Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Daypack Q

Poster: A snowHead
OK, so a search has revealed several threads on packs but none seem to answer the question that I have. I would like a day pack that can take avy gear, shovel/probe/pulse, camelback bladder and maybe a light snack so 20l in size. The Dakine Heli Pro model seems an obvious choice however it does not offer vertical ski carry. In your opinions what is the best carry method? Only 3 options as far as I am aware, crossed,individual vert or paired in diagonal vert with a wire system. Also bearing in mind the ski's I will be using will be up to around 13.6 under boot and over 180 in length (dont know skis this size fit all bags).

Basically Im looking for a bag suggestion that can take my gear and allow say an hours hiking in comfort i.e. well balanced and not too obtrusive. Budget wise no more than £60 but I guess I could push if the bag is amazing and very durable.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think the Heli pro ll is as good as any for a day pack. You can A-frame them which would be akin to your individual vertical arrangement for skis and I have never wanted to do anything else. The bag has good padding and a decent size, 26 ltrs I believe, so should be plenty big enough.

Others I have liked the look of have been the Ospery line but people have disliked the way they sit off the back due to the venting design.. as it may push the weight a bit too far back when loaded with skis.. Can't say I have used these though, but a decent looking spec, anyway.

The other difference I noticed with wearing a pack is that they can alter the way your body controls heat and cooling. This is probably down to personal preference and how close a fit you have. For example I can wear a paklite XCR jacket (very lightweight) in some pretty nasty weather and it is fine..but without a pack on a modest day and I'm a bit chilly to start with... Just a thougt..!!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't know if your skis will fit the heli pro with the diagonal carry. Mine are 92 under food and with a full bag it is a bit of a struggle. Not had any experience of the A-frame type carry but the diagonal one on the heli-pro doesn't feel so stable/comfy especially not on bootpacks over a half hour.

What are the skis, Praxis pow? Moment Comi's?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
'A frame' thats the term I was looking for. The Heli pro 2 seems to fit the bill then, thanks JT!

Well ski wise I actually have'nt bought any yet but I also wont have a chance to test any. I have only used one pair of big skis which were Amplid Teddy Bares, I enjoyed them but found them too heavy (the infrablacks a little expensive but soo much lighter) I also felt that although they were great for drops and big faces they werent responsive enough in tighter lines. I plan on going for Volkl Katanas which are 111 under foot and I would probably ski these in a 190. Any other suggestions ski wise?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I heard the Katanas are like big Mantras. I love the Mantras so they appeal to me. Depends what you are using em for.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I should never need to hike for much more than an hour and would use them for heavy powder days only where piste is used just to link further powder runs, I am not too big on freestyle I just like some decent air and drop offs. Although if the Mantra is good for park duties as well it may appeal to me, as well as the Gotama for that little bit more versatility hmmm...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
K.Mac,

Check out G3 for the lighter smaller ski...
Look at Movement Goliaths...

I fancy the Sluffs for Europe.

The 96mm Mantra turns really easily in trees and deeper snow so if it handles the harder stuff you have a very good european ski.

Reading between the lines of Mike Pow's posts, then something 100-110 sounds just the ticket for days off wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
g3 El Hombre... very light, fun ski. Feels good in the air Wink
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ill check them out! Do you know any UK retailers who stock them and are good to use?

Just looked into the Dakine Heli Pro 2 and it didnt seem to use A frame for ski carrying, think Ill go for a pack that uses the iron cross type system should be good for balance if a bit awkward if there are other around you! Maybe just the regular helipack in either the 16 or 20l version.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
K.Mac,

http://www.movementskis.com/pages/index_products.html talk to http://www.noblecustom.co.uk/ they did well for me..

or http://www.genuineguidegear.com/g3_skis.html?s=gaw&r-anz&c=skis my friend teles on these and loves them
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK so Ive found some Amplid Infrablacks for 479.40 euros in 183 incl p+p. So, I think I may go for them, seems like a pretty good deal and they only weigh in at around 1.7kg's a ski. If anyone has anything really bad to say about this ski speak up now because I expect that I will order it tomorrow.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I am not keen on the idea of carbon skis, exc maybe DPS.

http://www.sport-conrad.com/index.asp?disp=kategorie&kat_id=42

Check that out for some more ideas.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
OK so I've found some fairly poor reviews of the Amplid, although this was the 06/07 not the 08 model which I would get, hmm tricky I know the Teddy Berr's werent amzing but the Infrablack would behave very differently. Anyhoo Im getting up for work in less than 6 hours so I best get some sleep, Ill pick this up tomorrow evening when hopefully I will have looked at even more options...(wondering wether to just go for Volkl seeing as freeskier rate them so highly)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Once again I have changed my mind, think I may go for last years Scott P4's. They are meant to be a little soft and flexy but should be easy to handle in the powder. I was looking at Line ski's and others but dont think that a rockered design with negative camber will be best for me in Europe without reguar dumps of powder to put them to full use. I do fancy the Gotamas but cant seem to find a UK online shop who stock them.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
IThis years Goat

http://tinyurl.com/6o8o78
snow report
http://www.facewest.co.uk/Dakine-Pro2.html

if I wanted to A-frame them, use the compression straps
ski holidays
Those G3's look like a nice ski and sound like they perform well everywhere when needed to, however I think I will go with movement. Thanks JT for the link, the Goliath Sluff looks promising just have to see price wise now as the Gotama is still up there, think its between the 2. Volkl/Movement. Im thinking Volkl though, heard that Movement are more of a presonal taste, some people I know who have tried them arent keen. Think the Volkl is the one to go for then, really like the graphics which is a bonus and they get great reviews everytime. Cheers for all the help, so many options, guess Ive gone for the boring one but it wont bother me when Im enjoying some powder with them strapped to me!

Bag wise, well Ive seen a 'Line' bag that only £35, the styling isnt bad but the colour isnt great for my bright blue gear. However the design looks comfy with good straps and it can be used A-frame or crossed which is handy. I take you point on using the compression straps for vertical carry but still reckon a specific design feature would be better.

Final Q then I guess. Obviously it would be good for me to wait until I arrived in Verbier to try some of the Gots and see if there is anything that I prefer. Will I find as good as/better deal on them in Verbier or are the prices inflated a little. I will be on a BASI course but I dont think I get discount on Volkl (dont worry this ski is for days off in the powder and my end of season ski in the PDS) If I choose to leave it until Verbier I will have the chance in december to see if I can get some to try out in Chatel and get them ordered from our local shop owner Claude.

thanks a lot everyone, I have so many things to sort out but I think Im on top of it all rolling eyes
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy