Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix 2008/9

Poster: A snowHead
Been very quiet this thread recently....but it snowed last night by the looks of it Very Happy
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Alex A wrote:
Been very quiet this thread recently....but it snowed last night by the looks of it Very Happy

did it! A good 6" on the car when i got up this morning so it had to be first lift out. Fresh tracks to be had for about an hour until the masses woke up. snowed maybe another 2-4" during the day but its stopped now Sad . Still, no bother its supposed to do a foot+ over the next few days, and I've nowhere else to be Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
20cm more according to the lift company Very Happy
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bloody wind Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wednesday and Thursday:

Wednesday the top was closed but we rode lovely powder around the lower lifts anyway...

Freshies below Evettes at Flegere

Thursday was ace!

Soft landings in bottomless powder at Brevent
Air at Brevent

Lovely snow and it cleared up in the afternoon...
Powder at Brevent, off the Cornu

...and back home - thick snow all the way down to the valley floor at Flegere

Home run at Flegere
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
firebug, thanks - that's cheered me up no end. We'll be out on 23 February. Looks like a snowy week too Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hmmm.... i'm out 28th Feb till 14th March and I know it's a too long to forecast but after all this low pressure i'm terrified of high pressure getting setup and sticking around. I want powder !!! Especially after buying my 193cm Stockli dp pro + beasts today !! lol... Very Happy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Alex A wrote:
Hmmm.... i'm out 28th Feb till 14th March and I know it's a too long to forecast but after all this low pressure i'm terrified of high pressure getting setup and sticking around. I want powder !!! Especially after buying my 193cm Stockli dp pro + beasts today !! lol... Very Happy Toofy Grin

Back in the UK at the mo, but iGoogle tells me that it's tickling down a bit of fresh in Cham each day. Alex A - are you out with a group in March or on your tod, as I am out 9th to 13th and would like some compoany for off piste if the conditions are right.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
midgetbiker, Hi.. I'm out with my family (wife and 3 year old + 8 month old) and the in laws. We are staying in a private chalet apartment in Le Tour as it's close to the Panda Club that Millie is going to ! Driving out and you are welcome to join my wife and I and have some fun off piste Very Happy Lot's depends on how well Millie takes to the skiing but fingers crossed that will go well but i'll have time to do some good stuff I hope. Let's hope we get dumped on and can have some fun in the powder hey!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Alex A, Hi.. I'm out with my family (wife and 3 year old + 8 month old) and the in laws.

just got back from a fortnight with the wife and 2 yr old. Do you need contact details for an apartment full of Swedish girls who are all keen to do a bit of babysitting? Some have nannying experience, teaching assistant work, and junior SKI INSTRUCTION. Let me know, I can email you the details and UK references. We found them near the end of our Feb fortnight and used them a few times, they seemed fine & we have them all lined up for the family fortnight in April Very Happy

PS 9€ an hour days/10€ evenings
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
midgetbiker wrote:
Do you need contact details for an apartment full of Swedish girls

Oh how the mind wanders at the end of a working day.

wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
midgetbiker, actually yes as we are looking for "staff". SRLSY!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:
SRLSY!!
??
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Oh 'seriously'!
As what?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm flying out to Cham tomorrow morning with 6 other friends, We're really looking forward to it, as our last ski trip was crappy we went to Borovets on the last week of the season and spent the week skiing in/on what looked like brown slush puppy with hire ski's that were only fit for the bin!

can anyone tell me what the conditions are like at the moment and whats forecast for the next few days? We've got the green "Chamonix Le Pass" lift passes and will be skiing there most of the time, but might venture over on to the Red pass areas for a day if we are feeling adventurous, I see there arent many marked pistes on that part of the resort, whats it like there? do we need to be ready with back country kit, probes, avalanche beacons ect? Is it worth geting a guide for the day?

Oh and one other thing, we are all on a budget so plan on cooking our own meals most of the time, but might wanna go out for a few drinks and maybe one or two meals, any recomendations on where to eat and drink without spending a fortune?
ski holidays
Deejayry, conditions are fantastic. (in common with most /all of the alps.

MBU (Red) only adds Aiguille du Midi (you would need a guide) and top of Grands Montets. The Aiguille du Midi is well worth it for the scenery (aka the Vallee Blanche). (You need a guide unless you are experienced ski mountaineers/off piste riders able to cope with glacier terrain).

Food recommendation - Le Jekyll - specifically the steak pie. Menu and wine list high quality and great value. Midnight Express and Poco Loco great for burgers and chips/etc.

Drinks - both Bar'd Up and Munster have happy hours. Le Pub always good. Have become quite entranced by Derappage.

Excellent pizzas at Casa Valerio.

Where you staying?
ski holidays
Thanks for the quick reply dude, i'm glad to hear the conditions are good, thats just ramped the excitement up a shed load!!

thanks for the info on the red pass, We are all mostly piste skiiers covering a range of experience, some of us are now getting a little braver and have been thinking about a bit of serious off piste ski, but none of us have had any real time off piste, so by the sound of things we will definetly need a guide, but its good to know this beforehand.

MMmm Pie... ME like Pie!! (in the words of the famous Weebl) i'll have to give that one a try NehNeh

We're staying in Chalet Germaine, not quite sure where in chamonix it is, but i have a feeling its fairly close to the Le Savoy nursery slopes.
snow report
Wow.... perfect example of how the forecast can be so wrong only a few hours away ! 20cm of snow overnight and puking down in town still from looking at cams / lift company stats Very Happy Yes they said some snow but not this much Laughing
snow conditions
Alex A wrote:
Wow.... perfect example of how the forecast can be so wrong only a few hours away ! 20cm of snow overnight and puking down in town still from looking at cams / lift company stats Very Happy Yes they said some snow but not this much Laughing

What's it like in town at the moment? Getting in about 9pm tonight & the car is booked with Budget so no chains included. I am stopping at Carrefour in Sallanche on the way in to buy some groceries, should I be buying chains as well? I will be wanting to drive out to Le Tour & GM during the week.
Thanks for any obs.
ski holidays
It's dumping it down, chains might be a good idea.
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
It's dumping it down, chains might be a good idea.

Thanks for that. Just checked Chamonix.net and it's still saying no precipitation and roads into Cham and on to Argen are just "snow tyres useful" so it looks like things are a bit out of date.
Still sounds like a day for the fat planks tomorrow snowHead
snow report
http://www.chamonet.com/webcams/jpg/chami7_big.jpg Very Happy
snow report
midgetbiker, Something around 82mm in the waist will be great! Laughing
snow conditions
midgetbiker, you are a very lucky person. If all goes to plan tomorrow will be lovely - sunshine and 15-20 cms of freshies.

Clouds breaking up as we headed for home. Not deep enough to need fat skis, our SL-Rs coped just fine, sinking in enough that you knew it had snowed rather than floating all over the surface Twisted Evil
snow conditions
Just got back from what i can only describe as the best skiing holiday i have ever had, Chamonix is an amaing resort. The weather has warmed up over the last week and snow has melted from the trees and most of the snow on the roads down in the valley, but there is still plenty up the top. Watch out on the black run "Nants" there are quite a few stones coming through the snow, i now have a nice gouge out of my week old ski's!

We had a wicked day on thursday at Le Tour,, we ended up hiking up to one of the lower peaks for a bit of powder fun, although there was a 1" thick icy crust on the faces that get the sun.

Friday was a perfect day at Le Grande Montets, spent most of the day in the park until i did my back in!
snow report
We are seriously considering going to Chamonix, flights are the only thing we have organised so far -18-23 March. Any chalets or hotels to recommend, we will be all male and would prefer our own bedrooms, definitely 2 possibly 3.
snow conditions
It's been snowing (again...)

snow report
Quote:

It's been snowing (again...)

Don't anybody use it, I can't get there till monday Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Save some for me too! I'll be there in 23 days. Not that I'm counting Very Happy
snow report
northantsred wrote:
We are seriously considering going to Chamonix, flights are the only thing we have organised so far -18-23 March. Any chalets or hotels to recommend, we will be all male and would prefer our own bedrooms, definitely 2 possibly 3.

Last year had a good cheap stay at 'The Priory' (I think it's Le Prieure but I'm sure someone will correct my spelling) part of Best Mont Blanc chain and right in Chamonix proper - good breakies and nice sauna and massage facilities. Also I've never seen the rooms at Le Rhodedendron in Les Praz but the bar on a night is a good crack and your right opposite the Flegere lift - Jerry who runs it is a good bloke doing a good job.
ski holidays
midgetbiker wrote:
......... I can't get there till monday Sad

Cool, we'll be round the corner in Megeve towards the end of next week. Have a good week.
ski holidays
Mosha Marc, I'm out there every other week this season Very Happy . Are you still hoping to get over to Chamonix during your stay in Megeve (the VB maybe wink ), if so what day. I'm skiing tues/weds/thurs next week then I'm back out on the 20th. Sounds like i might be gone before you arrive, are you over for a week or longer?
snow report
midgetbiker, every other week Shocked Evil or Very Mad What are you? Cabin crew now?

Sadly we're only over for a sneaky weekend, Thurs/Sun, so we'll miss you I'm afraid. VB would have been a good idea though.

I think I feel a plan coming together............... Twisted Evil
snow report
I'm here now and by all accounts it was snowing last night and this morning. Got out about 2ish and the viz was not so bad at Flegere. The powder though was BAD, in a yoof/street sense. Multiple runs down the side of or between - well anything really. Well worth going out for a couple of hours. Smile
snow conditions
Sounding very good, err bad, I mean ........
ski holidays
Dumping it down in Cham
ski holidays
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
Dumping it down in Cham

'tis too 'n' all Very Happy
latest report
Great day at Grand Montets. Managed a run off the top of the montets lift before it got too grim up there, viz was poor and wind at the top was lifting your skis off your shoulder on the way down the stairs, but snow knee deep in most places once you got out of the wind. Then retired to the runs in the gullies and through the trees above Plan Joran (sure that names not quite right) restaurant. Just top!
As SMALLZOOKEEPER says it is currently tippping it down and tomorrow should be excellent, though the pisteurs in the pub reckon everything will be late opening if the snow keeps coming down at anything like its current rate.
snow report
Loads of snow on Tuesday night, lifts a little late getting going in the morning but then plenty of fun to be had until the stupidly hot sun turned it all to porridge! 16 degrees in the car park at Flegere at lunchtime! Thursday a gorgeous day, but my legs had had it after three decent offpiste days so it was Le Tour for smooth pistes and practicing carving with 110 underfoot Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Back to Cham at the end of this month for the UCPA Freeride Ski course out of Argentiere. Can't wait!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy