Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2008 / 2009

Poster: A snowHead
bertie bassett wrote:
... being a bit larger then average I managed to keep going all the way to the pub...
I bet you're glad you spent all season working on that skill Toofy Grin
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bertie bassett, Cheers for that report - looks like I 'got out' at the right time - makes me feel better (not) , but the pub's just round the corner Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
FenlandSkier wrote:
bertie bassett wrote:
... being a bit larger then average I managed to keep going all the way to the pub...
I bet you're glad you spent all season working on that skill Toofy Grin

Some advacned techniques require a full season to master

Yoda
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowing very hard in 1950 and the 2000 bowl today, early flurries started at about 8, but has been tonking down down for the past 2 hours: the roofs and trees are now holding it, and the pistes have been great this morning. Temp drop of about 12 degree C or more over yesterday's sunbathing.

Varet and AR closed.

1800 was raining though, and the porridge to the transarc was awful.
Radio 'R Les Arcs ' said snow line was down to 1500 - they were a bit wrong. (I know 1800 is only at 1705, but they were still a bit optimistic!) The Derby runs in the trees were excellent though, and anyone coming out for the last week of the season will be glad of the top up. Hopefully it will cover the rocks and bare patches sufficiently and not just give a false sense of security....

But as I look out of the window it really is very heavy, who knows, may (may!) even need the powder traces!

Actually, if it wasn't for the fact that this afternoon and tomorrow are the last skiing for a year, I would be curled up in front of a fire with a book. But since it is the last chance: allons y!

J
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Funny old day today - snow was forecast but would it come??

Headed out with a mate around 10:30 - looked a bit cloudy up the hill and was just starting to rain at 1650 (plan-peisey). We had a bet whether it would turn to snow 1/2 way up the lift but it didn't quite. However 1/2 way up the derby it was definitely snowing, but mixed a little with hail. Snow on the ground was just odd - actually you really felt there wasn't much snow there on the blue down from the derby and in places it was like superglue. - you could go from sliding nicely to just jamming up and stopping.. Not a day for playing on kickers as landing on some 'glue' would have been a knee breaker.

Come around 12:30 the vis dropped a lot and so did a couple more runs and headed home finding way from pole to pole - now having a nice cappucino in la vache and then some lunch! Looking out the window it's snowing quite hard down to 1650 level and sticking on everything apart from the roads..if it carries on like this it could be a great last week!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Can't remember fridays conditions but today was lovely..bit colder / few more clouds so the pistes held up firmer for later. Virtually no-one on the piste so you could hit the rollers on the blues and jump on/off piste with impunity!!!

A few small snowflakes fell in the afternoon but nothing significant - now raining at 1650 which bodes well

Quite a few lifts turned off perhaps just because saturday - although bits and pieces are starting to come off the mountain - e.g some of the netting funneling at the bottom of the runs, the netting at the side of the 'stade' course in peisey and more...

could be a nice last week if I can survive all the parties....
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowcrazy wrote:
What a lot of speculation. Now that I have just waved goodbye to the family. I will visit the development office and then post what they have to say, till then, keep on guessing everyone. I wonder which person will get it right for the new lifts. As for my two peneth before I go and ask. I think they will take out both Col Frette and Arpette plus Clair blanc. They will then put in one high speed lift not sure where but with the option of getting off near the snowpark or carrying on to the top and linking with Arc 2000/1950. If you know Tignes there is one lift like that in Val Claret.

Col De Frettes is definitely going.. this sign was on the lift today..

genepi wrote:
bertie bassett, I agree with you about the Arpette run, but if, as I've heard, they also split the old Clair Blanc lift so that a fast lift goes from where it currently starts to just above the level of the top of Vagere lift, then the old lift continues to the top, I think the overall outcome will help that bit at the top of Arpette

Actually that makes a lot of sense - provided you can get above the vagere then yes, that stops the need to go right to the top to run home in a peisey-vallandry direction.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No snow report for yesterday as all partied out...didn't get out.

today was a mixed bag day..quite sunny 1st thing, then come 11am it was jackets and googles required as snowed lightly in 2000 bowl. Come 1pm the sun had come back out and was a warm/ sunny arvo..

Snow about the same as before - slushy on the lower slopes & later in the day, still great on the pistes above the arpette or higher...
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We frequently go from top og Vagres to Vallandry - why do you need to go higher?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Boris, I wondered that.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris wrote:
We frequently go from top og Vagres to Vallandry - why do you need to go higher?

To get back to plan-peisey easily if you're on a board, otherwise it's a horrible long (and currently sticky!) cat-track adventure...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Right well back to the snow.

Super warm therefore super slushy..especially low down more and more bits being closed - grizzly now closed for the season. Flatling pistes on the board is great fun - like blasting in the car thru big puddles of spray.

The run back to the mont blanc via myrtilles and liason grizzly is shocking. At the vallandry lift they had a patch of snow about 50cm wide for you to access the lift, and thereafter it was rubber matting.

Still they only need to keep it together for another 4 days and uptop it's fine...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
V. warm today - t-shirt & open jacket were the order of the day.

Sunny is killing the slopes down to 1800...tried to get dwon there about 14:00 and it was 'dodge the brown patches'

Top of arandelieries had a few stones in it as well...not nice...but apart from that the pistes still not in bad shape, especially in 2000 bowl..
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
No more reports from me. Gone Home.

'a virtual genepi' to all those who I skied / rode with this season. Cheers and maybe see you next season!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
bertie bassett, it was a pleasure to ski with you a couple of times, and thanks very much for your season-long reports Smile
snow report
Well, The season's done....

bertie bassett, Yup, cheers, I still owe you a beer Very Happy

snowcrazy, Hope you are well on the mend.

Big thanks to everyone I skied with this year, especially the last three week 'stint' - you know who I mean Very Happy

Will put in a 'snow report' in the summer - hopefully going over in July.

Allan
snow conditions
Sad Yes it is the end of the season and guess what Laughing ? It is snowing, well at least it was at the top of AR earlier today Puzzled .

It is the last day of the season tomorrow, but I am not planning on going out this weekend. It looks like there might be some light snow tonight high up so for those heading up tomorrow morning there should be a fresh covering of snow at the top of AR and maybe on the slopes down to Arc 2000. The runs down to Arc 2000 are still good early on and even down to the other stations is still passable I have been told, but with many bare patches.

For me now, I have given my gear back and packed up. Resting at home now so that the swelling on my knee can go down a bit before I see the doc on Monday. Then in for an Op and back to the real world. No, staying in the Alps for the winter is usally just a nice way to pass the time, but doing some work is something that must come to us all I guess.

For those that are into touring. The conditions are great and some of the huts are still open in the park so there is plenty of back country stuff to do, but be careful.

Hope to start this thread up again next season, till then. Enjoy the snowdomes, South America or where ever you might find yourselves. Twisted Evil

As allanm, also said, a big thanks to all those I have met for a beer and/or skied/boarded with this season. It's been quite a strange one for me with some things both very good Very Happy , bad Sad and very sad Crying or Very sad happening. Now it's time to move forward so this is Snowcrazy signing off for now. Cheers all. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
snowcrazy, & bertie bassett, Thanks for the reports - sorry to have missed both of you in the 4 weeks we spent there this season - next year, hopefully Very Happy
snow report
snowcrazy, all the best to you for the Summer job keep safe and see you next season.
snow conditions
snowcrazy, bertie bassett, and the rest of the regulars on this thread, thanks for all the info / reports over the last 5 (?) months. Like a soap opera, but in a good way.
Look forward to next year.
ski holidays
genepi, Boredsurfing, ringingmaster, hear, hear
snow report
snowcrazy, Hello Snowcrazy...where have you gone? Thought you were going to be in touch to do some fishing? Pick up your French mobile and check your messages, per favor! Little Angel
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy