Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Riding switch

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,
i'v had about 5 weeks on snow and feel confident and carving pretty well, popping some ollies n nollies but wanna start doing some more grond tricks involving 180's so im assuming my next step is to learn to ride switch, im currently riding duck stance 15 12, to ride switch do i need to be 15 15 or 12 12 or is it a case of whatever feels comfortable???? also any advice on learning to ride switch????
Cheers Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
romeowner, just point your tail down the hill and do everything you do when riding normally . . . just on the other leg. That's pretty much it Twisted Evil
You foot angles are so similar that it should be a negligible difference in technique but you could position your mounting so that you're central - front to aft - on your board (that will depend a bit on your board) Spend a day doing nothing but trying to ride switch. Start gently and concentrate on getting the technique right before looking to blast the hill.
At some point during the day a mental switch (pun intended) will click over and it'll feel right stay switch for a little longer to ingrain muscle memory. Good luck Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I ride more switch than normal, it's just practise, and more practise. A true twin helps with a centred stance, directional boards can be ridden switch but why make things difficult?
Angles are whatever feels comfortable, there are no rules.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok cheers guys im of to Tignes 1st Dec to get some practice in Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I can go in a straight line switch, but when i turn i fall flat on my face Embarassed
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Never tried....

but I will between the 14 and 18 of January 2009 in Meribel!!! snowHead Cool

Soooo excited! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

I ride more switch than normal

Surely then your "switch" becomes your "normal" doesn't it Puzzled
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you got any mates in the group that are learning and you want to spend a couple of hours hanging with them and giving them some pointers, then I find riding switch is one of those things that works quite well. You tend to go more slowly and fall over more which puts you right into their group... haven't mastered lifts switch yet, might leave that for this season..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
the ice perv wrote:
Quote:

I ride more switch than normal

Surely then your "switch" becomes your "normal" doesn't it Puzzled

I'm stronger normal with the jumping at speed, piste riding /off piste makes absolutely no difference switch or normal. I used to skateboard regular for a few years then swapped to goofy because I pushed like a spazz.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
spend a holiday with beginners on the corduroy and soon switch riding for day levels everyone out. i found that half way thru the morning it all felt good and then switch and regular are interchangeable.. Mega advantage when on long traverse at end of day when legs are knackered to go from heel to toe and vice versa!!!!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
empinky, agreed, last season I had to work on switch and one day a mate decided to learn to board so I followed him around switch. I'm still a lot weaker but at least I can ride down a blue. It definitely helps stopping calf burn on long flats if you can swap edge.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
what are these boards you speak of?

this duck you want to switch- what was wrong with the first one?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
edsilva, switch has sometimes been called goofy a duck just like in disney for you. the board is meerly a plank of wood some lesser mortals will need two to slide downhill. meerly in jest from a skiing boarder
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
edsilva, get out of the snowboarding section, fool. Go and play in the bendy knees bit with the old farts. Razz
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Lizzard, lol Very Happy
snow conditions
Lizzard, Laughing
snow conditions
edsilva, grow old disgracefully, have a go on a board Cool
latest report
To improve getting your weight onto the front of the board, lean towards the nose of the board (the switch nose?? Puzzled ). Feel how your boot presses on the outside of your (now) front foot? Then to turn move your weight towards the heel or toe edge and keep that leg pressing against the top of the boot (think, pressure going straight is at 12 o'clock direction, turning left is 10 o'clock, turning right is 2 o'clock). This is what is happening when you ride usual foot forward, it's just that you don't notice it any more! - of course this only applies to the groomers Smile
ski holidays
Sub4 wrote:
- of course this only applies to the groomers Smile

Ahhhh yes . . the first time I slid switch, off the piste and into the soft stuff the nose(tail) submarined straight into a stump and I bust a rib on its neighbour Confused

Riding switch is just practice, practice, practice to get past that mental block that tells your head 'it's not right'. A lot of us will never overcome a slight feeling of 'unease' when riding the back foot . . but its JUST practice.
ski holidays
just a quick note on Sub4 post. There is no leaning in snowboarding. Its all about shifting weight, primarily through hip placement whether it be toward the nose, tail or edges of your board. Leaning is definitley not the terminilogy you want to utilize when explaining or training others. Not trying to pick on you sub4, its just that telling someone to lean usually translates into them hunching over at the waist or awkwardly positioning their body too far forward (fore) or back (aft).

As to the original question about the angle of feet in a duck stance, its just like most things in snowboarding...if its efficient and effective and your balance is on-point, it doesn't matter what angle your feet are riding regular or switch. If you are ducked, it allows for more effective transitions riding switch and ultimately takes alot of stress off your knees. As has been pointed out, the mechanics are the same it just takes committment and practice to become a good switch rider. If you're really serious about learning, approach your switch session as if you were re-learning everything from scratch. Pay attention to your reference alignments (shoulders square with tip/tail, board aligned with terrain, shoulders/hips/knees/ankles moving in synche and toward the desired contact point with the edge on the snow), keep it slow, be conscious of how and when your body works in a cause-effect relationship (e.g. at what point do you begin initiating edge pressure to transfer from heel to toe, are my knees flexed enough, etc.) and definitely keep your head up and looking where you want to go. If you look down at your feet, odds are you'll get a closer look at the ground than you wanted to.
ski holidays
Yep, practice, practice. Tough when your not used to falling over, and like me just been riding one way around for 10 years or so - wish I just got it nailed early on.

Been told before that a good way to learn switch is to do it whilst you are helping teach a mate how to board, so you are therefore forced to be patient and not tear off down the slope facing the way you're comfy with! And as you're pretending you're an instructor you are reminding yourself those tips you picked up yourself at some point from your mate/or instructor and then trying to apply them when everything just feels totally backward. I've tried this though but normally get bored after 10 minutes and go back to what am comfy with - hence why haven't improved in years and can only ride about 2 meters if I land switch (or do a kind of land/turn around quick as landing thing)... so i'm bad example.
snow conditions
InTheTrees, welcome to snowHead s!
ski holidays
peakseason wrote:
just a quick note on Sub4 post. There is no leaning in snowboarding. Its all about shifting weight, primarily through hip placement whether it be toward the nose, tail or edges of your board. Leaning is definitley not the terminilogy you want to utilize when explaining or training others. Not trying to pick on you sub4, its just that telling someone to lean usually translates into them hunching over at the waist or awkwardly positioning their body too far forward (fore) or back (aft).

Sorry to hijack and talk about skiing, but I had this exact conversation with my Dad. He had it explained to him as 'lean down the slope', which meant that he kept falling over. I re-described it to him in terms of weight shifting, and hip projection, and I think he had an AHA moment.

So: good point that man!

Just to drag slightly back on topic then, I've been quite determined to follow the advice elsewhere on this board, and try riding both ways right from the start. I've now done a total of only 9 hours boarding and have already succesfully linked turns both normal and switch! Cool
snow conditions
Hi, please don't laugh me off the page, or feel the use of violence is neccessary, but I've always been a bit confused about angles and all that technical stuff. I've been riding for about 3 years now, a full week every year and then 1-3 days a year up in the highlands and I always use hire stuff, never got around to investing in my own stuff although seriously considering it this year (guess that's a topic for another post!) but I always get the hire stuff set up as left food forward, so would you have to get it set as goofy to be able to ride switch?
snow conditions
Cool. Yep, defo get switch sorted as early on as you can in boarding lifetime, or you become stuck in a rut!

Yeah, Im a newie to snowHead and it's quite worrying to see how easy it is to spend time here! Only just worked out what these terms mean under peoples names 'hors piste', 'snow head', 'mega snowhead etc' ! Wow, not sure i've that much to say, but something tells me this is a slippery slope now....
snow conditions
Someone more qualified than me will reply to that no doubt jcat, but setting it up as goofy to ride switch isn't really the point... although that might help to learn and get used to riding other way around.

The best is that you set up with a stance so that you can ride either way around (some people like duck stance, others 0 angles etc), depends if you do loads of half pipe stuff.

If just a normal ish rider, then get the shop (or you) to set it up quite neutral angles and take it from there.

It's worth investing 10 quid of so in a tool and go out and test loads of different angles... you'll then work out what works for you. Waffling on about 'steep angles. 15 degrees this and that' prob will go in one ear and out the other i guess!

oh god, it's too addictive this blog malarky, back to work...
snow report
I've rented a board before set up regular just to ride switch but you dont need to, I just couldnt be bothered to swap the bindings around. As long as your + on the front and - on the back you're good to go. Obviously if you're set up setback for powder then switch is a pain as your what was short tail is now the short nose.
Renters from me get +18 -3 or -6 as I said before.
latest report
InTheTrees, welcome to snowHead snowHead , always good to have another darkslider around.

jcat, as stab says you don't need to but there's no harm in swapping it round for a couple of hours. I found going duck (from a very forwards stance) helped most of all:I was +15/+12 now I'm+15/-6.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
InTheTrees, jcat, Hi Newbies snowHead
ski holidays
Swirly, +15/-6 is definitely the way I've found most comfy. What was it like riding switch with the ultra-forwards stance? Quite tough, I'm imagining?

stab, rode switch in deep powder a couple of times last year on a very long-nosed board... short periods of switch, invariably followed by long periods of digging Embarassed

edit to add: hi jcat, welcome aboard! InTheTrees, you have no idea how addictive - "once you start down the path of the darkside..." wink

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 12-11-08 18:28; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
snojito, I didn't Laughing no it was very hard and one of the main reasons I changed. Carvings more effort now not helped by my board being much fatter than the old one but tbh I can't be bothered to properly carve it most of the time anyway.
snow report
snojito, I'm setup centred on a true twin so it's not easy regular or switch, but at least it's equally not easy Laughing People cruise past me while I'm hanging over the tail trying to keep the nose up, steeper is easier. I could change it but proper powder days are few and far between whereas boiler plate rock hard piste days are plentifull.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy