Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How do you know if you've outgrown your skis

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

I've got a pair of K2 skis that I've had for 4 years now and I've used them 2-3 weeks each season. Since buying them my skiing has improved no end.

As my skiing improves how do I know that it is time to move on up? Are there any tell-tale signs that say I'm pushing the skis beyond their ability?

I'm off skiing for a week early in December I would like to try and look out for any signs that says I can justify blowing some money on a new pair!!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nibbler, welcome to snowHead

The fact that in your mind you have already asked the question, to me, says if you haven't already 'out grown' them, you are about to!

4 x 2-3 per year isn't bad for a pair of skis and they've probably got loads of life left in them but why not test some new skis in December. Draw up a rough short list of skis that you might be able to try where you are going and see what you think.

In all honesty it is unlikely that you have actually outgrown them unless they are from the very low end of the spectrum and designed for beginners. A general rule would be that a more advanced ski would be a little stiffer all over than an easier ski, without seeing you and the way you ski nobody can answer your question on a website.

YOU NEED NEW SKIS.

Does that make you feel better?

Post up some stuff about your style and your personal stats (weight, height, blah blah blah) and one of the other skispotters will be able to help!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nibbler, you'll only know by hiring something higher up the scale - you should expect to find it a handful to start with, but should be getting to grips with it after a day or two. If you are still clinging on for grim death by day three, or are finding them too tiring (probably becoz you are skidding them as they are too stiff for you) then go back to what you know.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for your replies.

I hadn't really thought that renting may be a way to investigate as, in my experience, the rental companies rarely seem to have much choice - but then again I haven't rented for the last 4 years so things could have changed. Perhaps a bit late for December as I've already donated the ski carriages fees to Easyjet - I always book flights within days of them announcing the free carriage offer! In fact one time it was 2 hours before the promotion email landed in my inbox!

I was wondering about this topic after reading some ski reviews which say things like "can be pushed beyond the top level".

I do really enjoy my skis and to be honest, I'm quite happy to stick with them but I have to admit being curious to the feel of something more advanced!

My skis aren't from the bottom of the bottom, but they're not much above! They're K2 Tru Loves at 165cm (i think).

Height = 5' 10"
Weight = 11st 7lbs
Skill = Happy on the average reds, will go down Blacks but not with any style. My confidence is growing with each week but I'm not agressive. Had a nasty fall last year which means I really do worry when I hear ice. Not yet started with off-piste really but would like to think I could soon.

Now I write it all down, I think my skis are probably about the right level for me!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Nibbler, female, I take it? Which boots are you in? You have the pearlescent Tru Luvs? When were they last tuned?

You could find skis of approximately the same dimensions or maybe 3-6 mm wider that are -far- better on icey terrain but the first thing to check is a balanced stance without heel wiggle so you can actually edge them.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Nibbler, welcome to snowheads. I'm on the "ski and board camp" in Tignes at the moment and been trying out some of the different skis on offer here. I find it difficult to make fine distinctions between different skis - but one thing I'm quite sure about is that the ski lessons I've had for the past few days, with a great instructor, have done far more for my skiing than any particular different pair of skis would. I've generally found instructors not too interested in what skis people are on - at the sort of level most of us ski at an improvement in technique, or the sort of daft thing we all do on bad days, on when we are tired, will make more difference than a change of ski. So given that you like your present skis, and still feel you are improving on them, I'd recommend you spend the money on some extra lessons instead. wink I've skied with some people who make a big production about what sort of skis they have, and keep buying new ones, and can't ski for toffee.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy