Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Mid-December ski ideas?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Have a one-off chance to go skiing in mid December for up to 10 days. Question is where? Family of 4 with 2 young kids who have both skiied before but are still beginners.

Happy to cross the pond to North America as don't usually have that many days to go skiing, but would want to have as little journey time (flight and transfer) as possible. Plus the greatest chance of early snow.

Any ideas / thoughts welcome
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to Snowheads AJhoops Madeye-Smiley

A Load of us are going to Tignes. Im not much help am afraid.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AJhoops, How young are the kids?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
6 and 4
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You neeed to make it easy for yourself then at that age - i.e. accommodation close to slopes, no need to get on buses, don't want to be near big roads etc. In terms of france then val thorens is probably the most snow-sure but and ticks the no slopes / no roads bit but can be a bit 'windswept' plus at 2300m some kids don't like the altitude. A lot of the 'classic' french resorts paradiski, courcchevel aren't opening til 14th dec, so might be a little late for you.

Austria can give you the requirements, and bits can be 'chocolate box pretty' so allow me to suggest Lech which opens in theory on 28/11 and if there's enough snow then oberlech would be fantastic. Out wed 10th Dec with easyjet to innsbruck return friday 19th. £135 for an adult. Transfers via train to Langen or St. Anton and then taxi, or get a private transfer via http://www.airportbus.at/finished_v3/index.php or http://www.innsbruck-taxi.com/en/index.php for around 200 eur alternatively hire a car and it's 130k drive (but a bit pointless when you're there). It also looks pretty good too - http://www.skiarlberg.at/west/english/services/files/oberlech800x600.jpg

Accomodation - there is stacks and stacks on the resort website (in english) - http://www.lech-zuers.at choose what you want and away you go.

Othe recommendations for family in Austria here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1043556&highlight=family+austria#1043556 and http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1037650&highlight=family+austria#1037650

I have no particular affiliation to lech - I've just been there 2x on day trips from st anton, and really really enjoyed it - I think it's great for mixed abillity groups and guess it ticks most boxes for families too, and the whole arlberg region seems to gear itself up more easily than some places to variable duration trips. Only downside is it's not the cheapest of places, but then if you were talking about going across the pond then...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AJhoops, I'd say Espace Killy (Tignes & Val D'Isere) - officially opens on 29th November, & should be fully operational by mid-December, all being well... Nice & high, & with a glacier just in case all is not well! But it's looking very good so far snowHead

Last year, we went from 3rd to 6th December, & the snow was excellent, so we're crossing our fingers for a similarly good year (& as I say, initial reports are promising!) & have booked for 14th-21st December snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
AJhoops, if you can afford it, Lech sounds great. I've always fancied going there. The Espace Killy will have plenty of skiing open but it's not that user-friendly, especially for small kids. At least, I don't think so - though lots will disagree. It's pretty dark, in mid-winter, down in Val D'Isere. If you decide on the EK, I'd go for Tignes.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks everyone for the ideas, I will have a look through
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
AJhoops, Would agree with Bertie basset on this one. Oberlech is a fantastic base. Took the kids this year (4 7 and 10 at the time) and they loved it. I had been previous year with wife and other couple and like Bertie Basset ski at Lech etc when in St Anton, so I knew in advance that it would be great. Oberlech has great slopes for beginners and intermediates and snow record is second to none in Alps (check last months Daily Mail Ski mag to confirm - Warth the one that actually one first spot is visable from Oberlech). www.oberlech.com good interactive map for finding hotels. We have stayed at Hotel Montana last 2 years and the location is right outside ski school and on the slopes, got the best food I have ever tasted and almost at the start of the toboggan run down to Lech, which your kids will love just as much, if not more, than the skiing. Cheaper alternatives to Montana is the Sporthotel Crest or Hotel Igla/Ilga (?), which are equally good in terms of location. Here is the current webcam view of Hotel Monata http://www.lech-zuers.at/xxl/_lang/en/_season/at2/_area/585621/_subArea/585774/_camID/5810/_inc/live-camera/index.html

In addition if you stay in Oberlech the kids can use the creche/play area free of charge, which could allow you both some time to yourselves.

Lech/Oberlech can be dear to get to, but once there is cheaper than say La Plagne etc..honest.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The US offers a lot of ski resorts that are very family oriented. From things like child care (babysit your kids skiing so you can go ski on the more advanced hills), to things like carnival rides and games.

If you are looking at something more along those lines, then the US is definitely a great place to start. Vermont has some good ones (closest to Europe), or you can go further in to Colorado.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy