Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

women's ski for 'a bit of both'

Poster: A snowHead
Please can someone help? Whenever I go to choose hire skis [too mean to buy] I end up feeling like I am not sure I've got what I wanted. I'm keen to try more off piste/powder, but want a ski that will turn when I tell it when I am on piste. I'm by no means a go for it skier, but the most fun I ever had was when I got a pair of 10-80s for a couple of days a few years back. I am not a speed freak, but enjoy having a go in moguls. I'm average height but am built for comfort as they say. Embarassed

I have seen some threads about the K2 Luv skis, some of which sound like I what I would try, but what are equivalent skis in other brands for when I have to stumble through broken French?

Cheers in advance.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MarjMJ, I'm a skier of very few skills and you may not be able to pick them up as hire skis anyway, by in VT this year I trialled a pair of Elan Pure Spice skis, I think they may have been the sort of ski that you are looking for as despite my inexperience even I could see that they would turn had I of had the ability and they were certainly great when it got soft - I ended up wanted a sherpa following me round the mountain with a pair for powder and slush. If you want to look at the specs to see if you can get something similar they can be seen here:

http://www.elanskis.com/pcc.asp?xpath=&xpathid=&xpathid2=&xpathid3=&lang=eng

Drill down on Products/Womens skis/Spice/Pure spice
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
MarjMJ, This is what I'm going to try, if/when I get the chance.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Hurtle, that's a nice all-mountain ski.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hurtle,
Quote:
The Dynastar Exclusive Legend is a woman's all mountain ski aimed at advanced to expert skiers. A real ski for the fairer sex, not just a softer version of the Legend with girly graphics. The Exclusive Legend is stable at speed and efficient in all snow conditions. It is not deflected by crud and remains predictable. Despite the 13 meter turn radius it suits medium to longer radius turns although is quick edge to edge on hardpack. Less powerful, lighter skiers will have no trouble getting the best out of this ski. Take for a ride through the trees, down narrow couloirs or open up on wide powder fields. Wood cored with a metal spatula cap for robustness. Skieur Magazine's tester's choice 2008.

That sounds awfully suspect to me.... a 13m radius ski that suits longer radius turns = ??they skid well?? Because a ski cannot carve a longer radius than sidecut... only shorter...
Stable at speed - ?? with a 13m radius.... I wanna see them convince a DH or SG or even GS racer that they are "stable at speed" .... so I guess what this means is "we are marketing at people that will not notice speed issues"....(or was that the tester's idea of speed is a bit dodge? - hard to know who wrote this)..... Quick edge to edge- with a 75mm waist - Compared to ? a 100mm waist? or a 63mm waist? I notice a definite difference in my Lotta Luvs at 78 than any of my other skis at 63ish...

This is the sort of tripe that really puts me off reading these ski reviews.... Like when you see people who you know for a fact cannot initiate a clean carve turn reviewing skis and talking about how they carve
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
MarjMJ, if you're looking for a ski that you'll find fairly easily in hire shops, you could check out the Rossignol B78 Bandits (or perhaps the B83s, but I think the B78s would be fine). I second Hurtle's suggestion as well snowHead

Btw, I've got Burnin Luvs (which I think are wonderful Very Happy ) - they are great on piste & on moguls (it's my fault, not theirs...), & can handle a bit of off-piste & powder, but the latter two are not really their thing...
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
little tiger wrote:

Stable at speed - ?? with a 13m radius.

So run them flat.

Quote:

... I wanna see them convince a DH or SG or even GS racer that they are "stable at speed" .... so I guess what this means is "we are marketing at people that will not notice speed issues"....(or was that the tester's idea of speed is a bit dodge?

Do you -really- think most people reading that review will want to go over 30mph? Or if they do, that they will think that they're "slow"?

Quote:

... Quick edge to edge- with a 75mm waist - Compared to ?

Other 75mm waisted skis. It is.

It is even quick edge2edge compared to some thinner skis with less sidecut and narrower tips.

Quote:

This is the sort of tripe that really puts me off reading these ski reviews.... Like when you see people who you know for a fact cannot initiate a clean carve turn reviewing skis and talking about how they carve

Context and audience, lt, context and audience.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
i first saw the thread title as "women for a bit of both" Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

if you liked 1080s then why not try for them, would've thought they're fairly common around the hire shops?? - or you could shop around for a good purchase deal on same

her-indoors has K2 Luvs and Luvs them
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
comprex wrote:
'swot I thought and, until my present Heads (which are fine, except for giving me shoulder-ache from carrying them) I've always been Dynastar brand-loyal.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Jo225 wrote:
MarjMJ, if you're looking for a ski that you'll find fairly easily in hire shops, you could check out the Rossignol B78 Bandits (or perhaps the B83s, but I think the B78s would be fine). I second Hurtle's suggestion as well snowHead

Btw, I've got Burnin Luvs (which I think are wonderful Very Happy ) - they are great on piste & on moguls (it's my fault, not theirs...), & can handle a bit of off-piste & powder, but the latter two are not really their thing...

I tried the Burnin Luvs and thought they were awful... all built up as great on-piste and stiff... I just found them kinda dead feeling.... a nothing type of ski.... edges felt sort of useless(might have been the tune I'm used to a race ski with special steel edges and a 0.5/3 tune) I'd not have wanted them on good Oz morning after the afternoon slop before type ice....

I got the Lotta Luvs after trying in Utah.... they are not bad.... pretty forgiving.... but not awe inspiring either.... these days I'll ski my GS skis in the same snow I'd ski the Lotta's.... so the Lotta's are going to go....

I'm considering trying a Gotama or the ladies version of that after reading a few reviews from people I know.... because I'd like a real powder type ski...for the right days... otherwise I am going to work on improving how I ski on the race skis in more conditions...

Having said all that it seems a GS type ski suits my type of skiing style(ask Easiski).... and as I grew up on race skis I like the feel of these things and a race type tune...

I think you really need to get out and try some different stuff and not just buy what everyone else thinks is trendy...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
little tiger,
Quote:

we are marketing at people that will not notice speed issues

What's the problem? Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
little tiger,
Quote:

not just buy what everyone else thinks is trendy

The OP specifically mentions renting. And my own post referred to 'trying.' rolling eyes
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hurtle, I was commenting on the people writing the stuff not you two.... They write so much rubbish you really have to TRY.... their is no indication what a ski is like from those descriptions
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
comprex wrote:
'swot I thought and, until my present Heads (which are fine, except for giving me shoulder-ache from carrying them) I've always been Dynastar brand-loyal.

Yep this can be a good thing... some people and some brands are a match - or mismatch.... I have always skied well on Volkl and Stockli skis.... never found a Salomon I got on with yet! Hence I'm pretty partial to trying anything from these makers....
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
little tiger, I hated the Burnin Luvs too. I can't understand why they are so well liked. They do have a dead feel to them. My husband thought the same about the Recons. Volkls are king !
ski holidays
Quote:

I'm considering trying a Gotama or the ladies version of that after reading a few reviews from people I know

Quote:

I think you really need to get out and try some different stuff and not just buy what everyone else thinks is trendy...

Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

They write so much rubbish you really have to TRY.... their is no indication what a ski is like from those descriptions

Laughing Laughing
latest report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
JT, Absolute classic.
snow report
Next time I need to buy skis I'm going to be testing the Mission of the day (currently have the Rosas) and the Stöckli Rotor 76. I had a blast on those when I tested them last season, but my powder skiing wasn't up to testing them in deeper stuff at the time. If I'm feeling rich, I'd almost be tempted to buy both, keep one pair in Laax and the other at home for Hoch-Ybrig/Flumsi Embarassed
ski holidays
erica2004, Yep if I was shopping for an "All Mountain Ski" (Does nothing really well ski in my book) rather than a specialty ski then I'd go for the Volkl Tigershark with the switch (well I'd demo first but that sounds an awesome ski from those I know that skied it)..... I know I love Volkl skis generally.... and as I said I've never found a Salomon I liked at all...

I think it is the style of ski suits the style of skier sort of thing...
ski holidays
Thanks folks. I do have a very sceptical eye for the blurbs these things come with which is why I rather thought I should ask. I had forgot about the Bandits - I think I had something of that ilk last year and they were good for me. I just don't want to spend 3 days of my holiday dithering about whether I've got the right ski then having to waste time going back to the shop to change them.

I must admit to not having had much fun with Dynastars, but I have had fun many years ago with Salomon's, so perhaps it is all just a case of 'you say potato, I say pomme de terre..' Very Happy

I would admit to having absolutely no clue about all this sidecut stuff - I'm quite happy to wear trousers without having to know how they work as the saying goes...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy