Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Wrist guards: essential or just stupid?

Poster: A snowHead
Wrist guards: injury-saving vital equipment which only a fool would even look at a snowboard without, or worse-than-useless bad-habit-reinforcing false friends?

Seriously, discuss.

I read VolklAttivaS5's thread asking for protective gear advice, which what prompted me to do some research. The reason I am starting this potentially dangerous thread - complete with provocative title Razz - is that I have today found this page on snowboard-specific wrist injuries and the effect of wearing wrist guards. This page has caused me to reconsider my previous attitude (i.e. that wristguards reinforce bad habits by allowing beginners to think it's OK to fall badly and are therefore a bad idea). I may or may not invest in a pair, I'm not sure... but I'm certainly thinking about it.

There are still other factors involved - quality of wristguards, how the rider is falling to name just two - but I'm less certain now that my previous attitude is right. Having said that, we all know that riding around with loads of safety gear on doesn't guarantee an injury-free riding experience...

Above all, I still recommend very strongly that anyone on a snowboard should know how to fall. FOOSH (Fall On an Out-Stretched Hand) injury are presumably almost 100% preventable. Don't be afraid to let your torso take the impact... it's bigger than your hand so is less likely to break (plus you can roll over it).

Right, now where did I leave my Nomex™ suit? NehNeh

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 12-08-08 14:39; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
just more crap to lug around... if it wasnt so bloody cold i'd snowboard in shorts and a tee shirt! wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
CANV CANVINGTON, I saw a guy who'd been doing just that, the first day I spent on a board. His lower arms were gashed and bleeding from wrist to elbow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
That fatcontroller chappie will be along in a minute to tell us that they should be made compulsory for anyone planning to get out of bed, let alone go near a snowboard. Laughing

I used them from the start because I have seen so many broken wrists on beginner boarders - in over ten years of working with school parties I don't think I saw a single group of boarders go home with all arms intact. I have Flexmeter gloves with built in guards which run up the back of the hand and forearm - lot more comfortable and convenient than the usual skate type ones with a metal bar along the inside of the wrist.

I also wear a helmet, which has paid for itself several times over. I don't use knee pads or those Terminator-style panties. I have fallen on my bum only once and my knees not at all that I can remember.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
God..... not again...
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My missus wears them because she's had a few too many bad falls and they reassure her, although she is particularly keen not to fall over in the first place because she knows they won't save her 100 per cent. maybe she has got intot he habit of wearing them but as she's progressed, she's stared not to put them on all of the time, so maybe she's broken the habit many newcomers fall into.

Me? I wore them on my first trip after I seriously pooped my right wrist. They helped me continue boarding for the remainder of the holiday (5 days) but the damage was done in the first place - my wrist still can't bend back fully even after 18 months and plenty of excercise. Should I have worn them from the start? Maybe but we do have a habit of learning from our mistakes.

Shallimus, I think the point you've made about learning how to fall is a key one – I've never done any serious amount of lessons (basically self-taught) so I don't know whether the falling aspect is drummed in early enough in the teaching process in resort or at places like MK. Turning, switching edges and stopping are all important but we know that falling occurs, no matter how good we are, so maybe learning to fall should be one of the key lessons?

I knwo the magazines, for all the technique they print, rarely address such matters. I think Document did a piece on injuries late 2006 but it was mor eabout spinal and disastrous ones that befall those of us who want to do 360 Air grabs before we know how to strap in!!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I knwo the magazines, for all the technique they print, rarely address such matters. I think Document did a piece on injuries late 2006 but it was mor eabout spinal and disastrous ones that befall those of us who want to do 360 Air grabs before we know how to strap in!!

That's my logic, wrists and arms/legs heal, you only get one back.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kruisler wrote:
God..... not again...

I know, I know... but I hadn't seen this page before and thought it might be of interest to someone who hadn't seen it either Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I don't know whether the falling aspect is drummed in early enough in the teaching process in resort or at places like MK.

First thing I was taught on the "Board in a Day" course at MK. However, the instructor was also realistic and said he was instructed to tell us how to fall, but that we'd probably not actually manage to do it until we were a bit more advanced and had hurt ourselves badly doing it the wrong way. I learnt quite fast not to fall onto my coccyx. As for FOOSH, I fell off a kerb outside a French supermarket a couple of years ago (not watching where I was going) and did a superb fall onto my hip and shoulder, arms across chest, and felt both very foolish and rather pleased with myself.

No talk about how to fall on a French private lesson though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Shallimus,

I am only bantering...And anyway, this will likely come up a few more times as winter nears! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard,
Quote:

I have Flexmeter gloves with built in guards which run up the back of the hand and forearm - lot more comfortable and convenient than the usual skate type ones with a metal bar along the inside of the wrist.

I bought my daughter a pair of these because she has broken her left wrist three times (not snowboarding); she finds them comfortable and reassuring although she does endeavour to fall without putting her arms out to stop her. She would recommend them.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Flexmeter have got lots of yes's on this and the other thread. I will have a look at getting some of them. Are they online purchasing only or can I find them in UK shops to try the fit of them as david@mediacopy suggests?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
VolklAttivaS5, I bought mine in Sport 2000 in 2Alpes. They are a small and my usual glove size is 6.5/7 if that helps.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Lizzard, thanks very much. My glove size is about the same too so I'll try size Small cheers! I am looking forward to boarding again on nice soft snow in Tignes come December hopefully!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I must be lucky I have never fallen on my wrists .... I just seem to use my head or my naturally padded backside Embarassed
snow conditions
Shallimus, you're right about not guaranteeing injury-free rides ... when I was at Les 2 Alpes, impact shorts and wrist guards didn't stop me cracking a rib on day 2!

Rest of the holiday spent browsing in the resort shops and drinking Laughing
ski holidays
Oh no aviator! Shocked
I would be so [pointlessly] furious if that happened to me...
ski holidays
aviator, you gave up ??? Shocked I did 2 ribs in April on day 3 & carried on, there was no way I was wasting the trip I had looked forwards to ... 1000mg of paracetmol and I was flying !
ski holidays
On a serious note: don't overdo the paracetamol, Debbi. 1000mg is quite a lot, especially if you are small or your liver isn't in a good mood for any reason.
According to this National Institute of Health page on paracetamol, a toxic dose is 10g (or less if you weigh less than 50kg); this could cause severe liver damage or even death.
Quote:
Patients 6 years of age or older should be referred to an emergency department if they have ingested at least 10 g or 200 mg/kg (whichever is lower)

1000mg shouldn't be dangerous on its own, but remember that lots of medicines contain paracetamol (aka acetaminophen) so doubling up with cold remedies or stuff like that could quickly cause a very real problem. You probably know all this already but I'd rather bore you with something you know than not share something important just because I didn't want to seem like a dork...

Nagging because I care Little Angel

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 14-08-08 9:34; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
DebbiDoesSnow, i snapped a couple of ribs once playing rugby and could not even pick up my empty sports bag after the game !! you probably had a girly hair line fracture NehNeh
ski holidays
rayscoops, OI !! Bloody cheek !! I couldnt even bend over to put my socks on !! Couldn't sleep or move properly for 2 months Evil or Very Mad

All I was saying was I was not going to waste my last chance on the slopes for a season ( after my 1st week was ruined ) for a poxy broken rib or 2 ... Boarders are supposed to be hardcore remember Laughing

Shallimus, bless you ! When i said I was flying I really mean I was flying ... got seasick on the gondolas ... still It got me through one of the best weeks of boarding
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow, i apologise then, you are one hard bird Laughing
snow conditions
rayscoops, I am Sturdy Girl Laughing
latest report
Only for the hardcore UK... boarder? Cool
ski holidays
suits of kevlar armour should be compulsory for every one.. your arms shoulnd be splinted and kept inside the quilt protective covering for your body.. dont worry how you look no one will be able to see or hear you in there full race arai race helmets with ipod nano sound systems
latest report
DebbiDoesSnow, respect. But if you couldn't put your socks on, how did you strap yourself onto your board? Maybe you slept in it.....
ski holidays
pam w,

Bet you she got some poor sod to do all the hard work for her then claim all the glory! Toofy Grin
snow report
pam w, by the time i was ready to strap my board on the painkillers had kicked in, but it did take me a lot longer than normal and I had to lean at a weird angle to do them up. I also couldnt go as fast or do what i wanted to do but at least I was on the slopes enjoying the view and the moutain air on my face Razz

Also Mouth is a tough bird too! she boarded all week with a badly broken thumb. All swollen and blue..

Kruisler, NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Burton Impact gloves...any good?

Do they offer wrist protection in line with Dakine/RED/Protec guards?

Can get a cheapish pair and my current gloves have seen better days...
ski holidays
Shallimus, 1000mg is the standard dose on packs of paracetamol.
ski holidays
My Flexmeter gloves arrived today and they are enormous! Got the right size though in a Medium. I think a Small would have been slightly too small. They feel good on, but I don't think I'll be able to use them for skiing as they are a bit uncomfortable holding a ski pole. Of course, boarding your hands are just relaxed so for that they're ideal. There's no way my wrist will be moving anywhere with these beauts on! Can't put my hand flat on the floor (which is the idea I guess). Hopefully that doesn't mean broken fingers instead in a wipe out!
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, I have used mine for skiing occasionally (lent ski gloves to friends, forgot them, brought wrong ones etc etc) - they were OK as long as I didnt tighten the straps around the arm. Mine only have the single guard though.
ski holidays
Lizzard, ah. Mine have got the double guards so that makes it difficult to use ski poles with them. I will try them without doing up the wrist straps though to see if that's easier.
ski holidays
Lizzard, VolklAttivaS5,

Back on topic please! wink Toofy Grin

Burton Impact Gloves? anyone with experience/views?
snow report
Kruisler, Looks like its a NO NehNeh
snow report
DebbiDoesSnow,
NehNeh back! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Kruisler, that wasn't the original topic. NehNeh

However, I predict that you will pay 15% over the odds because they have 'Burton' written on them.
snow report
Lizzard,

wink

I am only looking at them because they're discounted and in line with other discounted Scott/Dakine/Protec gloves..i.e. £35
snow conditions
I am about to buy flexmeter gloves. The US site says most men need a size L flexmeter but I have Dakine Tital GT Gloves Size M. Does anyone who has tried or who owns these have any suggestions whether i need the M or L? Also anyone know if there is a retailer in London or MK stocking them?

Edit: hmm just seen the sizing guide on alpsgear.co.uk for this and my palm is about 192mm long. Does this mean i should def get the L? Im a guy but my hands arent that big, my fingers are quite slender Embarassed
thanks

Andy
snow conditions
any uk stockists of the flexmeter products?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy