Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Metro ski show has gone downhill

Poster: A snowHead
Linds, were you able to have a face-to-face chat with Nick Parks? Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yoda wrote:

That's a bit below the belt Wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yoda, rolling eyes

Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We are getting off topic - free beer - where? Keep to the important issues. Cool
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Jonpim, Good to hear, my kids are very small and don't have long memorys but last year was so memorable they are excited about going again, I' m looking forward to it too Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
CEM, Bode Swiller, ... where will this free beer be then... or should i just look out for Kerry Katona Toofy Grin going tomorrow!

Well, it sounds like i'll be able to do my weekly shop at tesco anyway !!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We're going on Saturday - I'm hoping for enough to keep the kids 6 & rising 9 interested. I've never been before so will try and keep an open mind.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Libertine wrote:
CEM, Bode Swiller, ... where will this free beer be then... or should i just look out for Kerry Katona Toofy Grin going tomorrow!

Well, it sounds like i'll be able to do my weekly shop at tesco anyway !!

There was a bit of a big clue in one of CEM's posts
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well, the husband has just rung after his afternoon at the ski show. He's - apparently - bought me a Christmas present, and something for the boys and - of course - himself. Says he didn't see any beanbags! There is a massive Tesco stand, selling all sorts of stuff....the mind boggles
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anniepen, not stirring but are you sure he went to the show? Tesco stand is long but not massive and I counted 3 bean bag stands.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So if I go to Warren Millers stand and say I'm Spyderman I get lots of free beer Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Boredsurfing, OK, I'll pass on a trade secret... once you get into the show (ground floor), turn left and walk all the way around the outside aisle until you reach the Zillertal stand. This is a very nice truck trailer all decked out as a bar. Most people walk on by because it looks a bit swanky and expensive. Actually... THE BEER IS FREE. I'll say that again... THE BEER IS FREE. Only catch is that the barman asks for a tip (monetary not smartarse jokey) but that lovely smooth Zillertal beer is worth it. We had three and dropped a fiver in the pot while others passed on by looking for a less swanky-looking bar Laughing

Next stop should indeed be the Warren Miller Film stand which is near the front entrance. I happen to know that they have a secret stash of Corona (no lime tho' the cheapskates). Suggest the strategy here is to buy DVDs and mention that free beer is all part of the deal. Otherwise, be charming and make sexual advances... that normally works (did for me).

Frankly, you gotta do something to prepare yourself for living on food stamps in a few years time when the banks all go pop for real. I bought 2 very average pre-packed sarnies and 2 bottles of water... £12 Shocked . Free beer is the only way forward.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I note Bode Swiller's excellent guide for alcoholics visiting the Metro Ski Show

But for those taking kids, like Frosty and Megamum, I have this advice:

1. Study the timetable. My 16 year old enjoyed both the Spine Jump and the Fashion Show. He missed the Ice Sculpture and Husky Dogs, but I think most kids would enjoy both.

2. As soon as you arrive, head for stand 411 - 3rd stand on right down the centre aisle - and pick up a copy of the Official Guide, cunningly attached to the back of the November Daily mail Ski and Snowboard magazine. If you can do it, then put your blinkiers on, head straight down the central aisle, up the stairs, and study the Show Guide while looking down on the hall from above. If you want a seat go round to the World Food Pavilion (excellent "hot dogs" from nearby sausage stand). Alternatively, plonk yourselves down at the World Resorts Village Bar and study it there. Even better if you do this before you arrive.

3. Things for kids (and adults): Ice Rink, Skiers Edge, Bucking Cow, Snowbaord Simulator, Cocount Shy, Realli Ski.

If all else fail, bung 'em in the Mark Warner Creche.

For a quiet coffee, head for the corner near the Midnight Gallery stand (between G70 and G88). Kids can amuse themselve having "snowball" fight in nearby transparent igloo.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thought it was actually better than last year - probably cos they had the gourmet sausages back though at the expense of the pasty van.

Good to see kiwi1 to get some of the wdf stoke and briefly CEM.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Can anyone lists the snowHead that have a stand there?
snow conditions
Yoda wrote:
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
For all those perplexed by Frosty's and Yoda's comments:
both Linds and Nick are Hobbits.
ski holidays
Anyway, the main thing is I'll be there tomorrow.
Easy to spot me: i'll be the cool good looking french duuuuuude! Toofy Grin
latest report
Quote:

both Linds and Nick are Hobbits.

Jonpim, Hobbit, you calling me a hobbit Shocked I will think of a reply it just may take me some time rolling eyes
Frosty the Snowman, NehNeh

Megamum, Hate to have to say it but follow Jonpim, advice and hed upstair where the kids will get a great view of the ski ramp.[b]Frosty the
ski holidays
36s on the bull. Anyone here do better?
ski holidays
andytb,
I'll let you know sunday! Very Happy
ski holidays
36s on the bull. Anyone here do better?
latest report
here's the echo...

Kruisler wrote:
andytb,
snow report
Kruisler, make sure you look old and frail and wrinkley. Then they'll be a lot gentler with the controls.
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
look old and frail and wrinkley

simply impossible! wink
snow report
Kruisler, and anyone else there, I shall be sporting a black mamut top with the mamoth in red on the front and the legend Footworks, Chamonix emblazoned in silver across my shoulders, hopefully at most times the minimums should be with me and also BMF_skier - if you see us please stop us and say 'hi'
latest report
There's a stand on the top floor selling toffee flavoured vodka - really good.
snow conditions
Kruisler wrote:
here's the echo...

Kruisler wrote:
andytb,

Whoops, posting from the mobile and the signal kept dropping on the train Little Angel

erica2004 wrote:
There's a stand on the top floor selling toffee flavoured vodka - really good.

There was a fella downstairs selling it too. I was able to get a can of redbull from one of the stall fridges (loads of stalls have them) and some of the free Jager from somewhere right near the catwalk, only lunchtime, deary me!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have just printed out these useful hints and tips for some light reading on the train tomorrow. Thanks everyone
ski holidays
Went with the kids yesterday and wished we hadn't! Didn't have a choice this year and had to go Saturday but never again, was heaving. Very large queues on the things the boys were interested in so we gave up. Shops were too busy (eldest was looking at gloves and wrist guards) so left that too rolling eyes

And to top it all, it appears that I missed both toffee vodka stands Toofy Grin

Think maybe it's something to do every other year at the most..........
snow report
Lou, maybe best to go in the week, if you can. It was very quiet Wednesday.
latest report
Jonpim wrote:
Lou, maybe best to go in the week, if you can. It was very quiet Wednesday.

Ditto v. quiet on thursday, could pretty much walk upto any stand and be attended too immediately - this was from 1 to about 4. Can't say i was there for much longer than 2.5 hrs though. I though it was going to get me more excited about the forthcoming winter...but it didn't really.. perhaps I've been to or been at too many exhibitions)

I guess if you didn't have much of a clue about various resorts then it would be great place to go and chat to lots of resorts who were all there promoting there places. There were several nicley themed 'collections' i.e where you could visit all the key canadian resorts in one section etc.
ski holidays
Well, I had a good time, but I don't have kids. It was exactly what I expected. We were in the market for a holiday and were very pleased with the info at all the British Columbia stands. We had specific questions about accommodation in one resort and they were well answered. We got 2 very good quotes inc 10% show discount which they will hold for us.

Mr HL bought a pairt of apache Recons (2008 model) for £335 (cheaper than Sport Conrad), 2009 model is about £460. We aren't in the market for all the whizzy new gear so the retail stands were fine for us.

Free beer and wine, if you knew where to look wink
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, Glad you had a good time - I reckon your text came in about 5 mins after I'd checked for one - there was such a hubbub there that I don't think I would have heard the message signal.

We had a really good time at the show, the kids did everything, they painted the big canvas picture, had their piccy done with the husky dogs, tried the Realli ski machine, skated (so did I and was impressed with the new 'made' surface- far better than the old plastic surfaces used to be), had a look at the ice sculptures, got free T shirts, tried the bean bag coconut shy, watched the ski/snowboard jumping, saw the landrover driving up the slope. We were there 6 hours before they run out of steam and we had to leave and by then we hadn't seen it all - I could done another 1.5-2hrs easily. I would have liked a look at kids helmets and boys jackets too, and there was lots we just didn't see in the back of the exhibition hall, though we did meet up with Kiwi1 there and it was good to catch up with him. We also did lots of shopping!! (see how 'baggy is too baggy' in the equipment posting board).

I certainly wouldn't haven't any hesitation in going again Very Happy
ski holidays
they should make it a bit cooler in the hall..far to hot..

the toffee vodka from the welsh guys was far nice then the stuff from up stairs..so got 2 bottles of that.

would have liked to have some more manufacturers their..but found some resorts that might check out now that I didn't know about before.

and nobody seemed to be landing any of the big air demos.

I now have a number of large stacks of brochures and dvds on the living room floor.
latest report
papasmurf wrote:
I now have a number of large stacks of brochures and dvds on the living room floor.

snap Laughing
ski holidays
Its amazing how much you can fit in those free Surfanic bags they were giving out. Very Happy
ski holidays
papasmurf, agreed - 2 x metro ski show bags & a norway carrier bag Laughing
snow conditions
We ended up with 4 x metro ski show bags, but missed the Surfanic ones. The Metro ones were really good for the kids - I put their fleeces in them and they carried them round the show and put in all their brochures and postcards that they collected.
snow report
papasmurf, They were quite large iirc Very Happy We seem to have quite a few red French Alp ones .............

Megamum, I think we were all a bit tired (well, very) after a particularly mad week and extra long journey up (how come I always seem to cop engineering works Evil or Very Mad ?). We probably got there at about 12.30 and it was all a bit mad.

I noticed too that nobody seemed to be landing the big air demos. I take my hat off to them though - one of the Swedish guys had never been on an artificial slope before and here he was in front of hundreds of people doing his stuff Shocked
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy