Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LES ARCS 2008 / 2009

Poster: A snowHead
8am in 2000. Sun is shining but some dark clouds sround. Supposed to be raining? Meeting snowcrazy in an hour. Just woken up abd feel like bus has run us both over. Great prep for a day with the master! Catch up later
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Always a good idea to get your excuses in first Twisted Evil
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Excuses. Excuses! Snowcrazy had a very big crowd today and wifes toe is hurting (injury from January not boots). He was taking the group of to Montalbert so we ducked out to stay around Les Arcs. It wasn't an issue as he was going to be turning people away so others took our spot. Shame but we went up Glacier and did run to Villarogier where we are now sat having coffee in La Ferme. Bit slushy towards bottom but still skiable to Villarogier. Sun shining all morning and it was supposed to rain? Next decision is where for lunch. Can't sit in La Ferme for an hour?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
If this link works you can see the Back Up guys in action - well done everybody!! Very Happy Smile

http://anvilpf.razorstream.com:80/mediaserver?k=Ytc7QyJQP1pgmXyV6wlYdJr7Jyl4KBmqfX6M8nbMtYo3UCiBfpgS/dn6oYyPFqQ2
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
After Villarogier came back up and then did Bois De Lours. Hard work then went up to apartment for lunch. After lunch difficult to get going again but went down did Malgovert and came back into 2000 via Arpette lift. Saw the water slide for the first time from Arpette lift. Had the joy of watching a snowboarder flinch just before hitting water and falling in. Great to watch!

Snow soft and like glue after lunch. Finished for day. Wife wants to go shopping in 1950. Scary. Sun shone all day no rain or snow. See how feel in morning and what weather is like but blacks on La Plagne glacier are on the to do list.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thefatcontroller, are the runs to Villaroger still plenty snowy and were they enjoyable ? Do they look likely to last another 10 days ? wink
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just finished our last day of 8 skiing in Les Arcs - had a fabulous time on the slopes, came on leaps and bounds this week..even managed the black/red run off the AR, something I couldn't do when here in January. Also highly recommend rob@rar's apartment in 1800 - perfect location,very comfy and a view that would never get boring!! Thanks Rob!! Cant wait til next season.... Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
macduff,
Quote:

Also highly recommend rob@rar's apartment in 1800 - perfect location,very comfy and a view that would never get boring!! Thanks Rob!! Cant wait til next season
My sentiments entirely.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
nice day out with snowcrazy today, also with alanm and met codger, mrs codger & mini codger for the 1st time..

snow getting a bit sticky in places...certainly around 14:00 onwards on the lower bits, but even felt soft at the top of the gd rochette (2500m). Esselets on the way back to the VE should have been closed as it was dire.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another great day, not perfect conditions by far - but great company - great guide - and I know now, my slot in life on these trips 'Allan do you mind.....' SnowCrazy, Pas de problem. BTW run from the Altiport after the lifts closed was interesting - met with a basher on the track - didn't argue Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snowing heavy up in 2000. Nice.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thefatcontroller wrote:
Snowing heavy up in 2000. Nice.
Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
moffatross wrote:
thefatcontroller, are the runs to Villaroger still plenty snowy and were they enjoyable ? Do they look likely to last another 10 days ? wink

Still lots and lots of snow here, don't worry. Actually though a bit soft at times some of the best snow conditions I have seen here.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thefatcontroller, I wish I could tell you I'm not jealous.... Twisted Evil Have fun on the glacier tomorrow... I'll be thinking of you... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks thefatcontroller, you made me happy. Cool Arriving Grenoble around 9.00 am this Saturday so I should be in Arc 2000 by late afternoon. We hope to be in Villagroger and trying a crepe at La Ferme several times during the week and are also much looking forward to those blacks you mentioned off A. Rouge. Very Happy
snow conditions
Train arrives BsM at 16:55 Saturday... now getting a wee bit excitable.
ski holidays
8am here in 2000 and still snowing. From balcony looks like there has been a fair dsuting overnight. Not sure what to do today. Will go over La Plagne and see what is open black wise though spoke to snowcrazy on phone last night and he said glacier in La Plagne closed all day yesterday.

Schuss, might go find our run and see if we can get down it without falling 15 times!! Happy days.
ski holidays
Have tried again as made a Puzzled Embarassed rolling eyes Blush of it the first time - usually there is a 'hyper link' button so as all you do is click on a green 'play' button , but I can only send this video via the whole caboodle, hopefully if you click on the link you can get the video - after about 30 secs the Back Up team appear - if you click on the overhead banner it goes directly to their website - please let me know if it works this time. Good skiing - SO tempted to come straight back out!!

http://widgetpf.razorstream.com/apps/v.1.0/inc/mailplayer.aspx?hex=43fecbfb-784a-4daf-8bc4-73dd702e7d53&mediaId=23288539&lic=hw&hash=b33889f68cf946ffbcc9f8808338d0fefc6492d5&rec=club5@helloworld.com
ski holidays
macduff, glad you and Sam enjoyed the apartment.

Hurtle, ditto.

Smile
snow report
Leaving tomorrow - can't wait!
snow conditions
Boris wrote:
Leaving tomorrow - can't wait!

You should be excited! On Vanoise as I type. Gentle day in La Plagne. Wife still has bad toe injury from January so nothing adventerous (sorry Schuss). Warm again and no rain. Lovely day cruising around. Back now to 2000 for a cup of tea.
latest report
thefatcontroller, I am - off to Travel Inn in Ashford tomorrow night then (hopefully) rattle down early Sat.

As we had an excellent week in Jan - this is just a bonus really. Won't ski as much as will be with kids all day, not going for ski school again, but that's fine with me. Messing about, a few beers and hopefully some sunshine
latest report
Just got back in to apartment in 2000. Very tired. Good cruisy day and we managed to stay in the sun all day. Sun still shining but some black clouds around Tomorrow beckons more of the same. Lifes a bitch.

Boris, in these conditions cruising with the kids will be very nice.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, Are you going back on Saturday?
latest report
Boredsurfing, Either we leave les Arcs 5am Saturday for flight or travel up to Geneva tomorrow early evenign and stay in a hotel beside airport. As I get hotels for free wink , the travel up tomorrow night won. Not sure where to go tomorrow but most likley we will stay Les Arcs side.

rob@rar, You would be impressed spent 2 whole days this week Les Arcs side and had a ball Cool . The new Arpette lift next year will make the whole back end of 1600 and 2000 a great playground to get around.
ski holidays
Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news, but 'on piste' it was fairly well all over by 1-2PM today - from a skiers point of view anyway. 'Up the top' Grand col', was OK, down lower was just sticky slush - gave up at about 3PM - sunbathed for the rest of the afternoon. On my own so not too adventurous today, had a carving lesson 12-1PM with ESF - fine... 'Keep you're knees over you bindings' - Mmm how many times have I heard that??
latest report
Damn. I see Scooby Doo today and miss the 3 naked French ladies. French as well, got to be good looking. Must keep eyes peeled tomorrow.
latest report
allanm wrote:
Not wanting to be the bearer of bad news, but 'on piste' it was fairly well all over by 1-2PM today - from a skiers point of view anyway. 'Up the top' Grand col', was OK, down lower was just sticky slush - gave up at about 3PM - sunbathed for the rest of the afternoon. On my own so not too adventurous today, had a carving lesson 12-1PM with ESF - fine... 'Keep you're knees over you bindings' - Mmm how many times have I heard that??

Was trying to snow in 2000 come 2pm ish. definitely different weather patterns depending on which side of the ridge you were on this arvo - windy and overcast in 2000, sunny and warmer on the 1800 side...I kept going to about 4pm but it was like treacle at the end of the day. i ended up having to pole out at the bottom of the lac run (towards marmottes lift) for the 1st time this season..

Would be nice to get a bit colder but I think that's unlikely now - time to get out the warm snow wax and switch to making sure you do 1st run and then sack it early...
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
8am and sunny in Arc 2000. Last day for us so going to cruise around Les Arcs. Looks like there was a light dusting up here.
snow conditions
thefatcontroller, Shame you didn't make the blacks this trip Sad but maybe next season you'll have company for them.... Little Angel wink Really wanted to get back to LaP/LA this season, but the timings just didn't work out. It's on the 'must do' list for next year. snowHead
snow report
Friday was much better day, it was cooler, but very bright. Was first on Peisey lift at 9.15 a.m., following Bertie's advice, and zoomed round to 1800 Transarc pretty damn quick, all beautiful "corduroy" groomed pistes. I went straight up to Col de la Chal and straight down Plagnettes, hardly a soul on it, brilliant! Caught Varet & up at top of Aiguille Rouge just after 10.0a.m. I have never seen AR better all winter: the top piste was magnifico, a few centimetres of new snow on top of the pisted runs, even the road down to top of Lanchettes chair was mercifully clear of stones, a rare event indeed, and I charged down to Violettes chair in about 20 mins from the top. It was very enjoyable, very relaxing and very quiet, I could concentrate on my skiing, not on avoiding the idiots skiing down out of control - there were none! Bliss!
When I arrived back, I whipped back up Varet and did a few moguls on Robert Blanc, by this time my knees were beginning to feel it, so I retired to Arpette resto for a chocolat chaud, and linked up with some friends doing some gentle off piste below Col de Frettes chair, gentle, that is, till I did a face plant on some ice pack. By this time it was starting to warm up, so we cruised down Renard, Bellette & Rhodos, I said goodbye to my friends for the last ski of the season, went down Barmont, back up Grizzli chair & down Ecureuil piste, for my 51st day on skis this year. As Bertie would say, I was cream cracked, and it was still only 2.30 p.m., ready for some beer on the balcon.
For those of you coming out, there is still plenty of snow higher up, but my advice is - get out early and finish early, enjoy the sunshine.
snow report
Jamie, Hmm that was my plan too, but on getting to the varet at 10:30 the q at the top for the cable car was too looooooooooooooooooooong..

Surprised you managed to get down ecureuils for the last run - this was my photo of the run about 3 today, but in reality looked a lot more brown than this photo does justice..

it's probably ok for a couple of days if you take the 'left turn option' when you get to the clump of trees.
ski holidays
In Geneva. Relaxing last day in Les Arcs. We were of the slopes by 2pm. Cruised gently. However next time anyone skiing down Malgovert is feeling a little tired think how tired the French soldiers were we met skiing UP Malgovert this morning. Think they had set of from 1600. Interesting watching a guy (and ladies) with a full back packs skinning over the Malgovert moguls.
snow report
In a hotel in Dijon with the family - free WiFi
Will be in the resort at 11:30 tomorrow. Cant Wait.
ski holidays
Home. Great week but boy was it warm. Thats it now for this year. Different year for us skiing this year. Owned a place for the 1st time, drove for the 1st time and went self catering for the 1st time. Though different it went really well and we got to know Les Arcs better.

Thats it for me now for this year, hope those out there have a great time and see (speak) again next winter. Bye. Cool
snow report
Didn’t have much enthusiasm this morning, finally got out about 10:30 – went straight up to the bowl and the Grand Col. Snow off the sides was fine, all good fun. You have to traverse a bit (I need the practise though - C'est bon).
Met up lunchtime at the Avalanche park 'for another ‘play’, not quite as successful this time, they are a couple of ‘bodies’ still under there. Probing in the heat was quite hard work. Sat on a rock high on the traverse to the left of Tuffs for lunch, sweltering in just a tee-shirt (OK, and boots and..)
Afternoon went up the AG a couple of times – no queue, good snow off piste down from the top (left of the black down from the AR lift), across what I’m now told is the glacier, and also round the right hand side of the ‘bowl’ looking down from the AR, staying high as you can.
Incidentaly, (I know this isn't a 'snow report but...) I was 'taken out' for the first time (since I starting skiing) quite cleanly, from behind, on the little moguls at bottom of the first section of the ‘black’ on the way down from the AR. I was taking the fall line at a fairly slow pace. BANG. Not content with just skiing into me, the ‘gentleman’ decided he wanted a ‘piggy back’ and, as such decided that interlocking his legs around me, was probably the safest way for him to get down (Mmmm.. probably was for him), we proceeded for some considerable time (seemed like ages), until I pulled us both to a stop. He didn’t apologise, nor asked me if I was OK (although I asked him) , None of the group he was with, who finally caught up – said a word. The only thing I can think, is, there isn't much you can say if you know you've just..em.. made a mistake. I would have been mortified…

Finished the day off with Malgovert, still really good, didn’t get back til 4:45 what an unexpectedly a great day - Thanks K & G.
snow report
Re being taken out - I was side swiped getting on the Marmottes lift by Le Banana Man(dressed in an all in one yellow outfit) - typical Frenchie who didn't like queuing, slammed me straight on my butt, didnt stop when i called him a few choice words and ruined my days skiing - still suffering now 4 days later!!! But still love Les Arcs!!
snow report
Wasn't going to go out today, but was persuaded by a 'local'. Did just over a couple of hours, spent the afternoon in Maximas (Vallandry) - very enjoyable.

OK... First run down from Vallandry to 1800 was simply horrible, really glad I took my [Rossi] B2's not 80's today, as would have struggled to stay upright on the latter! Took the Vagere and made my way around to 1600.

Down form the top of the clocheret into comborciere was particularly good (traverse to the right under the lift). Under the Bois de L'ours was fine, gully on the right was worth doing. As said previously Malgovert is holding very well, great fun. Font Blanc (I think- run) from top of Arpette was horrible, on piste - man size icy moguls, but off to the right was much better. This will probably have improved later on in the day.

When all's said and done it ain't great, April is here, and not as good as same time last year. You have to choose your time and know where you're going. Given that you can still have a great time.

Big influx of British today, many UK cars in the car parks, the pistes 'looked' quite busy, but still no queues, afternoon looked very quiet, at least looking out fom the Mont Blanc (bar).

Definately a time more suited to these with season passes, who don't mind just spending just a few hours on the hill as opposed to these trying to squeeze every second out of an X day discovery.
latest report
allanm wrote:

Big influx of British today, many UK cars in the car parks, the pistes 'looked' quite busy, but still no queues, afternoon looked very quiet, at least looking out fom the Mont Blanc (bar).

Aboslutely - seemed quite bizarre - some of the runs were crazy busy and yet there didn't seem to be massive lift queues.

allanm wrote:

Definately a time more suited to these with season passes, who don't mind just spending just a few hours on the hill as opposed to these trying to squeeze every second out of an X day discovery.
Yep - I got out about 11:30 today and sacked it off around 3pm, definitely the right plan especially as there were quite a few day trippers in resort.

allanm wrote:

When all's said and done it ain't great, April is here, and not as good as same time last year. You have to choose your time and know where you're going. Given that you can still have a great time.

Indeed - the pistes are generally holding up well but resort knowledge is very useful right now to get the best out of the day.

Been raining here a little (in plan-peisey @ 1650m), but probably still snow higher up. top of the ag rouge was nice this lunchtime, but a little top up higher up can't be a bad thing, perhaps some coming later in the week.
snow conditions
Arrived here yesterday afternoon around 2pm, bought a 1/2 day and spent most of that time on the soft off piste snow near lanchettes and varet. Sitting in the crazy fox for wifi & beer after first full day. 1600 & 1800 this morning then villaroger for lunch via a sublime aiguille rouge. Bck to arcs via a superb & sporty droset then over to arpette for a boingy descent to 2000 again on the off piste under the avy barriers skiers left of bois de l'ours lift line. Surprised how unbusy it all is here and the wonderful variety available . I love the contrast from am to pm, from the rattly morning snow to perfect stuff late am and gloopy stuff in the afternoon. Loving it. Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy