Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski areas within reach of Concord, USA (Massachussets)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My company's head office is based in Concord (Massachusetts) in the US and I might go there early in the new year.
I am told there are a few ski areas within reach for day trips.
Can anyone share their experience or recommend anything?
Ta.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kruisler, A few years ago I visited New Hampshire, staying at Lincoln for a few days. Lincoln is about 75 miles north of Manchester NH on the I-93 Interstate Highway, and is a good base for the nearby White Mountain resorts of Loon, Waterville and Cannon Mtn. If you want to stay in the area overnight I can recommend Parker's Motel. I skied at both Loon and Cannon and enjoyed both.

P.S At Cannon at the base area next to the lift the New England Ski Museum is well worth a visit also.

Alternatively, you can visit the Green Mountain ski resorts in Vermont, eg Killington or Stowe.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kruisler, I was over there a couple of years ago for work (head office in Hopkinton), and spent a couple of evenings at Wachusett Mountain... It's not by any means extensive, but, was something fun to do in the evening...
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The best area near Concord is Mount Sunapee, with some great tree runs. It is about 30 miles away.

Loon, about 40 miles away, is also worth a visit.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kruisler, You've got at least 20 options within a drive of 1.5 - 3 hours. In Vermont, Killington and Sugarbush are both very good with extensive slopes (for New England). You can reach any of the New Hampshire ski areas for day trips. As mentioned by Alastair, Loon, Waterville, and Cannon are three of the best options. Cannon is less commercial than the other two and in a nice setting (but can be cold so watch the weather). In Maine, Sunday River is within range too. Sunday River is as big as the Vermont resorts and has varied terrain. I have a house in Bethel next to Sunday River if you want to look me up. We even have some British ski instructors and a pub run by a couple that used to own a pub in the UK if you're feeling homesick.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Forget all that driving. Happy) http://www.skinashoba.com/ It's minutes away. It's a suburban hill. I managed to get an afternoon in after flying in and before the conference at Harvard started. It's a small hill, pudding bowl style - steep at the top and mellow at the foot. Lots of lifts up it radiating out from the top. Crisp snow despite it being late March. They'd normally close but a cold snap kept the season going. There's a hireshop and cafe. It is all very suburban, nice houses next door. I'd buy one!. I've dug out some pics from the trip. Oh and they do night skiing too.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/nickmacjones/SkiNashobaValley#
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Waow...many many thanks everyone for the info.
As mentionned my company's head office is in Concord so that would be my base.
Internet search had brought up Mt Sunapee and nashoba although for the latter I had not realised they were open until 10pm.
So as soon as snow is there, i'll ask my boss if I can come over for a week: fly friday night/pm, board day trips saturday/sunday, work during the week but go to nashoba in the evenings, board saturday, fly back sunday...
snowHead
I hope I can pull it off!

Edit:if I have to plan the trip in advance is january or february the best bet for snow?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't know the location of Concord in relation to Boston or the ski areas. But there are many ski areas that would easily be reached from Concord. They are relatively small. Mt. Sunapee was mentioned, it has excellent snowmaking and grooming with mostly intermediate terrain. Loon is a bit larger and a little further North. It also has good grooming and snowmaking. Both can get crowded on weekends. Cannon Mt. tends to be less busy and has more to entertain advanced/expert skiers. Can be very cold and windy. Wildcat would be a longer drive but offers terrific views of Mt. Washington -- really spectacular views. Burke Mountain in VT is about 3 hours from Boston, really a hidden gem that seldom gets busy. And there are a bunch of VT areas that would easily be within a 3 hour drive. And I've not mentioned many of the smaller areas. I do ski at Wachusett some, though I don't brag about it. They also do a great job with snowmaking and grooming but it's about 1,000 ft of vertical, almost all intermediate terrain, and is usually VERY busy on weekends. You might take a look at the ski New Hampshire and ski Vermont web sites (just google, I'm not sure of the URLs) for more information.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
RISkier,

Many thanks.
As it will be day trips, not sure I want to spend 3 hrs in the car each way. 2hrs is about the limit.
Mt sunapee seems to fit the bill so far...
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kruisler,

We live in Southern Rhode Island. Just looked up concord on the map. You're probably 1:15 or bit more North of us. You'd be fairly close to Wachusett. We often go there for a 1/2 day skiing on Sunday mornings. Get there as early as possible and then we head home when things get very busy. You'd also be fairly close to a place called Crotched Mountain in NH. Crotched does an amazing job with snowmaking! It's only about 800 ft of vertical but usually not nearly as hectic as Wachusett. Another place I'll mention is Berkshire East. It's probably within 1.5 hours from Concord. It's very retro. The lodge is cozy but far from fancy. There are no high speed lifts. And there are almost never crowds or lift lines. Berkshire East has some fairly challenging terrain. Probably not the snowmaking of some other places but when the snow's good it tends to be a favorite of ours for day trips. IMO, Sunapee suffers some of the same issues that Wachusett suffers. It's a bit of a victim of it's success. Both do a great job with snowmaking, grooming, and infrastructure. Sunapee also has very nice views. Both are very well run. And both are pretty proximate to large population bases and can be very busy on weekends and holidays. Don't know the drive times from Concord but some of the Southern Vermont areas would not be a bad drive. And, IMO, the best skiing is in Northern Vermont at Stowe, Sugarbush, Mad River Glen, etc. I'd also say the White Mountains in NH are very pretty. The North Conway area has Wildcat, Attitash, and some smaller areas, all within a few minutes of one another, and there's quite a lot to do off the slopes. Skiing in New England can be fickle. We can go from a dump of snow to rain to very cold weather within the same week. Certainly not the consistently good conditions one would find out West, but there's lots of great skiing to be found. If timing coincides, my wife and I would meet up for a day on the slopes with you. I'd also add that the folks at www.alpinezone.com have lots of local knowledge. It's a NE biased version of Snowheads. Many members probably live near Concord and give much more accurate estimates of drive times. Like me, they have their biases (sort of an anti-Stowe bias and I love Stowe) but lots of good folks. Registration is free.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
RISkier,

Waow...that's great! many thanks for all the info!

Will let defo let you know If I manage to pull off my "business trip" master plan! Laughing snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy