Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Let's talk base layers, what have you got? Best combo?

Poster: A snowHead
innerspaceservices, If 'yer wanna be a slider' (whatever that means) I'd imagine it suffices to slide down things. There's no need to walk about with your head up your bum as well, surely.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
innerspaceservices wrote:
I wash my buff every 2 -3 days

Surely this shoud read "I wash in the buff every 2-3 days?

Me too, ideally, but I've sometimes managed to last the whole week...

Change of tack, but can I be the only one who doesn't wear a specific 'base layer' at all? Utterly useless and and the psuedo-science really does my noggin in.

Save the cash and spend it on decent boots and beer
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Change of tack, but can I be the only one who doesn't wear a specific 'base layer' at all? Utterly useless and and the psuedo-science really does my noggin in.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

They're called 'base layers' because the words 'thermal vest' aren't glamorous enough to fetch £60 a pop.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
red 27, Puzzled Base layer is as convenient an expression as any, for what you wear next to your skin. Alternatively, perhaps you ski/board in JUST a jacket and trousers? Shocked
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
red 27 wrote:
... can I be the only one who doesn't wear a specific 'base layer' at all? Utterly useless and and the psuedo-science really does my noggin in.

I find there's a huge difference in comfort between clothes that manage sweat well and clothes that don't manage sweat well. Whether that's marketing-speak or psuedo-science or real-world science isn't a concern to me, but having a damp, clamy layer next to my skin is just unpleasant.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar, agreed and, for me, an added major concern is that I much prefer not to pong! wink
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I found some really cheap thermal type base layers at Uniqlo, which they call their 'Heat Tech' range. Camis, t-shirts, long-sleeved t-shirts and polo necks range from £8 to £15. It's incredibly thin, stretchy and soft against the skin. And has thermal, wicking and anti-bac properties.

Was out and about today wearing only the cami, a thin merino jumper (they also do soft, fine merino tops from £15) and a scarf and was more than warm enough at around 8 degrees C.

Of course, the real test would be trying the combo in skiing conditions - but I have loads of Ice Breaker for that. I confess the Uniqlo stuff is my urban wear rather than ski wear. But it might suffice for some.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar, agreed and, for me, an added major concern is that I much prefer not to pong! wink

and ours Toofy Grin

rob@rar spot on Smile I like to be warm and comfortable without wearing too much. I find a baselayer and shell ok generally supplimented by a mid layer fleece if the temp. drops to ridiculous. I believe in having clothes for any conditions encountered but you dont have to wear them all the time.

I've seen people hitting the slopes wearing the same gear whatever the conditions and sometimes on warm days coming back so dehydrated and exhausted.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Nah. I just wear a T-shirt under my jacket most of the time. I've got this thin technical looking fleecy "mid-layer" thing I got about 15 years ago full of holes which I wear as well if it's cold. It's good because it folds up quite small and it's light so it fits in a pack well. Never wear anything under my sallopettes but take a pair of tracksuit bottoms with me every time, just in case. I've got some gloves I got from lost property at a dry ski slope (they'd been there for a few years).

When I first went skiing with my school, I remember having to buy thermal vests, long johns etc. and never used them so I've never bothered since.

I did spend a reasonable amount on my jacket, sallopettes and socks but everything else is cobbled together really. Smile Might have to buy some new gloves soon though - the clip to hold them together and onto a jacket has fallen off and I'm going to end up losing them.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT wrote:
kind of...but this isn't that cliquey a place. If you want to stop that, then you might as well do away with most of Apre... and that would hurt more than a few peeps post count. Plus, a lot of posters do indeed talk mostly to their 'gang'. That is more a definition of cliquey than abbreviating a few long winded resort names. If new posters can't contend with that, then god help them if they go near BZK or some such...
Arrrghhh... I keep seeing BZK on the forum but can't work out what it stands for. Please put me out of my misery Puzzled
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Zero-G, Bend Zee Knees. The bit of the forum more concerned with instruction and ski technique.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ahh. Ta rob@rar
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Zero-G, Bend ze Knees...the forum in which technique is discussed and tempers are lost, by a fairly select number of snowHeads. Never...was so much owed by so many to so few... wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I take your point red 27, at least with resorts, but the English language is the master of new words and I think 'pettes works, especially if they are furry and have a tail Cool Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hurtle wrote:

And me. Ping is good, pong is bad Laughing

I'm not sure the brand of the garments make a difference or not with regard to base layers, I mean surely a Merino top of another brand is going to be the same as an Icebreaker top of the same weight Merino Puzzled, all I know is that when I went skiing for the first time years ago and wore polo necks, t shirts etc as the layers not knowing what I do now about the cotton holding moisture against your skin and making you feel cold, like rob@rar mentioned I felt cold and uncomfortable. Then I got some Hellys as presents as I mentioned earlier from work just before a ski trip (a friend's husband was in the Army and she told me he and his collegues wore Helly all the time and they were brilliant for warm conditions or cold and they were brilliant for value and effectiveness-not really expensive either like some of them are) anyway, so I got them and never looked back since as I do find them to be excellent.

I think most thermals or whatever haven't got hype, they do what you'd expect them to do, and as far as I can see the only ones that could be seen to have hype/pseudo science or what have you are those Skins. I don't know if they do what they say they do, I haven't noticed a difference at all with the one pair I've got, I feel exactly the same muscle wise after skiing as wearing any other bases I've got Puzzled . Personally I can't see why they are worth double the price at least of the next brand of quality thermals. I think they are about £50-£60 for a top and bottoms each and you can get pretty much any other brand for at least half that for a top and bottoms each. Although as I said earlier I do know someone else who swears by them.
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, UnderArmour are cheaper than Skins and, according to my sports physio source, as good. Me, I know nothing. I have a pulled hamstring, she told me to wear them when I exercise to keep the muscles warm, so I do.
snow report
Hurtle, oh, yes, that's interesting to know then, thanks. I hadn't heard of UnderArmour before I will have a look at them. Maybe then the Skins/UnderArmour and the like work really well for people who have injuries like your pulled hamstring and they keep the muscles warm, fortunately so far <waits for an injury to happen now I'm saying this!>, I haven't had anything like that so I haven't felt the benefit of them so to speak. I don't like the seams though as I said earlier. Have the UnderArmour ones got the seams running down the back of the calves as well? I do find I can feel the seams through my socks pressing on the back of my boots and it's a bit annoying so I'm not a fan of that happening.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, no, the UnderArmour generally do not have seams on the back of the calf, but they often have flat-lock seams along the sides of the leg (what cyclists call 6-panel and 8-panel design). Think of them as Lycra running tights adapted for cold. Quite a few companies do compression base layers; just look through any triathlete mag to see Zoot, 2XU, CW-X.

Of those, only UnderArmour, Skins and CW-X do winter-adapted compression that I know of.

BTW, they should also be available in 3/4 or capri-length, so the boot is as it was before.
snow conditions
Hurtle wrote:
VolklAttivaS5, UnderArmour are cheaper than Skins and, according to my sports physio source, as good. Me, I know nothing. I have a pulled hamstring, she told me to wear them when I exercise to keep the muscles warm, so I do.

Ever tried wearing them while sitting, say on airplane flights?
snow conditions
comprex, ah thanks for that. I gathered (after I tried the full length Skins and found the seams to be irritating) that they would do 3/4 length ones as an alternative in the Skins variety but since I didn't really notice a difference (apart from the snugger fit admittedly) between them and my others it didn't merit the cost of buying more.

I will have a look at the other ones you mention though out of interest just to have a look at what they are like etc in case I change my mind and want to buy some winter compression stuff. Thanks very much for the info.
ski holidays
[quote="VolklAttivaS5"]

I'm not sure the brand of the garments make a difference or not with regard to base layers, I mean surely a Merino top of another brand is going to be the same as an Icebreaker top of the same weight Merino Puzzled

I find the Icebreaker range well thought out in terms of seams and lengths (arms, legs and tucking into bottoms) and also I think they are more versatile in terms of wearing other than just for sport, in ither words, they look OK in the bar afterwards.

Au Vieux Campeur do a good quick reference comparison between Icebreaker and the other leading brands of sports merino providers, which I would second having been into the shop to see the difference.

Not sure how to add a link to vieux campeur but if you go to their online catalogue it's easy to find.
latest report
rob@rar, VolklAttivaS5, Hurtle,

Hang on, let me understand... Your strategy is to wear the same £60 t-shirt for the whole week in an effort not to 'pong'? You guys need to stop flying Ryanair and start packing some clothes...

That said, I will admit to a liking for the full length 'compression' all in one suits, but the enjoyment for me is on a more primal level than knowing that I don't 'ming' and I normally like to complete the look with a ball gag and PVC hood.

olster, you're talking my language...
latest report
Kaiser,
Quote:

I find the Icebreaker range well thought out in terms of seams and lengths (arms, legs and tucking into bottoms) and also I think they are more versatile in terms of wearing other than just for sport, in ither words, they look OK in the bar afterwards.

Yes that is true. Mine looks very nice and has washed well since the beginning and the top is long as you say so comes down over the leggings etc. Very comfortable indeed although mine isn't as warm as the Hellys as I said earlier however that is probably more so because they are Bodyfit 200 I think rather than a higher weight Merino so it is probably not comparing like for like with the Hellys which are quite a lot thicker material by comparison. I will have a look at the Au Vieux Campeur comparison because the only Merino item I have is my Icebreaker set so I haven't seen any other garments to compare visually the quality etc. What I should have asked when I asked the question above was, (I knew the quality/seams/construction of the Icebreakers would be high because mine have washed nicely and not gone out of shape etc) was that were the same weight Merino items in other brands as warm or as effective re breathability etc as the Icebreakers or are the Icebreakers much better? Does anyone know who has got Icebreaker and cheaper Merino brands?
snow report
VolklAttivaS5, I switched to cheaper merino stuff because I didn't like the seams and fit on Icebreaker leggings.
snow report
I tried Smartwool and thought it was good but not as good and similar price to IB
The Scandie stuff whose name I forget looked super warm as is towelling type knit, but too warm for my uses and also not cheap
Howies is cheaper but not really sports orientated
And that's as far as I got before investing in another couple of tops this year.

Ultimately they last forever(ish, and if protected from the all-consuming moth) and if I buy one or two a year I can even use more than one a week!! Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

Hang on, let me understand... Your strategy is to wear the same £60 t-shirt for the whole week in an effort not to 'pong'? You guys need to stop flying Ryanair and start packing some clothes...

Who said anything about wearing the same £60 t-shirt for the whole week? Mine aren't £60 each for one thing and I wear a clean top and bottoms every day like I said earlier on in this thread I've got more than enough sets one way or another to last a week's ski holiday no problem. They are that light in weight even with 6 sets, with ski boots, ski helmet, avalanche kit, and ordinary clothes, more than one pair of jeans for the week etc etc I've never once gone over the 20kg luggage allowance the majority of carriers offer....I don't fly and never have flown Ryanair so I don't need to worry about their stingy 15kg luggage allowance.

You maybe ought to try some proper base layers and then you can compare like for like accurately with your current set up. Everyone is different, you may not notice a difference, on the other hand you might do.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
clean top and bottoms every day

Good girl - pleased to hear it!
latest report
red 27 wrote:

Laughing not quite, I have a slightly larger wardrobe than that.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rjs, ah ok, thanks. Any particular make or not? Did you find it just as good apart from the obvious advantages to you that you've mentioned?

Kaiser, thanks for your reply to my question. Do you wear the same one all week without washing it at all and if so do you find that being Merino it doesn't smell or do you not take the chance of it stinking and wash it every night anyway because it dries so quickly? Just wondered as I've never tried this option clearly Puzzled
latest report
rob@rar, if I could be so cheeky to ask, what's your base layer set up then? Do you have Icebreaker or something else? I am guessing you have a good range if your quiver is anything to go by and rightly so wink
snow report
red 27 wrote:
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
clean top and bottoms every day

Good girl - pleased to hear it!

Each to their own but it just seems a given to me to have clean on every day. Although I do know a lot of people that have a couple of sets for a week mind you and wash them every night in the sink in their room. They are dry by the morning so that's essentially the same as having clean on.
Like I say, each to their own. I was luckily enough not to have to buy every single set of mine i.e some were gifts so that was good because I should imagine it gets very expensive otherwise.
latest report
I haven't read the bickering, but fwiw Merino works the way it's supposed to. I had a fair few -30c days last year that I had to switch between day lodge and chairlift (so about +30 to -30 in the space of a couple of minutes) and didn't get all clammy and stuff. Stayed warm (ish) outside and cool (ish - down jacket indoors is never great) inside. The miracle no-stench thing is a bit overplayed though - I can prove it happily if anyone'd like to sniff my socks Very Happy
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
rob@rar, if I could be so cheeky to ask, what's your base layer set up then? Do you have Icebreaker or something else? I am guessing you have a good range if your quiver is anything to go by and rightly so wink

I've got quite a lot of stuff that I've accumulated over the years, a mix of HH, Icebreaker, Spyder, Quechua, Vist, some no-brand stuff, Lowe, Skins, maybe other stuff I can't remember. Normally whatever I can pick up in the sales. I don't really have a setup as such (rarely able to think that scientifically when I'm getting dressed in the morning!), just grab whatever is at the top of the chest of drawers. I'll always wear something non-cotton next to my skin as it helps shed sweat, and will wear anything between 0 and 4 extra layers underneath my jacket (but just one of two layers underneath pants) depending on the weather.
snow report
Quote:

The miracle no-stench thing is a bit overplayed though - I can prove it happily if anyone'd like to sniff my socks

Bickering? Laughing The no-stench Merino thing is something I did think must be more than a bit far fetched-I mean surely any top of any kind worn for a week by a bloke (or a woman wink ) working hard physically or not actually, must absolutely honk.....maybe it (Merino) honks less than other man made materials, perhaps that's what they mean, not that it doesn't stink at all. Personally I wouldn't be prepared to put it to the test, but some people you pass in a mountain restaurant/wherever else who stink I suspect that they have had their tops on longer than they should, be it an everyday t-shirt or a specialist base layer Laughing
ski holidays
rob@rar, ah sounds a bit like me then. I just take enough stuff and wear whatever comes out of the cupboard first as well. I wouldn't know the models of all my stuff, someone earlier had a very impressive memory with regards to that......normally I get the 2 for 1 deals that come up very occasionally, or buy one get one half price, there are some good deals on the more expensive stuff if you look around I find. I got a good deal on some TNF tops and leggings in the summer, it's really thin though, a lot thinner than Helly or Icebreaker, the leggings reminded me of a pair of 40 denier ladies tights actually so it will be interesting to see if it's any good this season compared to the rest Laughing we shall see.

Incidentally did you find your Skins to be any good and made a difference compared to your other brand stuff or not really that you noticed?
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Incidentally did you find your Skins to be any good and made a difference compared to your other brand stuff or not really that you noticed?

I couldn't say if they did what they claim to do, but they are comfortable enough. On one especially tiring trip I did wear the leggings every night to see if they reduced muscle fatigue, but without cutting a pair in half to do some kind of fair test it was impossible to say.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
rjs, ah ok, thanks. Any particular make or not? Did you find it just as good apart from the obvious advantages to you that you've mentioned?

Kaiser, thanks for your reply to my question. Do you wear the same one all week without washing it at all and if so do you find that being Merino it doesn't smell or do you not take the chance of it stinking and wash it every night anyway because it dries so quickly? Just wondered as I've never tried this option clearly Puzzled

I wear the same things for about half the week with no ill effects, I do 60 to 90 km a day and don't hang around, but it's a question of what you wear on top as well, so venting and removing cothes when too hot add to the efficiency of pong removal I suppose.

To me it's more a question of comfort and being client friendly in confined spaces Little Angel
ski holidays
Quote:

I wear the same things for about half the week with no ill effects, I do 60 to 90 km a day and don't hang around, but it's a question of what you wear on top as well, so venting and removing cothes when too hot add to the efficiency of pong removal I suppose.

Yes that is very true in what you said about what's on top of the base layer as well, non breathable stuff will trap smells I guess.

Quote:

To me it's more a question of comfort and being client friendly in confined spaces

Exactly. Are you a mountain guide/instructor then? Very Happy
snow report
The trouble is you're unlikely to be aware yourself just how much your kit stinks, so it's probably best to play safe and wear clean everyday. There are some seeriously humming blokes out there and it ain't nice !!! Skullie

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sun 2-11-08 23:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
I've met people who have worn the same base layers for a few days in a row, some smell some dont wink the ones that didnt not only wore merino but showered before breakfast, unlike some smelly people Smile

'Sweat dont pong', as one said, 'but dirt does' Toofy Grin
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy