Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How cold is Canada?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey guys and girls,
I'm going to be working in Whistler this season as an instructor, but i have never skied in Canada before. I have two jackets, a Cross one ( dont know the model) and a Orage Aaron one. Both these jackets have been warm enough in Europe with a t-shirt, or a thin fleece on cold days. My question is what kind of base layers etc and how many will i need to survive?
Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
50% of the time I had a thermal layer, thin fleece and jacket. 45 just a thermal layer and a jacket and the other 5% it was too cold to ski wink

THat was Banff, Whistler is generally not as cold. Just make sure your jackets are water proof Laughing
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I moved to British Columbia last September and skied in the Coast mountains a few hours north of Whistler last year (Smithers). The coldest I skied in was -34C which was unbelieveable....both in terms of squeaky snow quality and painfully cold.
Whistler is generally much warmer than that but is nearer the coast so can feel colder than it really is....humidity and all that.
Generally a decent base layer, thin fleece and windproof shell are fine most of the time.
BTW.....I live near Williams Lake (easy to find on Google Maps) it's snowing here now.....2" this afternoon!
Little Angel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't believe what I'm seeing, I asked exactly the same question about 3 weeks ago or something, I am going to Whistler this season to get my instructors qualifications with nonstop ski. Will se you there ollie_90, can't wait.

I have been looking at getting some new gear and I spoke to this chick in a shop over in the US somewhere and she reckons its worth me waiting till I get there and buying my gear out there (clothes I mean) because they have loads of choive in Whistler and it'll be cheaper because of the exchange rate, the US $ might have dive bombed but the CAD is still going up around 2:1.

Who are you working for this season?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Check it out:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42851

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ollie_90, if you're working as an instructor they will provide some kit. For a rough idea, search on YouTube for Guide to Whistler Ski Bum.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ollie_90, best of luck - and Welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Canada can get pretty cold, I have experienced -55 at Sunshine Village and had to quit after two runs. (The snow doesn't really slide that well when it's that cold) Saying that, -20,-30,-40 doesn't feel as cold there as it would here and that's mainly to do with it being a dry cold. Then again that was Alberta and if you're close to the BC coast it might feel colder. Your jacket will be fine, I find base layer, fleece and hard shell deals with most conditions and then add an extra layer, micro fleece or gilet when it gets -30+.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
went to whistler last christmas and new year. being near the coast it was quite windy and it snows alot - upper part of mountain shut for at least 5 out of 14 days.

but..... it wasn't as cold as europe for the same time in previous years.

Wrap up for staying dry i'd say.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When I went on rugby tour a couple of years ago I wore shorts and t-shirt

Though when I skied there I dressed up warm - very warm!

Presumably if you are going for the season you can buy extras ot there!! you might need them.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ollie_90, If you need more kit , head down the valley to Squamish outlet shops soooo much cheaper Smile
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whistler doesn't get very cold. Normally there is 1 or 2 weeks a season where its -15 to -20 C.
The rest of the season, the coldest you would expect would be -10 and 75% of the time its around -5.
I generally wear a base thermal, thin fleece and a shell jacket - when its cold, I wear a thicker fleece.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
if ur going whistler - I recommend 2 places to eat out:

Apres - this is the best food I have ever eaten in my whole life (it is in the street behind KFC - kinda up the hill towards whistler on the left - i think it might be directly behind the market sq supermarket) the guy who owns this place used to be head chef at the bear foot bistro - that restaurant has the reputation because of him and it ain't up to much without him - so may as well follow him where he has gone to get the good grub

Whistler village Japanese - actually cheapest sushi and jap food i've ever had - but been dreaming of it since

40 days and 40 nights to go til i go to Alpe D'huez

bring on the winter
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
wbsr wrote:
Whistler doesn't get very cold. Normally there is 1 or 2 weeks a season where its -15 to -20 C.
The rest of the season, the coldest you would expect would be -10 and 75% of the time its around -5.
I generally wear a base thermal, thin fleece and a shell jacket - when its cold, I wear a thicker fleece.

I agree. The cold reputation comes from the Alberta resorts. Lake Louise can get seriously cold, but over on the coast it's fairly mild most of the time in single figure minus temps.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was luck enough to get a few weeks out there last season! At the peaks a few times it was hitting -20ish maybe lower. I was in a thermal, fleece, face protector and jacket even with all this I was cold a few times. Helmets are also good at protecting from the wind and keep you surprisingly warm. But it can vary easier just to bring a rucsac with you and put some extra layers in!

Would also recommend waiting till you get out there much cheaper than her, I will be going back again this year in Feb and I was looking at some new skis as I will be skiing in Europe later in the season, in the UK the skis I want were about £599 with bindings and in Whistler £420!!!! No brainer! Plus you should be classed as a local so should get a card which some shops will take, giving a decent discount!

Also highly recommend going to the Whistler Ski factory, Prior. Mostly do boards but also got some good skis.

Sushi Village Smile hmmmmmmm

Also really like Hy's Steakhouse!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy