Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chatel or Risoul

Poster: A snowHead
Just wondered what these two resorts are like/have to offer? C4's teletext service advertised some deals there in mid-Jan e.g. 1 week HB inc F & T + ski pass + standard ski hire for £450
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi, went to chatel in 2003, the skiing there is good and you can also get the bus to a neighbouring resort, included on the lift pass (cant remember the name sorry) which has ome excellent mogul fields. sorry dont know about risoul!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I have no great knowledge of either (so don't take this as gospel).

My old school went to Chatel the year before I jumped on the ski trip bandwagon (and what a bandwagon it was by the time I left Toofy Grin ), everyone was quite positive of their experience. It's a nice little resort which links into the Portes du Soleil area (huge, huge linked area). I skied through it whilst trying to do the PdS circuit. In actual fact I skied through it twice, as I had to turn back on myself when the link from Les Crosets back into Avoriaz was closed... Chatel's only real problem is that it's kind of split into two, with a short, regular bus linking the two halves (one half leading into Avoriaz and the other into Morgins and Torgon).

Have no experience of Risoul, all I will pass on is all I know of it - bloody long transfer. It's got a good snow record though (I think)...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
the neighbouring resort i mentioned above was possibly the other half of chatel that skisimon mentioned above, sorry it was a few years ago! Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skisimon, well linked to PDS region resorts, well it must be if I got down there from Morzine on my board Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Went to Risoul a couple of years ago - it's reasonably high, so should be snowy! It is a 3-3.5h transfer from Turin, but even with small kids this wasn't too bad. It is a friendly village, small with not much to do other than ski so if you have none skiers not ideal. Reasonable ski area as links with Vars. Most runs head back to the village we were beginner/intermediate when we went and found it ideal. All the accommodation is reasonably near the slope so you are unlikley to be more than a 5 min walk from a gondola.

Several bars/restaurants but not a pary spot - ideal for families though. We would go again if a deal came up but we tend to try to go to different places.

Haven't been to Chatel but been to Les Gets in the Portes de Soleil. Only reservation about going there again is that many areas of PdS are fairly low so I would wait till last minute and see what the snow was like.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for all the input - sounds as though the areas in themselves are quite small, but with Chatel's link to Avoriaz, perhaps that's a good option. Anyone else know much else about the link from personal experience?

Dr George, did you take the link to Vars?

Again, many thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The link to Vars is easy. Risoul and Vars have really excellent tree lined off piste. I think its a great resort. Went there last March and had not snowed for over 6 weeks before we went there and the snow was still in excellent conditions. A couple of snow days when we were there really made the skiing excellent.

I have been to many of the super resorts but Risoul/vars was a real joy to find. It is the only resort that I have planned to return to. Taking kids there for first skiing in Fabruary.

The apres is not so great if thats what you want. But if you want a warm friendly resort with a French feel uncrowded slopes, go for Risoul / Vars. You can get some good deals through "Sara residence" and get flights to Marseille which are cheaper and a bus transfer service is about 30€ return.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Can't comment on Risoul, but have been thru Chatel 3x on the PdS loop. I certainly want to go back, and stay up at that end of the PdS since I've never really experienced the Chatel/Morgins/Torgon area fully.

The Chatel-Linga and Plaine Dranse sector is probably pretty good when the snow conditions are less good elsewhere around the PdS. I don't know why people are so concerned about the altitude... I've been there 6 times, 5 of them just after Christmas, and had 6 full days out of 6 on the snow each time, including that week 2 years ago when the snow really was dire across a lot of the alps.

The bus that was mentioned was almost certainly the one between SuperChatel and Chatel-Linga.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Libertine, andy, many thanks. That's really useful. There appear to be some cracking deals around and both Chatel and Risoul feature. The SO is looking at a mischievious week away at Christmas. And I thought I was keen.... Very Happy

Incidentally, the link to Vars from Risoul - is this via a lift system or by road? If by lift/ski, would it suit a 3 weeker, getting fairly confident, can handle reds, but better on blues really.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chasseur, you can ski from one to the other, v easy. I did a season in Vars some years ago, had a great time.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
we live in Chatel and can tell you that it's a great place to ski! We are two lifts away from the high slopes of Avoriaz and are right in the heart of the Portes Du Soleil. There's also a really nice mix of a traditional working village and plenty of bars and restaurants to keep you going. You can do the whole PDS circuit in a day, if you get a prompt start! We take people round most weeks and many think it's one of the best days skiing they've had! Plus it's not far from Geneva, give Chatel a shot!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For mid-Jan, then they are probably about equal. Chatel will have access to wider skiing in the Portes due Soleil, but Risoul will be quieter due to the less "big name" resorts in the area.

Choosing between the two, it probably comes down the convenience of flights/transfers.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Once more, many thanks.

RobW, having done the 5 hours to Livigno last season, I reckon the 3-3.5 to Risoul is liveable wink
latest report
The transfer from Marseille is about 3hs.. but for a week away.. who cares?? I dont know chatel, but my boss was ate PDS when i was at risoul and the snow was def better at risoul despite the lack of the white powder.

As RobW, says, prett similar just depends on your taste.

I an a newish skiier (10 trips in 4 years) and as such never returned to an area., but risoul ticks the boxes for me Very Happy
ski holidays
Libertine, the Risoul holiday transfer I was looking at is from Turin. We're on a similar curve - 15 trips in 6 years (16 if I can sneak this one in)
latest report
Chasseur, hubby and son met up with some friends in Risoul last new Year for a day, they really enjoyed it. Mountain restaurants weren't up to Serre Chevalier standards though. wink
snow report
Chasseur, we did Risoul in 2005 and had an absolutely brilliant week - the slopes are FULLY sunny, which made for pleasant skiing throughout, but the height means that the quality of the snow doesn't suffer too much from it. The cheapest deals are definitely to be had via Sara Residences direct - last year before we ended up in the PdS I priced up a s/c apartment the first week in March and it worked out at less than £200 per person - and that was in the 4**** Balcons de Sirius complex with pool/sauna etc too.

Evenings are lively enough due to there being a long line of pubs/restaurants on the front de neige, and it's very reasonable to eat out. Bit nothingy for non-skiers, but great for families, beginners and those who don't want too much of a structured holiday.
snow report
Yes did the trip over to Vars - managed there and back quite easily in a ESF morning ski lesson and it was my first time on outside snow! so wasn't that good - reasonable intermediates should be able to cover the whole area easily but don't think that means the area is limited - we really didn't do it justice in a week.
ski holidays
Chasseur, careful where you stay if you opt for Chatel... the main body of the village is south facing and often a bit thin, meaning a bus ride over to the Linga buble every day...
snow report
Chasseur, did you book either?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy