Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Let's talk base layers, what have you got? Best combo?

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

but showered before breakfast, unlike some smelly people

Bones, I think this may well be the key regardless of if it's made of Merino or not Toofy Grin Laughing, maybe not a shower/bath every morning as well as a shower/bath every evening before dinner (I'm one for both actually-but each to their own) but at least a good wash in the morning of some kind, not just swung their legs out of bed and got dressed Shocked wink

I bet the ones that smelt probably had reeking boots as well, not that you would have got close enough to smell 'em no doubt.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
VolklAttivaS5,

I ski with the guests of the company I work for, don't think guide, think friendly companion who knows the area and bars Toofy Grin

But seriously, out there all day every day and tips don't go to smelly people! Smile
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kaiser, ah I wondered if you might have been a mountain guide or instructor. Ski host then? Either way you are right, guests do not like smelly ski hosts. Even though some of them might stink themselves.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I like the ones who offer their flasks at every lift when it's cold!

Actually, I generally like them all. Anyone who likes skiing can't be all bad. By all means if anyone's in Tignes this year drop a line and come skiing for a day if you likey snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kaiser, well yes if they stink it doesn't mean you don't have to like them. Very Happy They are probably very nice to you anyway if you are showing them all the good places to ski and to be fair you'd only smell them in the lifts if applicable at the most Laughing wink Who do you work for?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
UnderArmour leggings (with seams as described by comprex - and no I haven't worn them on planes, though I'm sure they'd be just as good as flight socks) get washed every night, ditto silk vest. If I wear a merino top (either next to the skin, or above the silk) I alternate two of them during a week, so each one airs thoroughly for a night, a day and another night before being re-worn. Thus, during a week, each will be worn three times: I have a very acute sense of smell and they are definitely not smelly at the end of a week. Most man-made fibres stink by lunchtime on the first day of wearing. However, as I've mentioned on another thread, if your base layer wicks well, it stands to reason that the sweat will deposit its odour into the next layer up, if that's made of man-made fibre. And how many of you wash that mid-layer fleece every night, I wonder? Not me, but again I can usually last a week by alternating two of them, and airing the unworn one thoroughly.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

However, as I've mentioned on another thread, if your base layer wicks well, it stands to reason that the sweat will deposit its odour into the next layer up, if that's made of man-made fibre.

This is very true. I don't wear the same mid layer fleece all week either for this very reason and like you have 3 or 4 mid layers for the week so they get an airing each.

Quote:

Thus, during a week, each will be worn three times: I have a very acute sense of smell and they are definitely not smelly at the end of a week.

I can see where you're coming from there and what you have described there definitely is not the same as wearing one top every day all day for a week without washing it.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 3-11-08 12:27; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hurtle wrote:
However, as I've mentioned on another thread, if your base layer wicks well, it stands to reason that the sweat will deposit its odour into the next layer up, .

Ooh, now, you could have a point there Confused
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If merino is anti-pong, why do sheep reek?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
VolklAttivaS5, I am not sure we are supposed to say, but it's a Doncaster based company which has chalets in the Tarentaise

comprex
snowHead
If merino is anti-pong, why do sheep reek?

Because they don't wipe their bottoms Toofy Grin
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
comprex, dunno. Next question.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
*IncogSkiSno*,

that's why you should have a clean one evry day..... it one thing to overpower a layer on any given day, but to compund it with old sweat is not necessary, I don't think...most of the time...
To carry 4 days worth a of stuff for this use, and then wash isn't beyond most of us, is it...?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Would this do as a base layer underneath a wicking t-shirt and top, then jacket?

http://www.skimarket.co.uk/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=449

I also have a pair of silk underwear (shorts and short sleeved t-shirt) - would this do instead of having to buy this product. I don't really want to spend money unless I have to!

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 3-11-08 10:37; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
jb1970 wrote:
Would this do as a base layer underneath a wicking t-shirt and top, then jacket?

Yes, although you'd probably want to avoid tucking the bottom of the leggings inside your boots.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jb1970, I seem to remember from another thread that you are already wearing your entire wardrobe under your jacket - any more and you won't be able to move your arms.
ski holidays
Kaiser,
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5, I am not sure we are supposed to say, but it's a Doncaster based company which has chalets in the Tarentaise

It's ok, I know who it is. They have got a good write up on Snowheads. Very Happy
snow report
Quote:

To carry 4 days worth a of stuff for this use, and then wash isn't beyond most of us, is it...?

Last skiing holiday I went on, after I'd packed my boots, other skiing equipment and camera I had 3kgs left for all my clothes...

I'm going by train this year.
snow report
olster, Shocked Puzzled are you talking Ryanair allowance of naff all or are you talking 20kg allowance as per most other airlines? In my post earlier on I said I've never gone over the 20kg allowance, and that's with boots in there (e.g with Easyjet who don't like boot bags), avalanche shovel, probe, transceiver etc which doesn't weigh very much anyway, camera, about 4 pairs of jeans, enough tops and clothes for wearing in the evenings something clean on every night, 6 base layers for a week, about 4 mid layers/fleeces, etc everything else I need, make up, toiletries, gloves, hats, ski helmet, goggles, even some other shoes, I even pack my ski jacket in there so I'm not one of these people that takes a massive piece of hand luggage onto the plane either with most of their stuff in there instead of the hold bag. In my rucksack for the plane I just have my passport, ipod and a magazine or book to read, I can't be doing with lugging a big piece of hand luggage everywhere as well so I don't.

Having 6 base layers in there instead of 1 makes no difference to me, they are so light per garment (like the weight of a pair of ladies tights if you are familiar with the weight of those on occasion-I don't know) so 6 lots of that is hardly anything IMV, 4 lots of them as per JT's comment-well that's even less weight.

For a fortnight's ski trip mind I had to go to the laundrette mid holiday and wash it all, I couldn't have got enough in my bag for a fortnight, although I probably could have done easily had I chosen to wheel on a monster of a hand luggage case with loads of stuff in like some people do.

I can't see where you're going wrong, maybe your cotton everyday stuff weighs heavier or something. Puzzled Could be as well (assuming you are a male) that women's stuff like tops and that are much lighter than say men's shirts for the evenings and things. That's a possibility. Could be that your bag/suitcase weighs a lot to start with as well perhaps.
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
olster, Could be that your bag/suitcase weighs a lot to start with as well perhaps.

It is amazing how much some of these bags weigh, especially the wheeled versions. I spent ages trying to find a lightweight but sturdy bag and I am sure I have probably gained approx 3 - 5 KGs in doing so, compared to say a DaKine split roller for example.
snow conditions
*IncogSkiSno* wrote:
. I spent ages trying to find a lightweight but sturdy bag and I am sure I have probably gained approx 3 - 5 KGs in doing so,

Ah, interwebs searching instead of proper running around. Tsk, tsk.
snow conditions
comprex, no. proper running around searching, picking up the bags to see which were heavier NehNeh NehNeh
latest report
comprex, haha - just got your joke Laughing Laughing Embarassed
snow report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Each to their own but it just seems a given to me to have clean on every day.

Ah, I will never make a mountaineer of you V. Hot spell in Chaominx this july, 3 day expedition... day 1. Hike/climb 900m up from the Montenvers station to the Cabin L'envers. Day 2. crampons on to hike up the Aiguille de la Bastillierre, climb it, and return to the hut. Day 3 stagger back down to the Train station... You are allowed a 40 litre rucksack and there are no washing facilities at the hut... Let's put it this way, I got a seat on the train back down! spoo

Weekend skiing is another issue... RyanAir have a lot of 'honking' to answer for with their 12kg baggage limit. Friend of mine (a closet snowHead ) prides himself on going for a 4 day weekend with only hand luggage with the inevitable consequence that he seems to undercater on the 'base layer' front... Oh Dear...
latest report
VolklAttivaS5, Heavy camera. Sad I like to think of myself as a bit of a photographer (although if I'm honest, I'm not) - my camera kit weighs around 8kgs and that's leaving the tripod and lots of other stuff.

Suitcase isn't too heavy - it is wheeled but it's a soft case. My skis weigh 12.5kgs on their own with no bag, poles etc so I don't get away with packing stuff in my ski bag, just enough to pad it (couple of fleeces and a towel). Last time I got away with extra weight by packing stuff in my OH's suitcase but I'm going on my own this year, hence the train. The extra two days skiing helped swing it as well. Wink
ski holidays
olster,
Quote:

VolklAttivaS5, Heavy camera. I like to think of myself as a bit of a photographer (although if I'm honest, I'm not) - my camera kit weighs around 8kgs and that's leaving the tripod and lots of other stuff.

Well, er, that will be it then. wink

red 27, well yes, if I was going ski touring and carrying my rucksack on my back with everything in it for a few days or a week then, yeah sure, I'd have to probably wear one set of thermals only or maybe just take 2 sets. In that situation I'd probably have to choose the Icebreakers to reduce the chances of stinking compared to the other brands I guess.....besides a tour is different anyway because everyone is in the same boat with having to take a very limited amount of clean clothes, so everyone in the huts probably stink. Laughing On a ski holiday when there is ample hot water for washing/showering and ample opportunity to take more than a couple of pairs of thermals (as I said above-they weigh so little it makes hardly any difference if it's 2 pairs or 6 pairs IMV) then there is no excuse for stinking is there....for anyone.

I don't think a ski tour is something I would be going for at this present moment in time. Only time will tell though, time will tell.

Quote:

Weekend skiing is another issue... RyanAir have a lot of 'honking' to answer for with their 12kg baggage limit. Friend of mine (a closet ) prides himself on going for a 4 day weekend with only hand luggage with the inevitable consequence that he seems to undercater on the 'base layer' front... Oh Dear...

Nice. Still can't understand why he can't get 4 pairs of thermals in his monster hand luggage case instead of just 1, I mean they weigh next to nothing anyway. Could it perhaps be that it's more like he doesn't own more than one pair, or maybe he has 2 pairs. Toofy Grin

To be absolutely fair mind you, it can get expensive for people to have loads and loads of sets, it can sure add up, however the Helly Hansens are quite good value compared to some brands which are much more expensive than them. I have accumulated stuff over time like rob@rar has done and personally I think if you buy them in the sales and on buy one get one half price and such sales deals instead of marching into Snow and Rock and paying full price for the absolute lot wink then overall, it's not a huge amount of money spent compared to the cost of skiing as a hobby in the grand scheme of things when you look at it like that. Very Happy

Especially as it's like a one off purchase pretty much to last you many seasons, a bit like a pair of brand new ski boots or new skis really. Personally I find it well worth the money to feel comfortable, not get cold etc etc. I don't expect I'll ever have to buy any more, I don't think moths like Hellys. Perhaps someone could advise Laughing wink
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, My hand luggage friend is iredeemable... A 'bloke' in the very worst sense.

Take you point about tours, and of course you're right, B.O. is like smoking, you only notice the stench on others...

I do actually own a 'pro' base layer, a North Face skin tight compression thing that is designed to absorb this that and t'other... wore it it chamonix - still minged like a park bench wino after 3 days Embarassed

Tell you what, try your Insipid to Ski course with just the one 'set' and I'll walk roud Hereford at xmas and see if I can find you with my eyes closed wink
latest report
red 27,
Quote:

Tell you what, try your Insipid to Ski course with just the one 'set' and I'll walk roud Hereford at xmas and see if I can find you with my eyes closed

They are quite the opposite of insipid actually since you mention it. Little Angel

You will be wandering around a very long time indeed because I won't be in the city of Hereford for Christmas. You might find one or two tramps though that might smell a bit. There are very few tramps in Hereford from what I've seen, hardly any compared to some cities, which is a good thing I suppose.

Quote:

I do actually own a 'pro' base layer, a North Face skin tight compression thing

I just knew that during your 100 years was it? of skiing plateau you were bound to have tried and possibly bought a "proper" base layer at some point. I knew your claim of skiing in just your jacket and a string vest or whatever it was could not have been entirely true. Little Angel
snow conditions
VolklAttivaS5, you see straight through me... Perhaps one day a perfectly groomed sweet smelling young lady will zoom past me as I make my workmanlike way down yet another red run, and I'll admire your perfect , nay Inspired, ski technique and softly sigh...

Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
red 27,

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
red 27,
Quote:

Perhaps one day a perfectly groomed sweet smelling young lady will zoom past me as I make my workmanlike way down yet another red run, and I'll admire your perfect , nay Inspired, ski technique and softly sigh...

Well it could be anyone that matches that description, there seems to be a fair few people that are in favour of the clean base layers daily thing on this thread and elsewhere. Little Angel

Besides, I ain't that good. Yet. Little Angel

*IncogSkiSno*, Laughing
snow conditions
i'm pretty worried about our weight limit - we normaly struggle on a summer holiday with suntops and swimwear!

is it possible to take a boot bag on as hand luggage as that would save quite a few kilos??
latest report
blueberry, There has been a lot of discussion about that.

It depnds on both the airport and the carrier.

Some airports have a stated policy that ski boots are not allowed in hand liggage (e.g. Bristol). Others will allow them, but then some airlines won't.

You could always try wearing them Smile
ski holidays
[quote="alex_heney"]blueberry, There has been a lot of discussion about that.

sorry, still getting to find my way around here
is there some other threads i should look at somewhere else?
snow report
alex_heney wrote:
You could always try wearing them Smile
It's been done, although I think they were touring boots not full alpine kit.
snow conditions
Quote:

It's been done, although I think they were touring boots not full alpine kit.

Gawd! I remember that thread! I think that example, forget who it was now, was wearing them for fear of them getting lost if the main hold bag went missing or something like that I think rather than the boots taking them over the luggage allowance.

As far as I know, you can't take a boot bag onto the plane as hand luggage, they will expect you to check them in with your skis (if applicable). If you have your boots in your rucksack then yes, some airlines and some airports say no, you can't take them on like that, and you will be expected to either put them in a proper boot bag and check them in, or put them in your hold luggage. I cannot see why you would be worried about the luggage allowance unless your flying with Ryanair. If you have a look back at this thread and see what I pack in my bag for a week including boots, more than enough clean clothes etc and I've never once gone over the luggage allowance, so it can be done easily.
latest report
i'm just no good at packing light.
i like to have at least two books to read over a week, then there's the kids handwarmers, puzzles and games, and 5 different types of socks and thermals as i can't decide what i like best, millions of gloves as they get soaked snowballing and take forever to dry......

a good reason never to fly with ryanair.
and i think i'll look to get a lighter suitcase too
ski holidays
blueberry, ah, you've got a family. Well yes that makes things more difficult. Can't you put the books, puzzles etc in your hand luggage for each of you leaving your hold luggage for relevant skiing stuff/clothing? You could always ask on a thread how other people with kids manage and how they best use the luggage allowances. I couldn't tell you because I'm single so I have only got me to worry about!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy