchase by anybody.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy