Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lecht, Scotland, Opening on Fri 31 Oct 2008.

Poster: A snowHead
Lecht will have 2 or 3 runs open this Fri to Sun:

http://www.winterhighland.info/snowreports/index.php?resort=lt

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 29-10-08 16:05; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hell how did someone beat me to that..... Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My car is booked in the garage Friday for it's MOT! Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm due for fitting my winter tyres on Monday, currently riding on virtual slicks. Damn!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Get a taxi! woooooooooooo
snow conditions
 brian
brian
As pointed out on the other thread, Friday is the 31st October.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well done to the Lecht.

First non gacier lift served skiing in Europe, and perhaps nearly the northern hemisphere Shocked

Got to be a worth a headline somewhere !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
What's the situation going to be like on the roads? Not been up before and i have city dwelling summers on..
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll be down in Glasgow on Friday Sad
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Roads - Snow showers expected Friday, but not to as low levels as yesterday, so apart from the final approaches the roads shouldn't be an issue, but some drifting likely up top in a moderate NE wind. Saturday looks dry atm, Sunday still up in the air.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've been looking at flights to Aberdeen, but they're all too expensive (over £200) or leave on Friday morning. Bummer. It would have been good to pop on a plane at Bristol - Aberdeen ski for 2 days and then home ... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Being as The Lecht is one of my favourite places to ski. Lucky you guys who live within driving distance. Enjoy. Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ahh wow i almost wish i wasnt saving up for a trip in jan so i could get some skiing done now
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cant decide whether to drive up on friday, ski saterday, and then drive home sunday. Its a long way from Gloucestershire but would be awesome to ski in the UK in October!
latest report
 brian
brian
JimSearle, Saturday would be November. Still pretty awesome but I'm not sure I'd drive all the way from Gloucestershire for the Lecht. I'm pretty unlikely to drive all the way from Edinburgh for the Lecht come to that (without any of Falcon, Harrier, Buzzard anyway).
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Damn!
snow report
Winterhighland wrote:
Roads - Snow showers expected Friday, but not to as low levels as yesterday, so apart from the final approaches the roads shouldn't be an issue, but some drifting likely up top in a moderate NE wind. Saturday looks dry atm, Sunday still up in the air.

Winterhighland, Has the Lecht, or any other stakeholders, put out a press release about their Oct opening? Gotta be worth some publicity.
snow conditions
Lecht has 3 lifts open and a busy carpark for October skiing:

http://www.lecht.co.uk/photos.cfm
ski holidays
some shots of people riding at winterhighland, I bet those "off piste" don't understand what the word "Base" means....

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1109
snow report
There are some additional photos here:

http://www.winterhighland.info/2006/pix/pixalbum.php?pix_id=488
latest report
kitenski wrote:
I bet those "off piste" don't understand what the word "Base" means....

http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?50,1109

Sure they do, it's where you put your ptex once a year. Cool Actually, Lecht is not bad at all as it has very few rocks or stones to damage the bottoms of a board or skis (unlike those heading to Cairngorm on Saturday which will be noisy and scrunchy / grindy when venturing onto the fresh stuff). Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Whitegold, kitenski, Looks bril - wish I was richer! Sad
latest report
Was up at the Lecht today Smile

Was a lot of fun and much better conditions than I expected. Full cover for all the runs open, no horrible slushy bits or stones etc. There was 2 pomas and the chair going intermittently so not a lot of terain and I probably wouldn't drive back from Edinburgh just for that but definately worth it to have skied in Scotland in October and beats sitting in Edinburgh not skiing:) I've never been at the Lecht before but was very impressed, they were out pisting the runs all day, fixing problems quickly. Nice little cafe with good food and very cheap Smile

Going to Cairngorm tomorrow so will see what thats like
latest report
Peter S wrote:
Well done to the Lecht.

First non gacier lift served skiing in Europe, and perhaps nearly the northern hemisphere Shocked

Got to be a worth a headline somewhere !

Yes the Lecht need to be really hitting the PR front hard - I really didn't expect that Scotland would be the first 'slopes' to open that doesn't involve going up a glacier.

Look how much the two resorts in the USA fight to be first to open - and they get PR that otherwise they wouldn't get..
snow conditions
Well done The Lecht Very Happy
bertie bassett, Here's me wondering whether it is worth a 6 hour round trip to drive there and back on Sunday Puzzled If they open any of the red runs I will go I think Puzzled
latest report
II wrote:
Well done The Lecht Very Happy
bertie bassett, Here's me wondering whether it is worth a 6 hour round trip to drive there and back on Sunday Puzzled If they open any of the red runs I will go I think Puzzled

I thought about it quite hard. Then thought I can't speak the language up there and said sod it and am going to middle earth instead...
snow report
WOW, how awesome!

Just back from an excellent week on the Tignes glacier to discover that the first non glacier skiing on the northern hemisphere is happening in Scotland - amazing! Shocked

Drove over to Val d'Isere on Friday afternoon and there was way less snow there!

Way ta go Scotland Toofy Grin
snow report
There are some resorts open in the US. Further research shows that the Lecht has more tows open than all of them put together can manage on man-made snow. The vertical descent seems some way short of that available at Cairngorm. See this thread from the cool people featuring a reasonable (but failed) attempt at collecting a Darwin award on the 1st day of the season (see the 2nd lot of photos, post 22) Shocked !

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=136472

Do I still hear complaints about drag lifts?
snow report
What...snow. Superb !!!!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I learnt to ski at lecht staying down in Tomintoul - lovely place. Might even have a drive up later in the season for a few days.
snow conditions
And what a day it was too. I was up at the Lecht yesterday - quality day with blanket cover. They could have had all the lifts running, but this early in the season didn't have enough time to get staff in, so could only run 4 or 5. Still - we hiked to get the untracked goods. Nice way to start off the season snowHead

Hopefully catch some of you guys up there sometime this winter.

All my photos can be seen here (there's 2 pages):
http://www.highland-instinct.co.uk/gallery/lt/winter200809/08nov01/

One of them: Heading down the Falcon, having hiked to it from the top of the chairlift
snow report
firstracks, Cool Cool Cool Cool Wish I'd been there. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
what...snow, whats scarey is the merkins seem so behind europe - no safety bar on the chairlift ? (and/or footrest) I always assumed all the litigation was overactive lawers, but with chairlifts like that maybe the operators deserve it ?
snow conditions
firstracks, great pics and it looks like the snow was deep enough to not be skiing on grass Smile
latest report
lampbus, Think there are no safety bars becuseof the overactive lawers in USA I may be wrong though
snow report
II,

Did you ski today?
ski holidays
johnboy, no, went on a nice walk though Puzzled
snow conditions
See any snow?
latest report
Just back from the Lecht - absolutely awesome day for early November - blue sky, sun, no wind, good cover.

First time I've ever been there in spite of skiing in Scotland for 30+ years. Drive up through Deeside was magical - autumn colours, snow capped peaks and mist hovering over the river.

Report here:
http://www.winterhighland.info/publicreports/index.php?21,2008-11-03
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy