Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tell me all there is to know about Alpe D'huez

Poster: A snowHead
Tell me all there is to know about Alpe D'huez
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nearest Airport is Grenoble Isere.

Regularly featured climb in the Tour de France.

It is at 1860m.

Only been in the summer, so I cannot comment upon skiing.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It claims the longest Black run in Europe.

Its got a tunnel you can ski through Smile

- and when we were there a crap chalet with Scare Tours Smile
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Very ugly resort, ditto the nursery slopes around it (IMV) but some lovely skiing - for every taste and level of ability - scenery and mountain restaurants around and about. I really enjoyed the area, as an intermediate skier (whatever that is) but stayed in Vaujany - which is a nice, but very quiet little village - not AdH itself.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Bones wrote:
and when we were there a crap chalet with Scare Tours Smile

Ditto...

around '03 IIRC.. can't remember the name of the chalet but it was for 24 IIRC.

The skiing is great however, lots of stuff for lots of different levels.

For basic information then check out http://www.wtss.co.uk/jsp/index.jsp?lnk=101&desc=&id=92&go.x=6&go.y=3&go=Search and http://www.ifyouski.com/resorts/View/?ObjectID=230004

I would agree that the main blue from the top of the DMC can get very busy..so use it as a quick warmup run then go somewhere else...

Make sure you take the lift that goes under the runway and across to the other sector of the resort, it's a bit of a 'heart in the mouth' moment...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
If you want somewhere pretty but with limited nightlife, go to Vaujany. Also gives access to the better skiing more quickly than ADH

As for the skiing, I LOVE it but I spend most of the time off piste and have spent years finding my way around (and hiring the services of a guide...). The off-piste is not obvious but is great and no-one skis it. As long as you can ski reds, the piste skiing is pretty good, although tree skiing is a bit limited. On mountain dining is very good
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There are the remains of a twelfth century silver mine near the altiport.

(You did say 'everything there is to know')
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mostly purpose built and above tree line, but brilliant for all levels. Beginners have a central bowl of greens with blues to progress onto. Several satellite villages to ski to/stay in. Old part of ADH is nice with some good restaurants. You must go on the 'scare chair' near the altiport.... Seems to suit all ages in terms of nightlife but not over rowdy if that isn't your thing! Our two loved the place when they were teenagers, still like it in their late twenties and we went back on our own last January and still love it! Lots of reasonable mountain restaurants and cafes. Not sure it matters where you stay as resort seems well linked up and there is a bucket lift running centrally through the main areas up to the DMC and ski school meeting place. Several good supermarkets/pharmacies etc. and plenty of ski hire outlets. Free entry to swimming pool with lift pass but I think blokes need speedo type trunks not shorts. Central ice rink and there is an ice driving 'rink' towards the altiport. Lift pass includes a day in Deux Alpes (I think?) and you can take a helicopter trip over there. Son enjoyed boarding there but central bowl has lots of drags if you're learning boarding! Daughter skied an amazing black off the top station of the cable car.
Thoroughly recommend ADH!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
One of things I like most about ADH is that you can ski easily to other villages and get a sense of travel. The runs down from Signal to Villard Reculas are really nice and the best IMO mountain restaurant sits by the piste just above the village. The runs down to Oz and towards Vaujany are nice too and there some trees providing shelter when it is needed. The scare chair over the gorge to Auris is a bit of a shock first time but again worth it for some nice quiet runs off Signal De L'Homme.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Renry, what do you want to know , skiied there the last three years but lizzard is one of thel ocal experts Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Curtains,

Places to visit.

Must ski areas.

Bars / restaurants to go to or avoid.

What sort of conditions to expect.

Photographs would be nice.

General experiences.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Renry, Here are a few photos.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Some nice ones there Colin B, . Thanks
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Renry, Ghastly artificial Gallic dump in the back-bottom end of the alps with next to nothing to recommend it - I think that covers it.

Go East young person
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Ghastly artificial Gallic dump in the back-bottom end of the alps with next to nothing to recommend it - I think that covers it.

and this is from a fan of Cervinia the most picturesque resort in the alps wink
latest report
Colin B, Ha! - you got me, my love of Cervinia defies logical description...
latest report
red 27 wrote:
Renry, Ghastly artificial Gallic dump in the back-bottom end of the alps with next to nothing to recommend it - I think that covers it.

Go East young person

not going to claim the town is great to look at but the mountains aren't bad

latest report
Free Wifi at the swimming pool (providing you buy a drink at the bar). Yes you need speedos but its fun being outdoors with frost on your hair in a heated pool.
Definitely go over the "scare chair" to Auris. Good skiing over there too and very few people compared to the central bowl at ADH.
snow report
Wemt in Jaunary 2004. Unfortunately it rained for 2 days upto 2500m followed by a mega dump. So vis was not good. However thought the sking was good for a milage hunter like me. On mountain food was good and reasonably priced. Outdoor pool was great fun.

Arno,

That is a stunning photo
ski holidays
Rerun of photos I posted last season. I'd go back. (In fact I AM going back - last week of Feb).

(First two photos courtesy and copyright Dominique Hirigoyen, a local photographer).

Sunset - from our balcony:

Second day - climbing for the fun on the other side:

Not bad!

All ours:
latest report
The resort is deeply unattractive.

The nitelife sucks.

The skiing is treeless and soulless.

Go to Les 2 Alpes just across the valley.
latest report
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Quote:

The skiing is treeless and soulless.

What the hell are these then

Alpe D'Huez Easter 2008

Much as I like both resorts I think there are far less trees in LDA
snow report
Colin B, Whitegold has never been off the bunny slopes in ADH wink
latest report
Not fussed about the town or the apre... which are average French fare with good and bad points.

Renry, If you want an all round holiday experience, then maybe look elsewehere, but if you can look at 'outside the box' type skiing...it is well up there, IMV....and I don't even know it that well.

I'd go back like a shot with someone who knows...
latest report
Quote:

Places to visit.

Must ski areas.

Bars / restaurants to go to or avoid.

What sort of conditions to expect.

Photographs would be nice.

General experiences.

If by places to visit you mean things to do I would recommend you take the piste basher to Lac Besson for dinner one night, take a microlight flight from the Altiport - the moment when you take off from the snow runway is quite breath taking, visit the outdoor pool (do take your speedos), if you have kids take them ice skating and to the sports centre which has a great climbing area which they will love, the church is also worth a look inside!

When you are skiing I would head for the surrounding sattelite villages - each offers different and enjoyable skiing and once to you are away from the main DMC area you will find quiet slopes even at the busiest times. If you hire a guide for a day you will be able to explore some of the places in Arno's amazing photos!

For a lively night out head for the Underground, Smithys or Sharkey's. The Igloo is a terrible place but serves it's purpose for continued drinking after the bars shut...For a more 'French' night out head to Zoo Bar, Last Bar and Les Carves. If is is a quieter night out you fancy with some nice comfy sofas then go to either Lounge 21 or O Bar.

Au P'tit Creux is probably the best (and most expensive) restaurant. The food is excellent and they have a great wine list. For more modern french cuisine in a lovely cosy atmosphere go to Les Epicier, the Roi Larde does a fantastic and very reasonably priced pizza, Genepi is good for traditional mountain specialities, the Cremaillere does and excellent Cote de Boeuf and you will not be disapointed by a trip to the Altiport restaurant.

Conditions will of course vary depending on when you visit and no season is the same - however later in the season if it is sunny the lower slopes to tend to get slushy in the afternoon. Worth taking a late lunch and making the most of the best conditions normally found around midday. Unless it has been very windy you normally find excellent conditions up on the glacier. Time a trip down the Sarenne to avoid ski school groups.

It is not the most beautiful resort but it is by no means the uglyist either. There is a lot of work going on to improve the look of parts of the town as well. The surrounding mountains are also spectacular. The ski area is huge and there is plenty to exlpore. It is a friendly and pretty down to earth resort and you will be made to feel very welcome. You will have a great holiday - if you have not already booked go for it! Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

Au P'booby

That's hilarious - it changed it from Au Petit Creux with a ' replacing the e which is how it is spelt...... Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy