Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How baggy is too baggy?..................

Poster: A snowHead
FastEddie wrote:
STOP CLAIMING THAT A 42" WAIST IS 'MEDIUM', OAKLEY.

And to all the other manufacturers - STOP CLAIMING THAT UK 12/14 IS EXTRA LARGE!!!!

Aaaahhhhhh I feel better now Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well Megamum's ultra baggy TKMaxgear has been replaced! Despite protestations about not being brand orientated she has finally decided... Eider jacket and Vist ski pants are this years ensemble. Shocked

How anyone would ever pay the full price is beyond me!! Both were IMHO bargains. An Eider Jacket, was £300 for £150 and Vist ski pants that were £350 for £100. Very Happy Very Happy

The only other cost was the time spent trolling through the sale racks. Originally there was only a jacket in the bag, but on a final walk round we saw a friendly face Kiwi1 at the Icelantic \Whitedotfreeride stands and a set of pants completed the days purchases!

A now 'non-baggy suited' Megamum will 'grace' the pistes this season. The new question is will she find it it embarassing if to be with us mere mortals?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BMF_Skier, well done! I'm sure Megamum didn't need much persuading. Pictures please Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
BMF_Skier, but what colour are they
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, losing a whole lot of weight is really the only good excuse to buy some new gear. wink
But unless you're still a lot heavier than me I'd be wary of DINs set on 5. I'm 10 stone, and ski quite fast on a good day, and mine are set at 3.5. Just spent 3 days on the glacier in Tignes, doing a whole lot of things with an instructor, including skiing repeatedly over a low snow wall (practising compression turns), and a couple of falls, and there was never any pre-release problems. They didn't release on the falls, either, quite rightly, as there was no big twisting involved. I wouldn't be happier with a higher setting, given the fragility of my knees and the fact that I don't ski the sort of death-defying stuff where a pre-release would be a disaster. Why not set them down to 4 and dial them up again if there a problem?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
pam w, depends on your sole length as well as your weight though.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What BMF_Skier, of course, won't say or even imply because it may ruin his 'roughty toughty' image, but I think you all ought to know is that my new gear = Christmas presents from him Very Happy Very Happy Apparently he was going to be too embarassed to accompany me onto the slopes in my 'baggy' gear Laughing Laughing and saw this as an excuse to treat me (I reckon I'll have to lose another 3 stone next year Laughing wink )

However, it transpires that this is not all of my Christmas present Shocked I have been told about the second part this weekend at the ski show and, given that I will not be able to contain myself, by all accounts its OK for me to share with my friends here. I am being taken to VT for long weekend the 13/14th December, flying from Stansted on the Friday and back from VT Monday afternoon, hence the 'more urgent' need for gear that I didn't look like a, quote, 'bag lady in', unquote.
Laughing Laughing
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Pictures to follow when I get a moment.

3 lots of skiing this season, and all with my new chap Very Happy Very Happy . Am I just the luckiest Megamum or what? Very Happy Very Happy

Thank you BMF_Skier!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, well, great! Get thee down to TK Maxx soonest. snowHead
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, excellent Very Happy. what a gent BMF_Skier is Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, stab, My boots are 305mm, I am 179cm. They were set against charts to DIN 5 - chart said 6 for the weight that I was, but the shop backed them off by 1 due to my inexperience. Now I ski much better, but am lighter, and tend to feel that one should balance off the other fact. I'll look up those charts that are in other threads and check, but 5 still sounds about right given that argument. MK also went with 5 for mucking around on their hire skis the other week so it can't be far out.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, Cool but you haven't told us girls the important bit . . . what colour ?

Well done BTW - I have up until this year had a new ski jacket every year, albeit it TKMaxx cheapies. Toofy Grin

My ski bindings are usually set on Din 5 and I am just under 10st 5'7" , size 4.5 boots but ski quite fast.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Megamum, Top post...

*IncogSkiSno*, trust you.. wink I'm guessing Orange... and second guess is a Green...

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 26-10-08 22:14; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
stab, for a given weight/experience of skier, does a longer sole length argue for a higher DIN setting, or a lower one? The tables that the ski guy in Tignes last week had actually gave me a setting of 3 - which is lower than other tables have produced - so I'm confused, because in the past I have had to insist to get that setting (in S & R I had to sign a disclaimer!). However, since I prefer to take the risk of a fall due to a pre-release, rather than a fall which shafts my knee again because of post-release, I shall continue with a setting of 3, which hasn't given me any problems so far. If I start shooting down steep couloirs maybe I'll think again but for cruising round pistes I'm not worried by the prospect of a fall due to a pre-release (it's unlikely to be more painful than some of the shuddering crashes I've had off my snowboard). Short term pain I can manage, but I am a bit paranoid about twisting my knee which could put me out of action for a season.

Congrats on the new outfit, Megamum. Are you going to keep the old one in case you put the weight back on? wink
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum wrote:
They were set against charts to DIN 5 - chart said 6 for the weight that I was, but the shop backed them off by 1 due to my inexperience.

I'd stick them on 5.5 but seriously never listen to me, if they arent popping off everytime you fart then and you're happy with it then its ok. In work the computer tells me what do do, then 9 times out of 10 the english argue about what the computer says, I argue back, normally resulting in a "well why not snowboard then? You'ld already be out of the shop by now" set the bindings how the customer wants then write on the printout for the cash desk "customer wants this setting, have advised this is wrong etc etc", last thing I want is some peanut to argue over din settings, get me to change them then smack themselves up and come back and blame me, got to cover my ass really.
snow report
pam w, smaller sole length = higher din (not much though), the smaller the boot the more leverage you can get on it kind of thing.

hahaha, look at me all ski guru Laughing
ski holidays
JT, I am trying to be a good girl this season, honest ! Little Angel (getting some skis instead, hopefully)
ski holidays
Quote:

the smaller the boot the more leverage you can get on it kind of thing.

interesting. I'd have thought it was the other way round. Longer = more leverage. Just goes to show that instinct is not necessarily a good guide. Meanwhile, you can be sure my skis don't come off every time I fart, or they'd have had to be cranked up years ago. wink
snow conditions
pam w, yeah but like I said, listening to me should be a last resort.
snow conditions
Megamum, wow, great news! snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Firstly, Megamum, thank you for the thank you Smile (not necessary though).
Secondly, anyone with binding release setting questions, there is a industry standard chart that gives Release Values based on weight, height, type of skier and boot size. If anyone suggests you dont need to refer to this chart, or pulls Release Values out of the air, please dont listen to them!
Releasing too easily = bad
Not releasing = bad

This is only part of the safety equation. It requires a correct installed binding as well as the tensioning device \ indicator on the rear bindings being set. These can critically affect the Release Values. Please have a qualified ski technician take responsibility for the set up. snowHead
ski holidays
Megamum, 13/14th Dec VT Shocked Watch out for Boywonder and the rest of the Royal Navy on drinking tour. Shocked Shocked Shocked Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
Spyderman, Apparently its the start of their ski and snowboarding event too - should be plenty going on snowHead I'm sure Boywonder and the Royal Navy drinking tour will have a great week - tell him I have snowheads stickers on my helmet if he spots me and wants to say 'Hi', but I expect that they will be too busy drinking and skiing (note the order of those two Laughing ) - I hope he has a good a time as we hope to.

JT, So Orange? Well they may have been if I had found the Vist gear on Kiwi1's stand before we had already spent some cash - they had some great matched orange gear. Green? Well my mother would have said that it would have gone with my eyes, but yes, I had a look at it, but I didn't like the shade of it - a rather dusky lime colour. Then there seemed to be this fashion of a fake fur trim on everything - I've never been keen on that - I find on things like children's coats it so quickly looks taggy. Then there was the more fitted style with a belt, but why on earth put a belt at hip level rather than at waist level? It was at the point that I think BMF_Skier, and the Minimums realised that this could be a more lengthy process than they had first imagined Laughing Well, it's not my fault is it? I find shopping difficult - things have to be just so, the more obscure (but for one year only) fashionable colours and tailoring are going to 'date' so quickly - and I didn't really like them anyway, I had no preparation time did I? I was just presented with shops and was asked to 'shop'!! Just thank heavens they didn't ask me to buy a pair of shoes, we'd have done half of London Laughing In the finish it came down to a choice of two jackets - Schoeffel and Eider - both in..........................Red!!!! That's a bit more timeless eh? with black ski pants. Rejoice Snowheads you can now leave your sunglasses at home Laughing Laughing

snow report
Spyderman, any bloke posting on this thread is a disgrace to the race... oh, hang on... damn it...
snow report
Megamum, Red and Black is indeed timeless..I wear it myself... Laughing
latest report
I bet you both look like post boxes on the piste, for god's sake dont stand still with your mouths open.
snow report
Megamum, I've never, ever known anyone who has matched their ski gear with their carpet before wink

. . . actually it looks orange in the small pic, but obviously that is just the lighting - it looks like nice quality gear and very smart to boot, I am sure BMFSkier will be proud to show you off in that set-up on the slopes this season. Very Happy
ski holidays
stab, Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing I'm watching Spooks, which is scaring me witless, and I'm still laughing my head off at that!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
*IncogSkiSno*, Laughing Laughing

stab, What Hurtle said.... Laughing Laughing Laughing (minus the spooks bit) Skullie
snow conditions
stab, LMAO Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
stab, actually I hadn't looked at it from that perspective Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
megamum, off piste
snow report
stab, LMAO Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
stab, Laughing Laughing I don't know what you're on, but I'll have a double please!! Laughing
ski holidays
stab, and she's wearing a racing bib too Toofy Grin
snow report
*IncogSkiSno* wrote:
stab, and she's wearing a racing bib too Toofy Grin

Laughing Laughing LMAO
latest report
Megamum, snow is coming, I've been waiting a long time for it.
snow conditions
Deary me I think *IncogSkiSno*'s, been on the bottle too Laughing Laughing You're all on form tonight snowHead
snow conditions
Half the people on the piste have red jacket and black trousers. The outfit looks good, and Eider jackets are really comfy. But is there not a photo of it on the owner, rather than the carpet? I think I might take a look at T K Maxx when my car is being serviced on Thursday. My current trousers are a little - er - tight!
ski holidays
pam w, I know where there's a nice orange pair going cheap wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy