Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Claviere

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Anyone any experience of Claviere - found a reasonable deal for New Year. Would have definitely gone if it was Montgenevre but is Claviere too out on a limb and is there a joint ski pass?

Don't need too much nightlife, looking for a family resort with good intermediate skiing.

Any comments would be helpful!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Claviere should be just right then. Montgenvre is easily accessible from Claviere and a joint pass can be bought.

I went there four or five years ago and enjoyed it. It's not a big village, but has a good amount of skiing that's just right for an intermediate family.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mmmmmm. Difficult one. I went there with my wide and 3 kids 2 years ago at New Year - stayed at the Crystal Club Hotel. Thought the resort was OK but just ok. Made some negative comments about it on another thread and was shot down in flames by a couple of folk who love it. Personally I would not go back, although were were pretty much restricted to skiing around Claviere due to the ages of our kids, and it was only their second week on skis. We did manage over to Montgenevre one day and found instantly that things improved. If you're looking for a place to rest your weary head and do very little after dinner, then it could be OK. It is only a few minutes away though from Montgenevre and if it were me I would spend most of my time skiing that side, and eating. Also watch out as a few of the restaurants are not in my opinion decent (more like motorway food) and have holes in the floor for toilets.

The beginners area is pretty ropey too, if you have any beginners in your family.

The ski pass (which when we were there was cardboard!!!!!) does cover the whole area.

When we were there the road cut the village down the middle and was horrendously busy and could not really be avoided. I have been told though that there is now a tunnel that goes under the village which has imnproved things significantly.

I have to say though that was totally underimpressed by Claviere especially given that the Olympics had only been there a year before. Claviere in my opinion needs a barrel load of cash spent on it, up-grading lifts etc. It was probably made worse by the fact that me and my wife went to Oberlech a few weeks afterwards and found this tobe the complete opposite (in a good way) from Claviere - efficient lifts, good signing, clean toilets, fantastic food - I could go on...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Think I was about 9 when I went there and spent the whole week skiing the same one run. Not the best money ever spent on a ski school, but there you go.. The hotel was really nice, family run with great food (the Miramonte I think) but now I hear it's run by Crystal as one of their club hotels Sad Shame.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for those who replied - we bit the bullet and went for it - the price was ok and the deal fit our fairly specific date/accom requirements. We are all reasonable intermediates and the kids can easily cope with travelling a reasonable distance so going over to Montgenevre shouldn't be that much of a problem! Also we're not really up to nightlife - it's mainly ski, eat, sleep, ski, ski, eat etc etc!

Very excited now something is booked! Apart from now I'll start watching the webcams!

Now........ can we fit another trip in in late Feb?????????
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dr George, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. And, one can always fit in another trip, wherever it is to. wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here's my take on the area having been 3 times now.

The passes are now all electronic so you just pop it in your pocket and slide past the entrance gate to the lifts. all lifts in claviere are now chair lifts too and there's only one or two pomas at Montgenevre. The area is very good with a nice mix of runs, most ideal for intermediates. Some steeper pitches as well if you get your confidence up. Montgenevre is probably better for absolute beginners as the bottom run back to claviere is a bit narrow in places and can be a bit bumpy.

Montgenevre back bowls on South side

View from Colle Bercia at Claviere

make sure and go to Kilt restaurant and order a pizza. Best pizza you'll have. They do nice fish and steak as well. Caution though, if you like a medium steak, ask for it well done. If you like a well done steak, be prepared to be laughed at Very Happy

It's a great wee resort/village that is generally quiet, as there's not much parking, most people by-pass it on the way to montgenevre. There's a few nice places to eat and make sure and go to the Gallo pub, just up from the base of the nursery slope, for apreski. They normally put out lots of nice local grub on the bar that is free as long as you are drinking there.

One thing that is very very good about Claviere, is the standard of the grooming that they do on the slopes. There's a lively and active race scene in the resort and the pistes reflect this.

View towards Coletto Verde from Colle Bercia at Claviere

If you look just to the right of the highest point on this photo you can see the black run coming back over to Italy from France. There's also a red option here if you don't like the steepness of the black - and it is pretty steep.

To ski both areas - Claviere and Montgenevre - you'll need a MONTS DE LA LUNE area pass. You can also get a ViaLattea pass which would do all the other resorts on the Italian side as well. It's quite a long skiing trip to take advantage of that though.

Off Piste at Claviere

If you do one run at Montgenevre, make sure it's the red from montgenevre - le chenaillet back down to the bottom. It's a good long run with amazing views and is perfectly ski-able for an intermediate group.

Le Chenaillet at Montgenevre

The bowls at the back of the resort are big and fun with easy and difficult runs right next to each other. The only mountain cafe at montgenevre can also be found there (there's lots in the village though). That's where Claviere is much better than Montgenevere. It's a smaller resort but has at least 5 or 6 places to eat or drink up on the mountain. There's also some excellent skiing on the north side of Montgenevre. If it's warm, make sure and ski there in the morning and head over to the south side, north facing slopes, in the afternoon.

The back bowls at Montgenevre with the only moutain restaurant at the resort

Enjoy the skiing and prepare for two distinctly different cultures either side of the border and you're onto a winner.

If you need more info

webcams are on this site

http://www.vialattea.it/en

and montgenevre ones are at montgenevre.com

If you do a search there was a recent thread about resorts in the area. lots of good info on it.

ps. about the toilets... yeah, sure, there are a few toilets that are the Italian/French style hole in the ground ones. The majority are our conventional style sit on tops though. That's culture for you though
Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Shoogly - that's great, thanks for the tips & photos - now I really can't wait!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I suppose if one can ski around as a family then Claviere is more desirable than Montgenevre which is at the end of the Milky Way domain next to Claviere.

The link is quite accessible between Claviere with Cesana (opposite side to Montgenevre at Claviere). From Cesana one can go to Sancicario. From Sancicario one can go to Sauze D'oulx or Sestriere.

If the family cannot travel to other areas then staying in either one area of Montgenevre, Sancicario, Sauze D'Oulx or Sestriere would be a better choice. Just take a look at the piste map and things should be apparent.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
shoogly, what a fantastic post, hats off to you.

We went to Claviere as a family last year and I went back to Montgenevre with the chaps. I would consider Montgenevre and Claviere as one, providing all the links are open and you have the Monts de Lune pass. I would say the pass from Montgenevre to Claviere right at the top could be a bit intimidating to novices, the chair to get there from Montgenevre is a little vertiginous (?) and you cant afford to bottle turns imho.

Choice of ski hire in Claviere is not as good as what you might normally expect.
My personal day time recommendation for food is the pizzas at the Hotel in Sanga Longa, slopeside sunny terrace, and reasonable price. (Claviere side).

There is more to do in Montgenevre in the evening tho.

Kids (and dads) will love the dedicated sledging area at Montgenevre complete with magic carpet. travel between Montgenevre and Claviere is literally five minutes by bus or taxi.

Hope this helps.

boabski, hits the nail on the head tbh.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
shoogly, great post, nice pics, take me back to my second ski holiday (stayed in Montgenevre), green and blues in Les Gondrans area above the mountain restaurant built my confidence no end.

Dr George, Claviere is quieter and smaller than Montgenevre, but is a good spot for exploring the whole Milky Way area, we spent 3 evenings there, 2 meals at the fantastic & welcoming pizzeria Kilt, 1 at the friendly hotel bar opposite as nowhere in Montgenevre would show the English International football match.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy