Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Let's talk base layers, what have you got? Best combo?

Poster: A snowHead
Socks!! I graduated from ski tubes this year. I had some of Tchibo's ski socks this year - all properly thick where it was needed and thin where they needed to be and marked R & L!! I was very pleased with them too.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Picadilly, I'm a stockings and suspenders man myself, commando too obviously.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hey, admin, is brynje kommando available as a username?

snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, please remove that picture of me, the light is all wrong (huff)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
VolklAttivaS5, yes I wear what are meant to be thermal leggings under my ski trousers but I still get a cold bum.

red 27 wrote:
Picadilly, I'm a stockings and suspenders man myself, commando too obviously.

Excellent! You must get a cold backside as well though Laughing

Hmmm interesting range of combinations. It does sound like the Icebreaker 260 leggings are the way forward, and I'll try to find some cheap thermal knickers (oh well, we don't go skiing to look sexy!)

Will find another couple of thermal tops too but they don't need to be posh, maybe TK Maxx will have some.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Picadilly,
Quote:
VolklAttivaS5, yes I wear what are meant to be thermal leggings under my ski trousers but I still get a cold bum.

Quote:

and I'll try to find some cheap thermal knickers (oh well, we don't go skiing to look sexy!)

Yeah.....I reckon it could well be the "cotton theory" that the wise man said about that is causing your cold bum. Confused

Will be interesting for you to see if buying the thermal pants gets rid of the problem. Good luck anyway!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
comprex wrote:
Hey, admin, is brynje kommando available as a username?

I remember seeing some photos of kari traa modelling some ski underwear - now where did I save them Embarassed
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Picadilly wrote:

electric blanket?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle wrote:
bertie bassett,
Quote:

after about 18 months of sailing and skiing the hell tops just have to go in the bin

PLEASE say you don't go 18 months without washing them! Shocked Shocked Shocked

No they get washed after every trip, but cos I'm a bit liquoricy then it rubs off on the tops and after a while then can get a bit smelly - not when washed but put them on for 5 mins and it seems to come back.

Hurtle wrote:

Seriously, there's no doubt that merino is brilliantly anti-pong. Trouble is, if you wear an ordinary man-made fibre fleece on top, the pong just drifts into that instead.

Hadn't thought of that issue..

Hurtle wrote:

As regards underwear, the laydeez can refer to a thread of earlier this year, in which it was suggested that, if the price of merino knickers was thought to be too high, thongs (ordinary cotton ones) were a practical alternative for solving the soggy bottom problem. Laughing
Jockstraps here I come then (not...) that'll guarantee that I get a room to myself at the EOSB
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
comprex wrote:
Picadilly wrote:

electric blanket?

I'd thought of that, but several miles of extension cord may be a problem Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Picadilly, and I thought California king size beds were big! Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum wrote:
Socks!! I graduated from ski tubes this year. I had some of Tchibo's ski socks this year - all properly thick where it was needed and thin where they needed to be and marked R & L!! I was very pleased with them too.

I see no ones mentioned C&A knickers yet.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Picadilly, I noticed on the Tchibo link, that they had thremal leggings with fleese reinforced, knees, seat, and kidny areas, might be worth checking out. I wear an M&S thermal cami as my first layer, and it comes right down over my butt, which keeps me nice and warm. Toofy Grin

http://www.tchibo.eu/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/eu/-/GBP/TdEuDisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=ZA5Zov-DLWRZq7aIC9RTxvwb-NHLPhhCdHE=?source=NAVI&ProductSKU=M15337
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
*IncogSkiSno*, female claims of a warm bum are categorically suspect.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
comprex, well maybe mine is just well padded Toofy Grin
snow report
*IncogSkiSno*, theory accepted pending male verification of experimental results. wink
ski holidays
Got a 'trekmates' bamboo top the other day. Fantastically good but sizing all wrong (wore it today for testing porpoises), lovely and comfy, temperature excellent (wore nowt under or over - save for coat outdoors), but it's huge! Would heartily recommend but for sizing - there's no way on this earth I'm other than medium but a baggy base layer is not the way forward, or is it?

Socks, best I ever got were from kiwi - years ago via another place - I loves them socks, seriously wish I'd got more than the two pairs Sad
snow report
about 3 inches of blubber- perhaps more- works well- even lags the blood going to my heart....

natural, free, wicks moisture
ski holidays
comprex wrote:
Picadilly, and I thought California king size beds were big! Shocked Shocked

I would have folded it over Wink See I think of everything!

*IncogSkiSno* wrote:
Picadilly, I noticed on the Tchibo link, that they had thremal leggings with fleese reinforced, knees, seat, and kidny areas, might be worth checking out. I wear an M&S thermal cami as my first layer, and it comes right down over my butt, which keeps me nice and warm. Toofy Grin

http://www.tchibo.eu/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/eu/-/GBP/TdEuDisplayProductInformation-Start;sid=ZA5Zov-DLWRZq7aIC9RTxvwb-NHLPhhCdHE=?source=NAVI&ProductSKU=M15337

Cheers, I saw that! I need another couple of tops but I think I'll get the merino wool leggings. If Tchibo did the tops separately they'd be fine.
latest report
*IncogSkiSno*,

Now, that is the sort of direction this thread should be taking.........

otherwise this has been done to death Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
edsilva, blubber certainly works well - Mr L has lost about 20kg over the past two seasons, suddenly started feeling cold. We may have to get him an external thermal vest this year.
ski holidays
Legs are always fine except if I wear my shell 'pettes; body is covered with 260 weight merino and 320 weight under a softshell and then hard shell to finish - toasty down to -10 or so, add another 120 weight if colder.

Never too hot and never too cold, although unzipping and addition or removal are sometimes necessary with changing weather of course.

Asked slush and rubble's icebreaker dept for discount as I seem to recommend their stuff ad infinitum on the ski lifts when clients complain of coldness, but since I was unsuccessful, I shall recommend bin bags instead!

Toofy Grin
snow report
Icebreaker is ok but not worth this total love-fest
ski holidays
JT, agreed.
snow report
I am so warm and cosy with my combo and my new partner is being kitted out with identical gear.

- Icebreaker long sleeve crewneck 200 for warm days and 280 for cold days (i don't want another collar) don't bother with the thicker jumpers/cardigan versions of icebreaker - they are heavy and stiff/bulky...

- Icebreaker leggings or skins (skins are meant to stop muscle burn and aching muscles next day - but to be honest I am coming to the conclusion they are causing more muscle pain than ever)

- Mountain Equipment Aiguille Zip T fleece (this is the best fleece in the world - it is polartec, so fast drying and wicking - also has a lycra outer feel which windstops too - you have to handle this fleece to appreciate how flexible and light weight it is - with only short zip, you don't have another zip causing stiffness down your torso)

- Ski discovery X-Socks (tried falke and other x-socks and although the ski discovery are the basic ones - they are by far most comfortable - some ski performance types of socks are slippery in the boot and unless your boots are really tight - your foot will ride and that will rub and cause blisters and it is annoying)

- Buff - turned into a balaclava (I have the original buff it is 2/3 cotton to 1/2 fleece - i wear it under my helmet with fleece around my neck)

- Terramar Thermasilk Inner Glove (the material is like thick silk tights - thicker than the thaw version and don't ladder so easily, but more importantly you can't feel the seams like many inner liners - when i get cold hands, I slip these on and immediately my hands are warm - I have never had cold hands with these on)
snow report
innerspaceservices,
Quote:

skins (skins are meant to stop muscle burn and aching muscles next day - but to be honest I am coming to the conclusion they are causing more muscle pain than ever)

I've got a pair of those and don't wear them very often. I do find them quite comfortable, although I find them to be nowhere near as warm as the Helly Hansen Lifa base layers. Plus the seams down them I dont like but I think the seams are on there to do what they say they do on the box. I do know someone though who swears by them. I'm not really a fan I must admit, I much prefer what I've got.

Quote:

Ski discovery X-Socks (tried falke and other x-socks and although the ski discovery are the basic ones - they are by far most comfortable - some ski performance types of socks are slippery in the boot and unless your boots are really tight - your foot will ride and that will rub and cause blisters and it is annoying)

I've tried X-Socks before and they were alright, but I found the Falke ones to be much preferable to me. I must admit though, regardless of the make of sock I've never found my feet moving around as the result of the socks being slippery as you said, my feet don't move in my boots hardly at all and even when they have moved more than they do now in my old boots which were too volumous a shell for me (didn't get my old boots fitted professionally-new ones-I have done) then even then it's never given me blisters. Your feet must be moving loads to get blisters. Just a thought but are you sure your boots are the right size for you because they sound way too big to me? Puzzled

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sat 1-11-08 17:26; edited 1 time in total
snow report
innerspaceservices, oh the Buff thing with the helmet-good call I do that as well, works well.
snow report
that's something I forgot - the seams on the skins leggings are prickly, that's another reason for not getting along with them.

and I forgot to say I wear Northface - bra and panties. they are seamless and the bra straps don't fall down off my shoulders.

I found the falke socks too long in the calve, they were well up over my knees and also loose - so were falling down and rucking in my boot. i am a size 6 female and gave my falkes to my partner - size 10 male and they fit him. I know you might ask if I bought the right size - there were menna be my size, so dunno wot is going on there....

but.... I have dozens of pairs of identical falke walking socks and love them to bits - won't wear nothing else on my feet.

I wash my buff every 2 -3 days because of several reasons -
- suntan lotion
- lipsyl
- sweat
- from breathing into the face part
- smelly!!!!!
- nice fragrance when putting it on nice and clean again

and I take a bottle of that fragrant disinfectant with me for washing my clothes - lets face it, you are gonna be washing your stuff in the bathroom by hand and when you sweat - you are effectively weeing on your clothes - you need to get that bacteria out.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
innerspaceservices, yeah Falke sports bras are good as well.
Quote:

I found the falke socks too long in the calve, they were well up over my knees and also loose - so were falling down and rucking in my boot. i am a size 6 female and gave my falkes to my partner - size 10 male and they fit him. I know you might ask if I bought the right size - there were menna be my size, so dunno wot is going on there....

How weird! I'm a size 5.5 to 6 as well, so just yesterday actually I bought some more Falke socks euro size 39-40 and there is no way I could get them up past my knee-they stop well, where you'd expect them to stop. Also not loose at all, they stay up all day even after washing them time and time again. I reckon you had a Friday afternoon pair of Falke socks there Laughing there's no way a size 10 footed man would get my socks on Laughing No way! Laughing Well, maybe if they wore them as ankle socks Laughing

I know what you mean about the Buff-I've got 2 exactly the same so I swap around mid week or something. Amazing to think some people must get home from a skiing holiday and wash their socks and stuff etc (that's a given-hopefully! Laughing ) but they don't wash Buff's/Balaclavas and just put it away until next time! I can't imagine not doing that for the reasons you have stated above-eww! Shocked
latest report
Icebreaker or Trekmates merino wool base layer. Falke socks (I'm only 5 ft 1 and they aren't too long for me). Decathlon fleece midlayer. Extra fleece (Trespass windproof) if it i really cold (but not since I bought my merino wool) , buff, Goretex gloves, ski jacket by Ripcurl, sallies by North Face. Hat by SnowHeads.
snow conditions
JT, comprex, I'm a convert to merino - for walking as well as skiing - but I don't care about the make, so long as it's a nice fit. Is there something other than Icebreaker - cheaper? - that you can recommend?
snow conditions
Quote:

shell 'pettes

Trousers, pants, salopettes. But 'pettes? Please. rolling eyes

Note: random abbreviations do NOT make you look like a cool member of the in crowd. See also 'Val', 'Courch' and 'Cham'.
ski holidays
Lizzard, salopes wouldn't be too clever an abbreviation in France either! wink
ski holidays
Hurtle, but much funnier. And likely to get the perpetrator what he deserves as well! Laughing
snow report
Lizzard wrote:
Trousers, pants, salopettes. But 'pettes? Please. rolling eyes

Note: random abbreviations do NOT make you look like a cool member of the in crowd. See also 'Val', 'Courch' and 'Cham'.

Oh no Liz not 'Pants'... Never, ever
snow conditions
red 27, pantaloons?
ski holidays
Lizzard, Better. Kinky, victorian...
snow conditions
Lizzard, I agree wboleheartedly
And please can we get rid of VT, L2A, ValD and all similar abbreviations.
Lots of novice skiers arrive at this forum looking for information. They should be welcomed.
Abbreviations suggest exclusiveness and cliques. They are not friendly and not helpful.
latest report
Hurtle,

I have some but never have to wear them...they stay in the pack for an emergency warmth layer...
I can get by with 3 layers for most days down to about -15, -20 or so...

Jonpim, kind of...but this isn't that cliquey a place. If you want to stop that, then you might as well do away with most of Apre... and that would hurt more than a few peeps post count. Plus, a lot of posters do indeed talk mostly to their 'gang'. That is more a definition of cliquey than abbreviating a few long winded resort names. If new posters can't contend with that, then god help them if they go near BZK or some such

This is a community and they are welcomed generally and it is very helpful...I can't see a few resort abbreviations undoing that stance. IMV
ski holidays
I find it an amusing challenge - if yer wanna be a slider, then yer gonna ave to get into the lingo....

it's friendly and a laugh on this forum - not cliquey at all
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy