Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Calling solos/pairs of any ability - Xmas wk

Poster: A snowHead
Escape Xmas, bah humbug Evil or Very Mad . Come skiing! snowHead

I'm taking an unfit 30+ absolute beginner for her first week and we haven't booked anything yet. Looking at St Anton, 2A, Tignes, ValD, and ValT for the best high quality deal.

My friend plans to do half day lessons for the first 3 days at least and it would be good to find some more snowHead's to keep us both company as I'll be skiing all mountain almost all day almost every day.

4-5* accom with sauna/spa etc... being sought to keep comfort levels high so budget for beginners with lessons, hire & pass expected to be £1,000 - £1,200 - 'cause it's Xmas. Experienced kit owners get off approx £300 cheaper but anticipate picking up a lot of the beer bills.

Hoping for a package deal in a catered chalet that includes flights and transfers to keep organisation easier. However if any chalet owners reading this want to fill up a twin room for accom only rates, happy to hear about them as if it's just two of us I could be tempted to drive. Shocked

Looking to book in the next couple of weeks to try and get some sort of discount but not leave it too late so that there's plenty of time for excitment to build.

Are you interested?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
flowa, have pm'd snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Anniepen, Thanks, am researching now Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I wouldn't take an absolute beginner to St Anton.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB, Can't resist the temptation to have her doing well enough by mid-week to be able to ski back from the Kangaroo in the evening wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
flowa,

Good thinking.... but still not helpful to beginners.....but then, what do they know...Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
RichII, We might leave on the 21st Toofy Grin
Depends on the deal. Would be great to have you along.
Click Anniepen's link in her signature. Chalets Cristalle & Tatatz look gorgeous and I haven't skiied the Grand Massiv since the mid 90's.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
flowa, like DB, I wouldn't take an absolute beginner to St Anton.
Indeed, I wouldn't take an absolute beginner to 2A (les Deux Alpes). Tignes, or Val D (Val d'Isere) either.
The problem with all these resorts is: what to do after the nursery Slopes?
Beginners need lots of Greens and Easy Blues.
It is also so much more fun to be able to ski home, rather than take a lift down at the end of the day.
Of your suggested resorts, only Val T (Val Thorens) scores.

But the best resort for an absolute beginner at Christmas is La Plagne.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
hello

you could always come on my trip going to Morzine/Avoriaz for 8 nights on the 19th-27th Dec? cost would be £475 for accom, £170 for 6 half day lessons plus lift pass, £100 equipment hire = £770. Get the cheapest flights for you - people in my group are getting them for £150 at the moment.

Morzine top resort for beginner - i learnt there. Avoriaz is snow sure. two great resorts in one.

pm me for more details!

xx
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jonpim, thanks doll, duely noted Blush
Found a deal to Montana hotel today so that looks even better now yours and DB's advice has sunk in. The virtue of it being based on the beginners slope is hard to ignore.
Hmm, La Plagne? I'll have a look.
x
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
queen_sheba, Thanks! I'll talk to her about it and get back to you. snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hey,

might be worth you knowing;

"My friend plans to do half day lessons for the first 3 days at least and it would be good to find some more snowHead's to keep us both company as I'll be skiing all mountain almost all day almost every day."

one of the girls on my trip is instructor level and a good proportion are good intermediate. so you will be well catered for!!

me, one of the other girls and perhaps your partner are probably of the "nice blue run, chair lift, blue run - vin chad stop, easy red, lunch ilk") so she will be well looked after!!

4-5* accom with sauna/spa etc... our chalet has hot tub and sauna, heated boot rack and lifts to the lifts (which are only 5 mins anyway - see above for "lazy" ilk) 5mins into morzine town which is proper french town with school and "bibliograph" (library!)

just thought i should mention! lol

xx
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
flowa,

I take that back. You take that girl to St Anton she'll love it to bits, I'll let you know what the hot tub in Morzine was like Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flowa, If you come here there are plenty of snowheads here for company. I can't help your friend because I'm full, but you would be able to enjoy skiing with MarkeyB and Craig and Amanda Jennings (fellow Kiwis). I suggest the hotel Souleil'Or as although a 3* (doesn't have an indoor pool but does have sauna, jacuzzi etc. Very good grub ... big-ish rooms). Easy transfers, so you should be able to DIY-it easily. Alternatively Mark Warner at le Berengere is a 4* hotel right on the pistes. Has all the stuff you want. Sunday transfers to avoid the crush. for your friend they have a special arrangement with the ESF where they have particular instructors and limit the class size. Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks easiski, such a shame you're full as I've already bigged you up to her if we do end up in 2A. Good tips on the acoom, I'll look into them too.
xx
snow conditions
flowa, if you're looking for snowHead company, it sounds like there're about a dozen of us (family Q, charlatan's crew, Nick L et al, me, maybe some more) scattered at various places around Zermatt over Xmas. No ideas what it's like for beginners though (to date I've only ever "passed through" off-piste), but it does have pretty much guaranteed skiing up on the glacier.
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:

LOL spoo
ski holidays
red 27, you poor chap.
Try some of this
latest report
GrahamN, Zermatt not a good place for beginners, hell of a hike to the nursery slopes up at Trockener Stegg. Not a bad trip if you can ski, but 1 stop in a gondola and then a standy uppy cable car for a beginner.
snow report
Jonpim wrote:

Would echo this. Spent my first 5 weeks skiing in La Plagne, including 2 xmas's
snow conditions
GrahamN, yeah, Z would be great, and if I was on my own I might be tempted, but from what Charlatanefc said it's going to be too tough on a newby plus everyone's doing their own thing there so I don't think it's going to happen.

Charlatanefc, gosh LP keeps coming up and I don't know it at all. Isn't it a bit low for a white christmas? That's what worries me about Morzine/Avoriaz too. I'm a still a pondering all the options but Val T is standing out as strongest option.
ski holidays
flowa, There are separate villages in LP at different heights. Villages is one of the highest but doesn't have a great deal of charm or nightlife etc, but some very good s/c properties with pools and spa facilities. Plagne Soleil has a bit more life and so does Plagne Centre. If you want to show your friend alpine charm and character, it's probably not the best choice, but for everything else, not a bad choice at all. There is some info on my link if you want to get a feel for the place
snow report
Charlatanefc wrote:
Spent my first 5 weeks skiing in La Plagne, including 2 xmas's

I think that is the saddest post I have ever read on snowheads. Your pareants were very very wicked to be so cruel to you, dragging you to that god-foresaken hellhole year after year...

Mind you, on the other hand, it must have been epiphanous when you finally made it to a proper ski resort - oh the Wonders... Mountain scenary, Alpine architecture, friendly locals, good food, trees, interesing ski terrain, short transfers, nightlife
snow report
red 27, Smile
snow conditions
flowa wrote:
GrahamN, yeah, Z would be great, and if I was on my own I might be tempted, but from what Charlatanefc said it's going to be too tough on a newby plus everyone's doing their own thing there so I don't think it's going to happen.

Charlatanefc, gosh LP keeps coming up and I don't know it at all. Isn't it a bit low for a white christmas? That's what worries me about Morzine/Avoriaz too. I'm a still a pondering all the options but Val T is standing out as strongest option.

Just sell st anoton on the famous 6 men to 1 woman ratio Toofy Grin
latest report
Not read the whole thread as am a bit pushed for time, but I would say that St Anton is not the place for a beginner. I'm going to San Cassiano in the Dolomites, I think we still have space (although limited) - Dolomites at Christmas is a beautiful thing! View details at http://www.mountainsunltd.com/chalet/albergo-frohsinn . Ski in ski out, great for beginners and all levels. We don't offer a package though, catered chalet accommodation and transfers from Venice. PM me if you'd like more info.
latest report
Thanks again Anniepen, you're a bit of an info star Very Happy
snow conditions
dan100, by any chance are you going to be in St Anton at the time? wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
flowa, Just doin' ma job, maam Laughing
snow report
Joanne Mountainsun, aaaaagh, another option that has a lot to offer. snowHead Thanks. I've added them to the ponder list.
snow report
flowa, If this trip is open to all ( not sure if you want this to be a girls week away or not) please keep me informed as i wouldn't mind sneeking off for the xmas week somewhere snowy.
snow conditions
Hey,

Am a newbie here, hope you don't mind me jumping straight in! This might be just what I need. I am planning to take a complete beginner skiing at Christmas too and am thinking it would be good to have someone to ski with. Thinking half day lessons for her most days and during that time I'm up for a blast around. Was thinking three valleys. As others have mentioned, I would steer clear of St A, Val D and Tignes certainly. Took a mixed group of a beginner, some fairly inexperienced skiers and some experty types to Meribel a couple of years ago though and it worked well.

Cheers

Rach
snow report
first lift last call, Welcome to Snow Heads snowHead
ski holidays
flowa, Did you spot Blizt's post. It might not be up to your luxury standards, but Pete and Lyn cook brilliantly and will make you very welcome - you'd get on like a house on fire with them. Very Happy If there are 2 or 3 others, Snowheads could fill the apartment. They are also snowheads, but don't post much (Scubaski Very Happy
ski holidays
flowa, dont fret! If snow is not in Avoriaz at christmas I doubt if any resort in France will have it!!!
ski holidays
easiski, cheers, I haven't seen it but will have a look now xx
ski holidays
newerrichlott, first lift last call, good stuff Very Happy . I'll pm you the leading options early next week for you to consider. Work is too distracting/busy for the next few days and the weekend is going to be crazy so I won't be able to surf as much as I think it needs to eek out the best deals on offer.
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, Laughing just showing my ignorance about the area, I guess. Thanks for the vote of confidence for the area.
latest report
flowa, coolio, if I think of anything, I'll let you know. Have only really started pondering on it today!
snow conditions
flowa, first lift last call, newerrichlott, just got back home & seen your posts on here. If anyone is interested in staying in Les Deux Alpes for Xmas as easiski says have a look at my post "Anyone for Les Deux Alpes over Christmas" & feel free to pm me if you have any questions. If it helps - Pete (Mr Blitz) & I are pretty well house trained now despite living near Birmingham so hopefully wouldn't be too frightening a prospect to share an apartment with for a week although he does have a Brummie accent so if you're not from the West Midlands I'd be happy to offer a translation service when required Laughing Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy