Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What's your ski trip budget? PLUS Package or Independent?

Poster: A snowHead
I don't have a budget as such but usually spend 3-5k for 2-3 weeks independently.

This year I'm going with a TO because I just can't be ar*ed doing it all and I want to be on a bus off the plane rather than sorting it all out myself. I may scan the menu myself when ordering food. wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I look for around £500pp for flights, transfer, accom, lift pass. have usually got this.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
- as little as I can get away with including:-
- avoiding paying for drinks
- avoiding drinking with Charlatanefc
- avoiding eating nr Frosty The Snowman
- using cheapest transport where possible
- avoiding water bills by not washing
- avoiding cleaning bills by permanently attached shreddies
- visiting Verbier to steal skis from outside restaurants
- kipping in other folks cars

what is this thread about ? .... who has the biggest todger ? I lose.

Confused
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agenterre, sounds like a significant proportion of the population of 2Alpes during peak season. Can't vouch for the size of their todgers though (and nor do I intend to do any research in this area). Laughing
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hmmm... this will be my first trip and I've gone entirely independant with a total cost of £2,220 just for me rolling eyes

This comprises two weeks in Saalbach starting just before NYE, staying in a pension, B&B basis. That's factoring in paying a single supplement for the first week when I'll be there solo (£756)
Lunches, dinners, ski hire, 3 days of lessons plus 13-day lift pass (£979)
Return overnight train London to Zell am See (via Paris and Munich), plus transfer to Saalbach and back (£367)
Insurance (£220)

To be honest, I went for the ever so slightly more lux options on the train travel, so could have paid a little less but not enough to mitigate the hassle factor.

Overall, it's a little more than I had envisioned but since this is my first ski trip my expectations have had to be somewhat fluid. Much like my cash which has just flowed right out of my bank account to pay for all of this Shocked
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't have a budget as such just try and get the skiing for as cheap as possible for a decent appartment in a resort I want to visit. Not cheap this halfterm I would guess £3-400 per head for flights transfer and largeish appartment.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Not including food - which we'll stock up on in the supermarket Bourg on the way up.

griffterski, if you self cater and use French supermarkets you can legitimately leave out the cost of food - which needn't be significantly more than you'd spend at home.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
My budget is about a grand for everything including package holiday, single room supplement, lift pass and beer money. It takes me all year to save up this amount so I can only go once per year. If I ever find a way of getting two holidays for that amount I'd gladly do it...
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

Not including food - which we'll stock up on in the supermarket Bourg on the way up.

griffterski, if you self cater and use French supermarkets you can legitimately leave out the cost of food - which needn't be significantly more than you'd spend at home.

I've never thought about it that way before, pamw... You've just made my holidays cheaper for me. Thanks very much!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
queen bodecia wrote:
My budget is about a grand for everything including package holiday, single room supplement, lift pass and beer money. It takes me all year to save up this amount so I can only go once per year. If I ever find a way of getting two holidays for that amount I'd gladly do it...

Go off peak, go independent, don't go to big name resorts, shop around. Same cost, two holidays. Do it.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We dont really set a budget, the OH likes nice accomodation and i spoilt him by introducing him to skiing in Canada staying in a luxury chalet and now he wont downgrade lol. We usually look at spending £800 for a weeks trip each plus passes and food etc, or £1000 + for a fortnight. We work on the basis of get it booked pay the deposit and worry about finding the balance later, its always worked in the past lol that said both trips for this season are now paid for, its just one i want inbetween the 2 planned trips that i need to sort now.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For us, its the main holiday of the year, so ffs - why try and skimp to save the odd quid here and there? I may not like the fact that a 10am flight costs more than a 4am flight, but you know what...?

OK, no Helicopter transfers: I admit that's a bridge too far even for the vast W financial empire, but independent does mean you can choose your comfort level rather than being shoehorned into the TO schedules.

We do tend to go for two weeks at a time rather than 2 x 1 week on the basis of a better £: hour-skiing ratio (indeed why the "boy's weekend" has morphed into a 6 days trip - " why Darling, tis even cheaper this way" wink ) but overall, I just try to buy each bit one at a time, and not add it all up - hoping the oveall costs will disappear on a monthly payment basis.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
paulio wrote:
queen bodecia wrote:

Go off peak, go independent, don't go to big name resorts, shop around. Same cost, two holidays. Do it.

Paulio, I did price up an 'independent' versus TO for this season and it worked out more expensive. Probably because I travel alone and single room supplements, car hire for one, etc. really bumps the price up...

I don't have a summer holiday either. One holiday per year is all my mahoosive mortgage allows...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
queen bodecia,
Quote:
because I travel alone and single room

if someone called Kramer contacts you out of the blue ... ignore him. He is a qualified medic, without a bad reputation, ... yet !

Btw -- why bodecia as opposed to Boudicca or Boadicea ???
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Because I can't spell! LOL!

It's an internet handle I inherited many years ago and although I am ancient, I'm not ancient enough to have know the real deal and how to spell her name. Apparently I look a bit like her. Snigger... Very Happy
snow conditions
queen bodecia, I am old enough .. and she doesnt look like you ! Confused Just remember .. avoid being Kramered ( he lives in Notingerham allegedly) !
snow report
Ta for the warning... Very Happy
snow report
I recon about £1K per week = about £10K for the season. It might be a bit more with the demise of the £ Sad . I usually get a few bargain deals which allows me to indulge in a bit of luxury for a week or two. Very Happy
snow conditions
Some of you folk have FAR too much money!!! What's the secret? Very Happy
snow conditions
I would like to be able to ski for the same price as last winter, but am having difficulty putting it together. We went for 2 weeks, including February half term, it was £680 for an apartment, £420 flights (BA), £120 transfers - just over £1200 total for Mum, Dad, 11 and 13 yr olds in Switzerland, skiing Murren, Wengen and Grindelwald.
latest report
Zero-G, How much insurance? How do you pay £220 insurance for one person for one holiday? I've just got ours out and checked, it's £125.50 for the premier cover (Europe only) and is for all 4 of us all year including unlimited winter sports. There were cheaper options, but these had limits such as 21 days skiing only, and I wouldn't want to commit to that!
latest report
I'm only doing a three day trip this year, but it looks like it'll come in at £50 flight, £100 accommodation, £60 car, £50 hire, £120 pass and a few quid(!) on food and beer.
latest report
Jane L, depends on the the type of cover and the insurer. Mine is annual multi-trip cover for skiing (of all types), climbing and ice-climbing up to 6400m for trips up to 93 days each. I have several trips planned over the coming season, some of which include climbing and ice climbing. Hopefully, the final trip of the season will include ski touring if my skiing skills allow it Very Happy
latest report
FastEddie wrote:

main week away?

Puzzled

Why is one week more important than the others?
snow conditions
Quote:

Usually I set my week's skiing budget at around the £2k mark Shocked

Frankly, I didn't realise that one could ski for so little these days! I should awfully like to find out whether your cost includes the absolutely essential private heli transfer to Courchevel or similar?? Toofy Grin
snow report
queen bodecia wrote,
Quote:
Some of you folk have FAR too much money!!! What's the secret?

Get a job & stop wasting your life on this forum. wink
Alternatively if you have a 125% mortgage with Northern Rock there's no point in making the payments as you have major negative equity. Spend the 25% you pocketed on skiing.
When they (the taxpayer) evict you they (us) will have to find you somewhere to live. In two years they will have forgotten all the lessons & you can do it all again. wink
snow report
Do people stop to work out what they spend on ski trips!!?? Shocked Shocked

There is no way I could do that, I'd stop going.

Book ages in advance, book things bit at a time and shout at the Mrs when she gets another pair of shoes. Works a treat.
snow conditions
Lechbob wrote:
queen bodecia wrote,
Quote:
Some of you folk have FAR too much money!!! What's the secret?

Get a job & stop wasting your life on this forum. wink
Alternatively if you have a 125% mortgage with Northern Rock there's no point in making the payments as you have major negative equity. Spend the 25% you pocketed on skiing.
When they (the taxpayer) evict you they (us) will have to find you somewhere to live. In two years they will have forgotten all the lessons & you can do it all again. wink

I have a job and an 80% mortgage. I even have a relatively well paid job but I have to forgo a lot of shoes in order to able to splurge a grand a year on a ski holiday...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Going independently, 5 of us driving down from Dover in a chalet in St Gervais with an Evasion ski pass comes in at about £330 a head. Can't wait! Very Happy
snow conditions
Three weeks in Jackson Hole will probably cost about 2k this season thats my aim and thats 2 king size beds all to myself, swimming pool and all the other stuff at the hotel I cant wait Smile

Bring on the steep and deep !

12 weeks and I will be there Smile Smile Smile
snow report
Quote:

I have to forgo a lot of shoes in order to able to splurge a grand a year on a ski holiday

Gosh, what a hardship. How many feet do you have, then?
snow conditions
queen bodecia wrote,
Quote:
but I have to forgo a lot of shoes

Sounds like my wife, buys shoes that she will never wear from Harvey Nics and then wonders why she has no money. Puzzled

Quote:
I have a job and an 80% mortgage
With a 20%+ fall in house prices whats the point of being on the treadmill just to have one skiing holiday a year, might as well chuck it in and do a season. wink
Crying or Very sad Sorry, a belated welcome to snowheads, just trying to wind up someone perhaps unlike me snowHead you have a life apart from skiing.
ski holidays
You might call it a life, but I think it's more of an existence...

BTW the mortgage was originally a 65% one, but the fall in house prices has take its toll. Selling now is not plausible, plus I'm a bit old to 'do a season' (I did it at the age of 22!)...

I'm entirely un-windupable too... Very Happy
snow report
Independent – Our first trip as a family we drove to Les Arcs, for Easter week last year, and it came to £1650 for 2 adults and 2 kids (£413 a person). This does not including food, but largely self catering from the supermarket in Bourg. (We went out only one evening last year as the youngest one fell asleep at the bar!)

The kids had lessons, we did not. One of the kids was young enough not to have to pay for a lift pass. I don’t believe that it will cost much more this year.

We were up the Tarentaise valley before the masses to avoid the queues, skiing from Saturday Lunch until the following Saturday Evening, leaving about 18:00 to avoid the crowds on the road again.
snow conditions
Helen LS wrote:
Three weeks in Jackson Hole will probably cost about 2k this season thats my aim and thats 2 king size beds all to myself, swimming pool and all the other stuff at the hotel I cant wait Smile

Bring on the steep and deep !

12 weeks and I will be there Smile Smile Smile

Jackson Hole, King Size Beds, begging for the steep and deep.

Are we still on about skiing??

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
Me and my OH went to Sauze last year for our first skiing trip and it cost a fortune.

800 each for one week half board plus several hundred pounds each on a lift pass.
TO was rubbish as we had ski school with 3 different nationalities in it so every took so much longer.

resort was also very expensive and hotel was really bad for noise and food.

In total, I think we spent 2500 for the one weeks holiday.

This year we are crossing the pond and I have found two different holidays so far for less than 1k each for 14 nights to either Fernie or Lake Louise going either 14th or 18th Feb 09
snow report
Dontlikeheights, you must have done something wrong, no offence. Sauze is the very definition of cheap and cheerful. We went last Jan and spent £200pp (flights, transfer, accomodation).

Full Milky Way lift pass is about £150 isn't it? How did you spend 'hundreds'?

Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:

I'm a bit old to 'do a season' (I did it at the age of 22!)...

Shocked I bet you're not. Have a look at the "free accommodation in Switzerland" thread.
ski holidays
Dontlikeheights,

If you ski at Jackson there is no way you could manage anything other than ski eat ski repeat for 3 weeks Smile !
snow report
[quote="paulio"]Dontlikeheights, you must have done something wrong, no offence. Sauze is the very definition of cheap and cheerful. We went last Jan and spent £200pp (flights, transfer, accomodation).

Full Milky Way lift pass is about £150 isn't it? How did you spend 'hundreds'?

I concur that Sauze is supposed to be one of the cheaper resorts but it was not.
I think that the lift pass 225 each from memory but we paid the TO directly for it.
When we got to the resort and checked the lift pass station at the bottom of the lift we realised we had been done but too late then.
Tried to speak to the TO rep but he was never around, actually the only time we did see him was on the piste skiing.

As it was our first time we accepted it as a lesson learnt but never to be repeated.

This is why before I book my holiday in feb I am getting as much advise as possible especially where prices for passes etc are concerned.

So I am going to Canada, probably LL based on the info I have recieved on here so if you have any advice on costs it would be appreciated?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy