Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski stiffness and length

Poster: A snowHead
If a ski has a stiff flex, is it best to go for a longer length to allow for more natural flex below the feet ? I'm thinking that if I bought a "stiff" ski, I should be getting a longer length to make sure I can flex it properly in the middle. This is based on the idea that I'm relatively light for my height. I'm 184cm and 75Kg.

Before everyone piles in, I know I should try the skis before buying but it's not always practical or financially advantageous to do this when on holiday.

If I'm talking rubbish please feel free to correct me rolling eyes
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
GS race skis are often stiffer in the longer lengths - as the shorter lengths are geared to females
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
pokemon wrote:
If a ski has a stiff flex, is it best to go for a longer length to allow for more natural flex below the feet ? I'm thinking that if I bought a "stiff" ski, I should be getting a longer length to make sure I can flex it properly in the middle. This is based on the idea that I'm relatively light for my height. I'm 184cm and 75Kg.

No.

The force you put on the ski to flex it is set by your weight, your turn radius and your speed.

If we hold everything else the same, getting a longer ski merely distributes the same force over more snow.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, thanks. So if I think my ideal length lies between the two available sizes in a ski, should I base my choice on my weight and ski style rather than the stiffness ?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pokemon wrote:
comprex, thanks. So if I think my ideal length lies between the two available sizes in a ski, should I base my choice on my weight and ski style rather than the stiffness ?

Not sure what you mean here.

Do you mean "rather than stiffness differences between skis of the same model in different lengths" then I can say yes.

If you mean something else, then I can only say that each factor has its proper context.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
comprex, sorry, yes you are correct, I meant will my style and weight mean I should go for the longer length in the same ski. My style is somewhat aggressive.

In reality I'm caught between 170ish and 176ish in a ski, where 170 is chin height and 176 is eyebrow height. My weight factor concerns me as I'm quite light for my height by normal bloke standards.

At the moment I fancy the longer length but the ski I looked at (Fischer Fuse 76) is marketed as being torsionally stiff but I think this means its stiff in the width and not in the length.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Generally...
176 ski on a 183 tall bloke is short... and a bit gay
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
JT, Yes I forgot the other more important deciding factor. I suppose when in doubt remember how it will look to other people in a lift queue.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pokemon, all joking aside... 176 is too short, IMV
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
pokemon, c'mon - we all know it's all about looking bad@55 in the lift queue wink
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pokemon, what kind of skiing will you mainly be doing ? on piste off piste or a mix? The fuse looks a good all round ski and comes in a 176 and 182.

Personally i think at your weight the 176 with its 76 waist would be about right for all round use but the off piste only guys would say too short... 170 would be a tad short IMO...

I have Volk AC30's in a 177 and im 193 and 98kg.. they ski just fine as all rounders but i would take longer boards out in deep off piste snow...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I'm 6'2" and 69kg (I could've sworn I was more but that's what the scales said) and I ride 175cm with 78mm waist and am fairly aggressive too. Fine for most conditions but seriously thinking about something a touch longer and a fair bit wider for deeper powder. Being light makes a big difference IMV.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, mainly on piste so I guess the 176 would be best for me, although this puts me in the decidedly "camp" end of straight according to the other guys !!

So, if Colin Farrell or Daniel Craig are the equivalent of a long ski length then a 176 length for me would be equivalent to Dale Winton (I'd need to get an orange tan though) Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
if you ski fast and hard - get a stiffer ski, because the ski will flap like crazy otherwise
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Is there such a thing as a flex rating for skis? Boots have them so perhaps skis should too.
ski holidays
I'm similar to Sharkymark, I'm 6'2" which comes out to around 183-185cm ish. I'm only 64kg (i think that makes me technically underweight, oh well) and I'm currently running 181cm skis. There's no way i'd go shorter, my next pair will be at least as long but probably more like 185cm.
ski holidays
Hi.I am new here , I'm from the Czech Republic , so my english isn't perfect.Smile

I have some questions to more experienced skiers.
For a few days i am browsing internet and looking for a good skis for my self.I'm intermediate skier , 183 (cm) tall , with weight only 65 kilograms !!.I want to go all terrains , like groomers , woods and a I realy like powder. In next time a want to move to freeride riding.

I looked at Volkl skis , especially model Mantra.I read , that they're realy good.But here's problem with my weight ... i heard that this skis are realy stiff .Will be I able ride with Mantras ?

Next problem - choice of lenght- is 177 cm good for me ?I prefer swifter ( good turning ) skis.
And is Marker free 12 good choice to this skis ?

Tnank's for answers.
latest report
my partner same issue - tall and skinny. if you are lightweight then you are lucky enough to get onto shorter nimbler skis with a tight carve.

I tried on scott mayas which were too long for me and I couldn't get them to get an edge no matter how hard i tried - they were sliding sideways underneath me and I can ski quite hard, I didn't have the weight to get em to dig in. I bought the shorter pair and love them.

look at movement spark or yaka jam. in 175cm or the scott aztec pro (fischer are doing a ski same as aztec called watea)
snow conditions
At least you all have a choice ! I'm 6'4" and weigh 110k and and quite aggressive so I ski on a stiff 190 ...at least they don't get nicked...just bought some new (old model ) rossis and can't wait to try them out
snow report
I've always been told it's a compromise between girth and skill.
snow conditions
At your height and weight, 176 with a 76 waist is only good for groomers, off-piste you would want more flotation. so at least 85 in the waist, could probably stick with 176 length but should be more like 180.
ski holidays
I'd say if you like the look of mantras but are worried they'll be too hard to turn just get a Volkl ski that has a softer flex. I'd recommend the Gotamas. And 177ish sounds about right. The longer the ski the harder it'll be to turn. I've always skied Mantras and they're amazing but so are Gots.
Regarding marker bindings, it depends what you're after - markers are pretty heavy though.
And with regard to on-piste/off-piste skiing, the Gots are designed as off piste skies, they'll still carve on piste fine just not like a race ski.
snow conditions
JT wrote:
Generally...
176 ski on a 183 tall bloke is short... and a bit gay

Yeah Poke-mon. Shocked
snow conditions
Quote:
The longer the ski the harder it'll be to turn.

Nope.

A longer ski will feel more stable.
And also float better (bigger surface area)

For an off piste ski you need to go wider AND longer.
A good rule of thumb is 10cm longer.
Its all about the surface area, not just the width!

So long as your feet are parallel you wont notice the difference wink
snow report
wbsr, " At your height and weight, 176 with a 76 waist is only good for groomers, off-piste you would want more flotation. so at least 85 in the waist" - what are you talking about? You get plenty of floatation with a 65mm waist.

Haggis_Trap, in the absence of any other factors a longer ski is likely to require more effort to turn...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy