Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I hate Les Gets

Poster: A snowHead
I gets it now - and so does Les.

Thanks guys - another of life's little mysteries cleared up! snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
'Ay'? Eh? That peculiarly Cockney diphthong which instantly identifies the Brit in France. The vowel sound you're looking for, laundryman, approximates to that in "dead" or "fed".
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hurtle Toofy Grin
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
What is a 'get' anyway?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I hate Les Dennis.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Hurtle, .. as opposed to those Brits who are instantly recognisable by trying to sound 'Parisien' and make those of us who live here 'puke' (as-in-pewk) as they just 'could never be' French ... eh?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
laundryman, I have no idea ... a local friend did explain once but it was that memorable I forgot .. rolling eyes ...doh; Ill ask the good lady if she remembers but one of the folks here will know as they live there ...
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agenterre, nothing if not predictable! Laughing
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hurtle, .. yawn ... rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre, thanks. I'd like to know what a 'contamine' is too. It sounds thoroughly unpleasant!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman, Gosh .. one I do know!

Apparently means 'Commune' or ' People getting together' .. Latin derivative allegedly ( what would I know) .. ps , it was a Snowhead who told me that one!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman wrote:
Agenterre, (or anyone) how is 'Les Gets' pronounced, as a matter of interest?

I did a course in Les Gets last season. Beforehand I was complaining to my partner that I didn't know who the course would be led by. She spotted the course confirmation on my desk and said that it has been confirmed and it was being run by Les Gets, pronouncing it as if was Mr. Les Gets (with a hard G). She couldn't understand why I laughed so hard Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agenterre wrote:
Hurtle, .. as opposed to those Brits who are instantly recognisable by trying to sound 'Parisien' and make those of us who live here 'puke' (as-in-pewk) as they just 'could never be' French ... eh?

After a summer spent as a diving bum on the Cote d'Azur back in the mid-Nineties, I found myself having one of those awesome late night conversations on the beach with a guy who I'd seen out at clubs all summer but never had spent much time talking directly to. I'd been speaking only French for about three months, but was still woefully aware of how lacking I was - there was only so much that my grasp of Calaisien slang (taught by my French exchange partner) could cover up. So imagine my delight when my new friend told me "hey, I know your secret", but instead of following up with "you're English", he said "t'es Lyonnais, non?"

I still don't know whether to be proud of him thinking I was French, or ashamed that what he essentially said was "your Geordie accent is so bad I thought you were a Brummie"...

NehNeh
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
FastEddie, LMAO ...

I went in to see my bank manager several years ago on a very hot day and was becoming increasingly frustrated by the number of forms that I had to sign to achieve something menial which could have been done in the UK over the phone even then. My French is atrocious for someone who spends so much time here here but I've 'absorbed' a lot of colloquialisms and a touch of the 'Provencale' ( as in gutter-type) intonation.

As I become increasingly annoyed with form 7,359 I kept saying 'wai'.. 'wai' ( as in slang 'Oui'). The lady manager turned on me and dismissively pointed out that 'Her Bank' didnt have any low-life amongst her clientele and that 'Decent people' always said 'Wee'. So taken aback and put in my place that I've never moved bank, but do enjoy going in looking like a tramp in shorts and flip-flops and using my strongest provencale accent!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
laundryman, Les Gets dates back to the 11th century and the name Gets comes from the ancient French word "jets" – meaning the gaps in the trees down which wood was brought. I read that on some website but can't quite work out which one.
snow conditions
Agenterre, I trust that you flatten all your 'a's as well, to ensure that the message really gets across that you're an Occitan oik Wink

"je peux trAnsferrer mon argAnt, ouais?"
snow report
rob@rar, Laughing best not let her read that!

Agenterre, garyscott20, thanks!
ski holidays
FastEddie, Shocked I thought that was normal Toofy Grin
snow report
Quote:

trust that you flatten all your 'a's as well

I don't really like a flat aah's or even a fat one Confused
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy