Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Stance Settings for Junior Beginner

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, Can anybody help me with advice on stance settings for my sons new board.

Boy, 9 Years old, Boot size 4, Board size 126 Nitro Brawler, Burton Bindings.
Average height and weight for his age.
Currently set at -15 +15

He is floating leaf quite confident now and i am getting him to try and learn his turns.

Rides regular but often switches. How i dont know, because i still find that difficult!!

He has been over a couple of jumps (to my horror) at the Chillfactore in Manchester and is keen to do more freestyle. But i am trying him to link his turns first.

Any advice is welcome, look forward to hearing from you all.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I found kids do switch around for no reason, I had one I was teaching go switch up the t bars the ride normal down. I would leave him as he is, 15 -15 is good, if he ever figures out goofy or regular properly then maybe back the rear off between -6 and -12 but 15 -15 wont kill him. I like it that he boards at that age and is set up duck, good work Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Stab. Kids seem to have more bottle than us older folk.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
oh god, I am older folk Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
stab, Grampa wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DJADS, I'd suggest starting him at less of a duck stance to begin. The reason he keeps spinning around is because he isn't properly "weighting" the necessary edge to keep the nose of his board travelling downhill. If you angle his stance at front foot positive 12 to 15 degrees, rear foot -3 to +3, he'll be somewhat coaxed into learning how to utilize his lead foot properly to manipulate the board. Most people dont realize (in the beginning at least) that the lead foot is the primary tool used by snowboarders, and requires that more pressure is applied to the lead edge with the lead foot (either heel or toe depending on the direction you want to go) to prevent unwanted spins on the snow. Even in powder snow, although the weight is transfered over the rear leg by shifting your hips, the lead foot is still initiating the "torsional twist" necessary to begin carving/turning. If you're around Chamonix this winter, I'd be glad to set up a few hours of lessons (at a friendly price) to get him on the right track. Been instructing for years in the US and Europe, but moved on to a bit of a different role this season and will have some free time for private sessions. Drop me a note if you'd like, otherwise best of luck and thanks for allowing your boy to join the darkside!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy