Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dolomites/Sella Ronda-Snow Report 2008/09

Poster: A snowHead
I never got over that far, here's the lifts, it was snowing all day so wanted to get the most out of it and it was my only trip around the Sella Ronda. The cloud was low so no scenery to distract me! I got the bus from Ortisei to Saslong lift and away I went, had packed lunch and water. My other days were more relaxed!

1. Cab.Saslong

2. Segg.Sochers-Ciampinoi

3. Segg.Costabella

4. Cab.Danterceppies

5. BOREST Rit.

6. BOÈ

7. Segg.CAMPOLONGO

8. Segg.CAMPOLONGO

9. Segg.CAMPOLONGO

10. Segg.BURZ

11. Fun.PORTAVESCOVO

12. Dmc EUROPA 1

13. Dmc EUROPA 1

14. Segg.PORTADOS

15. Fun.PORTAVESCOVO

16. Fun.PORTAVESCOVO

17. Segg.FODOM

18. Segg.LEZUO

19. PRADEL-RODELLA

20. NOREI - CINQUE DITA

21. Segg.Sole Piz Seteur

22. Segg.Comici 1

23. Segg.Comici 1

24. Fun.Piz Sella

25. Fun.Piz Sella

26. Fun.Piz Sella

27. Segg.Piza Pranseies

28. Segg.Sochers-Ciampinoi

29. Segg.Sochers-Ciampinoi
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snow report: Canazai, Italy. It's been snowing all evening and there's about 3cm fresh on the ground here in the village. If it carries on like this all night, it's going to be so good in the morning that I probably shouldn't be up this late snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
admin, sweet. Gonna get some bigger skis...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yep, just getting back to the hotel here and selva and it still snowing here. More than 3cm here so far.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is dumping in Arabba as well, the only problem is we can't get across to Canazei or around the Sella Ronda but tomorrow is looking good.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Sueski, don't use it all before we arrive !!

Marcia and Andrew
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
pokemon, Just signed up NickH has shown me how it works. Looking forward to seeing you soon. Sue
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been snowing all day here in Selva as well. Locals here were reckoning it will be more snow tomorrow and wouldn't be good conditions for skiing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
MhicEasmuint, Are you staying at the Flora? Say hello to the 'Senora', Petra and Christof for me ..... Sue from Arabba PS.Think tomorrow will be better conditions than today, hope so as I'm on my way to Selva.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Sue,
Yep in flora. Great hotel with great food!
Yeah checked snow report. Only giving light snow in the morning so hopefully be grand.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Big Snow in Canazai, Italy
snow report: Canazai, Italy. It's been snowing constantly now for well over 24 hours. It eased up a little at about midnight but it's chucking it down again now. We were skiing deep snow (up to 60cm) on and off the piste almost everywhere we went today.

I was supposed to go on a little excursion to the Hidden valley to scope out the trip for the birthday bashers but looking at all the snow this morning I really just wanted to hit the slopes. Fortunately, the bus couldn't cross the pass and I was free!!! In the morning we just stuck around Canazai as it was all so brilliant there seemed little point moving on.
In the afternoon though we went up to Alba and did the same run 4 times in a row simpy because the snow was deep, the incline was perfect and there was literally no-one on it but the 3 of us.
A little later we found ourselves stuck, on piste Shocked It was a red run with a fairly typical red run schuss however the snow was so deep, we didn't even reach the low point of the schuss let alone get up the other side of it. It took a good 20 mins to yomp through 50cm+ deep snow to get to a point where the slope was steep enough to get sliding again snowHead
The Black back down to Alba was lush! It had been skied quite a bit and was covered in soft grippy moguls, pretty well all the way down.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
lots of snow in selva too
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
admin, sounds great Toofy Grin
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jonm wrote:
admin, sounds great Toofy Grin

Not a patch on what it will be like the week after next. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geepee, is it too early to start packing yet? Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
jonm wrote:

Nope. I've started already.

Madeye-Smiley snowHead
ski holidays
My wife's getting the stuff out tonight and we're not going untill 14 Feb !
ski holidays
admin, that sounds fab, could there be too much snow! It's funny because the Dolomites are known for lack of snow but this year is amazing so far. There are some nice steep runs in the trees down from Porto Vescova in Arabba, have you been there yet?

I know the Hidden Valley has a long pole/skate out, wouldn't be much fun in deep powder!
snow report
Peter Ross,

Lack of snow ?? I've been to the Dolomites 4 out of the last 6 years and there's always been buckets of snow. Anyway, for your information one now gets towed out of the bottom of the hidden valley by a horse. Not too fast but faster than skating.
snow conditions
dsoutar, I was there myself last New Year and we had a major all day dump also but the locals say they get less snow than other Alpine regions and that's why they have invested so much in quality snow making. Now the snow you refer to, did it come from a bucket or the sky? Also I didn't see may fat skis in the hire shops or on the slopes, I wonder why?

But this year is a 20 year snowfall high so maybe things are changing.

I am aware of the horse option but I go skiing to ski fast not for slow horsey rides. snowHead
latest report
The barometer I use is that I've never been able to ski the Val Mesdi due to too much recent snow. Not too many cannons in there !
ski holidays
I do not understand your barometer, but I reckon those crafty Italians have mobile cannons or maybe even heli cannons, you never know snowHead
ski holidays
Fingers crossed for this year. I must be one of the few people not wishing for loads of snow !
latest report
jonm wrote:

You haven't finished yet? Shocked Laughing
ski holidays
dsoutar, is this is?

latest report
Yup, Is that you ? Toofy Grin
snow conditions
dsoutar wrote:
My wife's getting the stuff out tonight and we're not going untill 14 Feb !

What's keeping you? We are there the same week and the rule is when the Christmas stuff goes up the loft the ski stuff comes down. Not long now Very Happy
snow report
dsoutar wrote:
Peter Ross,

Lack of snow ?? I've been to the Dolomites 4 out of the last 6 years and there's always been buckets of snow. Anyway, for your information one now gets towed out of the bottom of the hidden valley by a horse. Not too fast but faster than skating.

I have been to the Dolomites probably 10 times since the early 90's when I discovered Arabba through Ski Beach Villas ( anybody remember them before they were swallowed by Neilson? ). I can honestly say that I have never been there when there has been anything more than a light snow flurry - but there has always been very good piste conditions and plenty of sunshine.

Not going this year - we are slumming it in Fernie for 10 days snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
finally it stopped snowing for long enough to start seeing some of these legendary views

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Fri 23-01-09 1:30; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
and to the right of that...
latest report
snow report: Canazai, Italy. It's stopped snowing for now and (unsurprisingly) there's loads of new snow everywhere. It's warmed up a bit but not too much so the snow off piste is still quite powdery and bouncy though heavier than it was a couple of days ago. The pistes are just in amazing condition though. Yesterday 90% of runs were mogulled whereas today, they'd been bashed and were, shall we say, somewhat flattering to one's technique Wink
Lots of avalanches around though - the helicopter was out at least 4 times yesterday round this side of the Sela.
snow conditions
Arabba Avalanche Centre reports 60-80cm at 2000m for this week's snow event and level 4 risk: Shocked

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/bollettini/htm/dolomiti_neve_e_valanghe_en.asp

admin, you really could do with some clear weather now to make the most of the conditions, marvel at the views, explore the further reaches of the area and enjoy an outside lunch.

Looks like Sunday will be the clearest day:

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/bollettini/htm/dolomiti_meteo_en.asp

Maybe it's saving the wall-to-wall sunshine for when the Birthday Bashers arrive! snowHead
ski holidays
Well today started off looking fine: cold temps and wall-to-wall blue skies tempted us to head for the Marmolada. But by the time we got there the clouds had rolled in and skiing down off the top seemed to take an age - the refuge at the bottom was most welcome! This evening has seen more snow (a few inches at most) - but currently stopped. What we really need is a big dump to close the roads in the morning to stop the locals invading! But unfortunately I can't see this happening.

And where do SCGB get there snow reports from? The one for Canazei bears very little resemblance to what we've seen this week.
ski holidays
dsoutar wrote:
Yup, Is that you ? Toofy Grin

No, just a photo I found, maybe some time soon!
snow report
Just back from Canazei and some great conditions everywhere as reported by admin. Lots of snow all week and it was snowing again on Friday evening with more reported to be coming. Pisted were all groomed by Friday making firm conditions on piste with the cold weather. Once the sun comes back out there will be some superb conditions in the whole area. Only down side to the week was lack of sun and a lot of flat light but that is minor compared to the amount of fresh snow we got Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
Looks like another snowy week for the Dolomites, 45-100cm forecast for today & tomorrow, with unsettled weather continuing the rest of the week too:

http://www.arpa.veneto.it/bollettini/htm/dolomiti_meteo_en.asp
ski holidays
luigi, Very Happy 6 sleeps - [excited - me?]
latest report
holidayloverxx, same here.

luigi, after wishing for lots of snow since Christmas I'm now hoping it stops by the end of the week Laughing
snow conditions
pokemon, where are you going/staying?
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, we are in Arabba at the Chalet Barbara (belongs to the SportHotel)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy