Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites/Sella Ronda-Snow Report 2008/09

Poster: A snowHead
pokemon, holidayloverxx, you're not going to be lacking snow, but it would be nice if the sun came out so you can enjoy the views sipping a hot chocolate/beer on a sunny terrace. Cool

Nice photos of the Val Mezdi off-piste itinerary route taken last Friday (30th Jan), posted on a german ski forum:

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=30075

Access to this route is from the Sasso Pordoi cablecar above Canazei, then a hike across the Sella massif and then drop down the Val Mezdi, ends up near Colfosco. Guide recommended.

This route is frequently unskiable due to lack of snow, no probs this year though! snowHead
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
luigi, lovely pics - well beyond me though Laughing
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pokemon, Have a great time & say Hi to Sue for me. Had a fantastic time myself & shall definitely be returning sometime
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
holidayloverxx, agree. I can imagine the horrified looks from my wife if we got to the top of the cable car and I then showed her where we were heading. I know it would frighten me. I think I'll stick to nice scenic runs for the time being.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nickH, will do and thanks. Very excited about going back as there was a lot we didn't see, plus the snow looks brilliant this year.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I'm coming out on Saturday, snow-forecast.com is suggesting a big dump on Fri night / sat morn. Cannot wait!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here is a great site for Alta Badia and Sella Ronda weather. Weather-forecast.com say rain at 1350m in Pedraces for this weekends big fall wheras 3bmeteo.com is saying 1000m for the snowline snowHead snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman, Excellent Very Happy 3 sleeps......
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Also try this site for Webcams
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
These forecasts/reports are some of the most accurate as they are based locally in Arabba, they say 40-60cm fell Mon/Tues.

More snowfall starting tonight and continuing on & off into Sunday, with 40-80cm forecast for Saturday alone! Shocked

Looks like it will fall as snow down to 1100/1400m initially, then the heaviest falls right down to 800/900m so all resorts should see fresh snow, if a little sleety at times! snowHead

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/bollettini/htm/dolomiti_meteo_en.asp

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/bollettini/htm/dolomiti_neve_e_valanghe_en.asp

Just hoping that snow in UK doesn't disrupt your flights tomorrow and that transfers in Italy are OK.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'd advise anyone doing a fly / drive in E. Italy this weekend to ensure that they have the necessary tyres / chains for resort transfer. Don't expect to be able to get them just when you arrive as they have a limited supply
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For an overview of recent snowfalls and snow depths across the region, check this out:

http://www.dolomitisuperski.com/en-US/1971EN.html

Seems that southern Dolomites got the lion's share of recent snow, Trevalli & Arabba got the 40/60cm, but only 10cm for Val Gardena & Alta Badia areas.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Huge amounts of snow around the Sela Ronda, as Barkymark discovered during one of his forays into the trees of Arraba.
We had constant heavy snow all day today (Friday) and everything was brilliant snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
admin, great pic, glad you're having a good time in that fresh snow, have you been out there all the time since 17th Jan or was that just a reccy week?

Snowfall recorded in the Venetian Dolomites for last 36 hrs was 40-75cm Shocked :

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/bollettini/htm/dolomiti_neve_e_valanghe_en.asp

Forecast for snow easing through Sun & sunnier on Mon, then snowy again on Tues, getting colder twd Wed.

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/bollettini/htm/dolomiti_meteo_en.asp
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
luigi, Thanks for the links to the English forecasts. I have spent many an hour trying to make sense of those forecasts in Italian in the hotels I didn't know they had English versions. Is this a recent thing? I have been having a look at the "wigglies" and whilst it is still a ways off, half term week is looking good with any snow clearing up and temperatures dropping. Fantastic!! snowHead
ski holidays
No powder left, admin, Barkymark, Whitenoise and I had it all...

Sorry Toofy Grin wink
snow report
stoatsbrother, Barky? Can't wait for the story Toofy Grin
snow report
Seldom Seen Kid wrote:
luigi, Thanks for the links to the English forecasts. I have spent many an hour trying to make sense of those forecasts in Italian in the hotels I didn't know they had English versions. Is this a recent thing? I have been having a look at the "wigglies" and whilst it is still a ways off, half term week is looking good with any snow clearing up and temperatures dropping. Fantastic!! snowHead

They've been translating them all this season at least.

I'm sure it'll be great for half-term week, it's getting colder this week til at least the weekend, hopefully you'll get a week of sunshine, with some powder top-ups overnight! There's enough snow there to last the rest of the season and some! snowHead
snow report
A lot of high-altitude road closures due to snow/avalanche risk across the Dolomites:

Gardena, Sella, Campolongo, Pordoi, Falzarego passes & others closed.

Arabba must be cut off as the Livinallongo valley access is also closed at the moment:

http://www.provincia.bz.it/vmz/report/index_i.asp?Type=2

Hope everyone got to resort yesterday! Shocked
ski holidays
stoatsbrother's right: we poached it all from under the Carabeneri's noses. The only area with "bad" snow was Val Gardena around Ortesei: thin cover and wind blown. Arabba had masses of it and there were plenty of sweet lines on the Alba side of Campitello.

Frosty the Snowman, bring on the mega-knarl Toofy Grin
snow report
A nice report dating from the week just gone (31.1-7.2) with loads of beautiful pictures showing all that snow (and some sunny ones too), found on the German Alpinforum:

http://www.alpinforum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=30168

(Pics enlarge if you click them)
ski holidays
Hi Guys,

I'm off to Corvara on 22nd Feb. and the tour operator I'm going with offers an off piste day, for which they say no off piste experience is necessary. They state that the trip usually goes down the Val Mesdi, conditions permitting. From all the pics and video clips I've seen, it looks quite a serious run. Do you think it is good intro to off piste skiing or should I look for something a bit easier ?
latest report
Something easier
snow conditions
richardball wrote:
Hi Guys,

I'm off to Corvara on 22nd Feb. and the tour operator I'm going with offers an off piste day, for which they say no off piste experience is necessary. They state that the trip usually goes down the Val Mesdi, conditions permitting. From all the pics and video clips I've seen, it looks quite a serious run. Do you think it is good intro to off piste skiing or should I look for something a bit easier ?

It'll be crud and bumps, no way would the say 'no experience required' if they intended to hit deep powder with the odd cliff drop thrown in. Smile
latest report
Well it looks like its gonna be chuffin cold. Of to bed then of to Italy in the morning....byeeeee
snow report
Frosty the Snowman, Have a great time snowHead Watch out for the pixie and the mogels Laughing
snow report
Just got back yesterday. Fantastic conditions everywhere. One metre fell on the day we arrived in Arabba, which closed all the mountain passes. People on roofs shovelling snow due to the weight. Most snow since 1951 and apparently 7.5 metres has fallen since start of the season. -30 wind chill at the top of the Marmolada on Friday. Brrrr.... Will post some photos later. Ciao.
ski holidays
pokemon,

Cheers, that's nearly 25 ft!!! Comparable to USA figures!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pokemon, glad you had such great conditions !

I just want to go back !!!
latest report
nickH, almost too much really but won't complain Laughing

Sueski said hello. We went skiing with her on a couple of days. She has a lot of guests this week.

Already thinking of going back late March
snow report
pokemon,
Quote:
nickH, almost too much really but won't complain

Yes, know what you mean if you're essentially a groomed-piste basher like myself. I'm really beginning to enjoy playing in the soft stuff though.

Against all financial imperatives I'm of to La Ros next week on a last minute cheapy, but if you find a good deal for late march then please let me know. I'm seriously thinking of contacting Sueski myself to see if she can come up with something.

There's also a ski shop in corvara that sells Stockli skis & I'm keen ........................
snow report
pokemon wrote:
. -30 wind chill at the top of the Marmolada on Friday. Brrrr.... Will post some photos later. Ciao.

No wonder I was so cold up there! I got to the top to find my binding had worked itself loose. Had to dig out the tool in the biting wind before I could get down. According to the dolomiti website, I managed 60km on my extended Sella Ronda.

Conditions were amazing, even on Friday after a few days without snowfall. Still plenty of soft snow to be found on the pistes. There was a light sprinkling on Friday, particularly in Selva / Alta Badia.
snow conditions
Pedraces looks beautiful on the webcam this morning. Looks like Frosty is getting some really nice weather snowHead
latest report
ickabodblue, Oh he has indeed
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy The snow still in abundance and in fantastic nick. Wast9ing 30mins in the wonderful Melodia del Bosco hotel surfin snowheads. Awesome snow on piste, occaissionally crispy löwere down as there has been some fohn winds in the valleys. not seena stone or bare patch all week. Quite fabulous.
latest report
Just back from Arabba last night. I've never seen so much snow!!. Riverman is still there and, judging by the webcams, he'll be having a ball as the snow has finally stopped falling and blue skies have arrived. I'm not jeaslous, no I'm not, it's lovely to be home Going green Going green Going green
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy