Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The SKIING goals thread

Poster: A snowHead
Did you set/achieve any goals last year? What are your goals for the season?

Last years goals:Pass CSIA 2, CSCF 1, Stick some 3's, Kicking Horse during a massive powder day. Status:Achieved

This years goals:Get on snow.. Suitable conditions would be eyeing a 25+footer but that is just speculatory, is that even a word? Go to the Horse again and launch "pride rock". Front flip would be nice but I ain't holding my breath.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mine was simply to have fun - I did that in spades.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My goal last year was to improve my skiing and enjoy it.

I fell over and did my knee in. Found fear, previously unknown, forgot how skiing works and became incredibly unfit.

This years goal: Learn how to ski again!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Good thread, and one to revisit in six months time. My goals are:

1. Improve my control of timing of the different phases of the turn, so I can adjust what happens when under my control rather than being dictated to by the snow and the terrain.
2. Improve my feeling for the forces that build up during the turn, so I can ski with more efficiently and with more flow.
3. Improve my control when skiing bumps by working harder to keep skis in contact with the snow and improving my steering through increased upper/lower separation.

These were all points that I started to work on last season and made a little bit or progress with, but they all need massive improvement for my skiing to move up a level.

Along the way I'd like to pass a few BASI courses (Mountain Safety and Alpine Coach Levels 1 & 2), and to spend some time skiing with friends around the Tarentaise and Trois Vallees.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
To get at least 2 boarding trips in, master some air ..... oops sorry arv, this is the SKIING thread wink
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DebbiDoesSnow, yehh yehhhhhh Laughing
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last years goal.........to have fun.! Achieved

This years goal.........first and foremost, to have even more fun than last year. Its gonna be a hard nut to crack!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Last season goal: to identify favorite resort. Working from Snowheads top 10's - I did 10 trips- but am more confused Confused
Discovered quality of companions is more important as venue Very Happy
This season I am adding couple of new resorts to my bag & revisiting a few favorites. I am concerned my financial situation will be drastically affected by events and will mean less indulgence. I hope to enjoy it whilst I can & expect to make new friends. Smile
My confidence & fitness improved with ski mileage last season, this season I intend to have a technique tune up and have some off piste instruction.
arv, I am not in your league, not that good, not that brave -good luck. I have heard good things about KH.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I doubt there will ever be another skiing year, to top the one just gone in terms of the overall progress that I made in my skiing, mainly in a certain 1 week holiday that I'll never forget. I'd like to come back after Easter having tried an easy black in good snow,just so I can say I've done one
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Two seasons ago ( Jan 2007) we got back from our one week in France and decided our goal was to ski more. So we planned a move to Calgary. We then skied more.

This year our plan is to do some pre-season training and then to ski more. Pre season training isn't that apparent as yet and the sason starts in two or three weeks. We have RCR season pass so hopefully will ski even more this year.

Gryphea
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My goal is to actualy get next years week booked as we still havnt sorted anything yet.
Then its a case of spending as much time on the slopes as possible. Waiting 12 months in between
trips to the mountains is a long time Sad
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The goal I set last year, get Anwärter Ski I made last week....

Next up is Landes 1, for which i'll need LOTS of training, which means I won't be able to give it a go until 2010.
Also since the Austrians seem to have a distinct lack of attention in failure analysis (especially at Anwärter level), to find something to get better at that.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
jonm wrote:
Got to agree. That and not get injured are my goals.

Megamum wrote:
I doubt there will ever be another skiing year, to top the one just gone in terms of the overall progress that I made in my skiing, mainly in a certain 1 week holiday that I'll never forget. I'd like to come back after Easter having tried an easy black in good snow,just so I can say I've done one
Goitschel, in the afternoon, when the piste has softened. It is the piste to the right that you look at when sat at the Plan Sud Resto
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This Season: Really nail the off-piste and powder technique. 2 weeks in Fernie to do it. Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Improve on the Black pistes cope better with bumps and moguls. Definitely achieved. Took fewer rest breaks, managed to follow the fall line, for the most part, down mogul fields - a happy bunny Very Happy

Goals for this year? More of the same

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 24-10-08 13:30; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
2 major goals this year, learn properly how to ski moguls with a relative level of confidence and style, and ski as much offpiste as possible. both will require the achievement of another goal, getting fit, and seeing as I have just under 2 months til I go skiing, I think that has to start now!
ski holidays
Fr0sty the Sn0wman,
Quote:

Goitschel, in the afternoon, when the piste has softened. It is the piste to the right that you look at when sat at the Plan Sud Resto

What about that run down the other side from the Cime de Caron to the Rosael lift? I can't recall much difficulty about that and the views are sublime - amongst the best I've seen in the Alps.
latest report
arv,

Am I allowed to copy+paste? wink
snow conditions
I currently don't have any year's goals because I barely know where I'm going to ski this year besides Stratton, Vermont

But my life goal is... TO SKI CORBET'S COULOIR!!!!!!

I think I'm heading there Smile
ski holidays
I'd like to get the hang of bumps this year, and venture off piste a bit more than just cutting from one run to another or playing round the poles.
ski holidays
Kruisler, NO! Evil or Very Mad

If you wish to be a part of it why not!
snow report
1. Have fun
2. Try and keep up with the kids
3. Do the Aiguille Rouge run in LEs Arcs - just never get the chance what with kids and grandparents
latest report
Straighten 'em up...
snow conditions
1) Get the SO skiing more confidently and improve stance/position - achieved on second trip (apart from one hysterical moment)
2) Take some off-piste lessons - booked a specific 2 hour lesson, but it morphed into advanced/speed carving for 1.5 hours to get ready for no.3 rolling eyes - Still managed half an hour which was excellent and also managed 17th out of 56 starters and only 5 secs off first place.
3) Take part in the weekly resort GS competition in Livigno

Boris if you do get the chance, you must do the Aiguille Rouge - it's fantastic and in my top three fav runs. FWIW, the others are the Luc Alphand Olympic piste in SC and the red from Prorel to Pra Long, which I think is called Remparts, also in SC

This season, only booked on one holiday.....so far Toofy Grin
1) Actually do a full 2 hour off-piste lesson
2) Whoop my 16 year old son on the slopes as he's far too cocky (just starting to get in shape now - 9 weeks to go)
3) Encourage the SO to have a lesson on her first day, and not the fourth rolling eyes
4) Enter the local GS race
snow conditions
Fr0sty the Sn0wman wrote:
jonm wrote:
Got to agree. That and not get injured are my goals.

> ditto, I always congratulate myself at the end of any ski trip, that I am still in one-piece and ready for the next ski trip Very Happy

> read a piste map, and navigate the mountain without getting lost

> any improvement on any of my skiing would be good, but I guess ultimately this year I'd like to be more confident off-piste

> to ski in Ischgl, I think I have persuaded my friends that this is a good option

> to ski as many weeks as last year, but this is looking extremely unlikely ATM Sad
ski holidays
Ronald, take a look at http://forums.epicski.com (am I allowed to say that? Little Angel ) - they've got lots of videos that people put up for the resident instructors to analyse.

As for me: forget everything I learned on my CSCF course, so that I can do some more CSIA stuff, and then, hopefully (finally) sort out a job at Whistler that doesn't involve teaching kids (maybe a bit of coaching them mind). If that doesn't pull off, I'd like a podium at the RN Ski Champs in GS snowHead Madeye-Smiley .
latest report
Fr0sty the Sn0wman, Hurtle, Thank you - I will dig out the piste map and review. Just a nice easy one to begin with - I'll have a weeks + extra skiing and some more lessons behind me when I'd be looking at trying one in VT and providing that has gone OK I can't see why it should be out of reach for me - esp. as the Orelle red was so god-awful this year. A nice easy one though - so it will have to be on decent snow like the after lunch time you suggested.
snow report
Get fit and dont get hurt this season trying to keep up with the 20 somethings Toofy Grin And, pass at least 1 of 2 courses booked...

Stretch goal :- passing both courses and start to telemark at half term break...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Concentrate on improving in off piste and bumps.

Half an eye on gates to improve my chances of getting Coach Level 2 perhaps towards the end of the season.
latest report
Aren't there two (or even 3?) different routes down the top bit of Goitschel? The one furthest from the lift is much less crowded....... wink
snow report
Get more consistent off-piste.

Beat the kids in GS races.
snow conditions
Megamum, oops, don't take any notice of my recommendation, I've copied the following from another thread:-

Quote:
skimottaret, this is relevant to something I posted on another thread, but I'd like to check it out, so that I don't mislead anybody...the VT black that's off the back of Cime de Caron, that joins up with Gentiane and Maurienne (sp?) on the way down to the Rosael chair - it's not very black, is it? I did it in good conditions, but it didn't seem hard.

Hurtle, you mean the one going to the 4th valley? hmmmm..... In good conditions it is quite easy but i took two kids down it last year and the visibility was awful and it is narrow in places and hard to tell if you are on or off piste....
The whole link to the 4th valley is like that the wind gets up and the snow blows all over making the skiing pretty hairy... I dont go there unless there is no wind.

Just goes to show how careful you should be about listening to other people's recommendations. I'm glad I double-checked with someone who knows!
ski holidays
Hurtle, Thank you for following it up, all comments noted. In good weather it sounds easier, but admit to not being a huge fan of 'narrow' maybe it will need another year!! snowHead
snow report
Megamum, after seeing your video from last year i think that run would be too ambitious for you...
ski holidays
Last season my goal was to improve my skiing sufficient to take and pass the BASI Level 1 course.

This season I'd like to improve further, particularly off piste and bumps, such that I can think about doing the BASI Level 2 course. I'm still in a state of amazement that I passed the Level 1, so this may be a pipe dream, but I'm going to try really hard to achieve it. I know BASI Level 2 is a modest level of technical ability on the grand scale of things, but for me it would be a massive effort and achievement, given my chronic illness, badly injured left leg (from a road traffic accident 10 years ago), and the fact I've only been skiing since 2005.

I'd quite like to win another race too. I did that last season and it wasn't even on my list of things to do!
snow report
Megamum wrote:

If it's the piste I'm thinking of (coming down from Col de la Chambre) it's called Marielle on my piste map Puzzled although the name 'Goitschel' does ring a bell... But yes, that's a good idea for a first black - it's really not hard at all (especially if you take the RH route from the top - but neither route is exactly 'black'). Don't leave it until too late in the day, though, not in April - it gets the sun, & it also gets hacked about by the people coming back from the other valleys. Pehaps just before lunch on a nice day...

Goals for me : just get better! And go at least as often as last year & enjoy myself at least as much if not more (which is a big ask!) Very Happy snowHead
snow report
To win another ski holiday snowHead
ski holidays
Goal? I ski to escape the pressure of this goal oriented world... Sad

I've got plenty in the more serious part of my life (job, finance, relationship, health etc), the last thing I need is to have a ski goal!

I skied better than I ever thought I could. Wink

When I started, I only wanted to cruise around the wide, red pistes. Then I found myself on top of a black one and there's no alternative. Skiing it wasn't as hard as I thought, it turned out. That was my only skiing goal and I already achieved it! Smile Though I continue to take lessons and immitate better skiers so now blacks are no problem. And I can manage even when conditions are non-ideal and full of monster bumps. Still, it wasn't something I purposely set out to achieve.

I do want to get a bit more pratice at jumping off small cliffs (the landing bits, that is). And I've been dabbling at deep powder (when available), re-freezed powder (on my way to potential powder) and trees (when there's no open, easy powder). But I'm not anywhere near in "mastering" any of them. Nor am I sure I ever will. No more than whether I ever will ski blacks on my first season of skiing.

So, I have no skiing goals. At least not for next season. Wink
snow report
Jo225 wrote:
Megamum wrote:

If it's the piste I'm thinking of (coming down from Col de la Chambre) it's called Marielle on my piste map Puzzled although the name 'Goitschel' does ring a bell... But yes, that's a good idea for a first black - it's really not hard at all (especially if you take the RH route from the top - but neither route is exactly 'black'). Don't leave it until too late in the day, though, not in April - it gets the sun, & it also gets hacked about by the people coming back from the other valleys. Pehaps just before lunch on a nice day...

Goals for me : just get better! And go at least as often as last year & enjoy myself at least as much if not more (which is a big ask!) Very Happy snowHead

Yes that one it's very short so if bottle is lost it's not that far to slide/walk. I think I skied it with Crazy Skier Jules at the EoSB before last and that was her first black (I may be wrong) snowHead
snow conditions
My goals.... 30 days in Scotland and to ski deeper snow better...
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy