Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Jacket

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I was looking at purchasing either the Rab Latok, or the Lowe Alpine Peak jacket. They are mainly going to be used for hiking, and light mountaineering. Do you think they would be suitible to wear whilst skiing in france this Feb with the correct amount of layering?!

Thanks
snow report
 brian
brian
gream0604, yep, should be fine.

Welcome to snowHead s.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Would you have any preferance out of the two? The Rab is about £50 more but the Lowe seems to have more features?

Thanks for the quick reply?!!!
snow conditions
 brian
brian
gream0604, the Rab is made of eVent fabric which is pretty highly thought of in most reviews. The Lowe seems to be made of their own stuff which is unlikely to be quite as good although I would still think it'd be perfectly adequate for every day skiing use.

I take it we're not talking multi day tours above 4000m sleeping in snow-holes here ?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
ps. this seems quite a good deal on the Rab

http://www.freetime1.co.uk/store/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=403
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No, its just going to be every day skiing like you said and light mountaineering e.g. snowdon in the winter, and Ben Nevis.

Thanks
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
brian, The Lowe fabrics are fairly good. Triple point ceramic (as used in the famous Mountain Cap) has stood up to plenty of abuse.
snow report
 brian
brian
Scarpa, yeah, I rate Lowe gear as well. eVent is meant to be all singing all dancing more breathable than xcr etc. though. So I was just guessing that's probably why the Rab is a tad more pricy ?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers Guys, i'm still undecided wether to go for the Rab or the Lowe Jacket.

I have heard that Rab tend to be better for down Jackets, and that Lowe seems to be pretty good.

Any more suggestions/reccommendations?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It always used to be that Gore tex was second to quite a few materials re breathability, but once you add the waterproofing then Gore-Tex came out on top... how much waterproofability you want is down to you...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I need it to be completely waterproof as the jacket will also be used for walking, hiking and light mountaineering as well as skiing. I have heard that the eVent material is supposed to be pretty good, but it just pushes the Rab a little over my budget. Lowe use their own 'Triplepoint material' im not sure how good that actually is when it comes to actually using it in the field.

Outdoors magic gave the Lowe Peak Jacket a pretty good reveiw, so i think that with the lower cost might sway me towards the Lowe. Does anybody have any other suggestions to a decent jacket for what i want to use if for for under £120??

Thanks
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A decent poly cotton waterproofed jacket should do well if you keep it proofed...

or .... SPAM ... look at my jacket for sale in "Buy Sell Exchange"
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have a degre 7 jacket and it is toast. At the MK ski show the other day, a woman on the rosingnol stand asked me to try one of the jackets she had on the rail - i went out on the slope and within 2 runs I was frozen to the bone.

it was meant to be a performance ski jacket - i was shocked

in the army we were always taught to keep layers to minimum - the reason for this is that heat will escape through the layers if they let it and it will soon become too far away from the skin for it to hold warm nearby. so we had to be more sensible about layering - the heat holding layer - probably the outer skin of the jacket can't be too many layers from the skin. another problem with too many layers is water wicking - too many layers will eventually hold your sweat, no matter if they are wicking and breathable - the body heat won't let it evaporate and the water is then trapped - that will make you cold.

so don't be fooled into thinking that you can substitute the real thing and add base layers.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy